Crucible of Worlds and Mox Diamond

Hi,

Simple question...
If Crucible of Worlds is in play under my control, can I cast Mox Diamond
and discard a land that is in the graveyard?
My gut feeling says: <<no, the land needs to be in your hand, not "as though
it is in your hand">>.

Can anyone tell me if I'm right, and why?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Eerie Teferi

"Eerie Teferi" <info@localimpact.com> writes:
e> Simple question...
> If Crucible of Worlds is in play under my control, can I cast Mox Diamond
> and discard a land that is in the graveyard?
> My gut feeling says: <<no, the land needs to be in your hand, not "as though
> it is in your hand">>.
>
> Can anyone tell me if I'm right, and why?

Yes, your gut feeling is correct here.

The crucible lets you do one (and only one) thing: Play a land card
(the normal putting-a-land-into-play) from your graveyard. It is *not*
anything like "play the game as though land cards were in your hand".

So you need to have an actual land card in your hand to play Mox
Diamond.

However, note that after discarding that land card to play the Mox,
you could then play the land card anyway from your graveyard. So, the
interaction is not *completely* useless.

> Thanks in advance for all your help.

You're welcome. Please post again if you have any more questions.

--
Peter C.
"What does that mean?"

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 07:41:13 GMT, "Eerie Teferi"
<info@localimpact.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Simple question...
>If Crucible of Worlds is in play under my control, can I cast Mox Diamond
>and discard a land that is in the graveyard?
>My gut feeling says: <<no, the land needs to be in your hand, not "as though
>it is in your hand">>.

Your gut is completely right.

All Crucible does is allow you to PLAY lands in your graveyard as if
they were in your hand, not discard them, cycle them, use them to
imprint something etc.

>Yes, your gut feeling is correct here.

Thanks a lot. :eek:)

> However, note that after discarding that land card to play the Mox,
> you could then play the land card anyway from your graveyard. So, the
> interaction is not *completely* useless.

Don't worry, I was aware of that part... :eek:)

Eerie Teferi

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 07:41:13 GMT, Eerie Teferi <info@localimpact.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Simple question...
>If Crucible of Worlds is in play under my control, can I cast Mox Diamond
>and discard a land that is in the graveyard?

No.

>My gut feeling says: <<no, the land needs to be in your hand, not "as though
>it is in your hand">>.

Actually, your gut feeling should be saying "this has nothing to do with the
act of 'playing a land'". Mox Diamond doesn't tell you to PLAY a land in any
way; it tells you to DISCARD one. Crucible of Worlds lets you -play- lands
from your graveyard; it doesn't let you do anything else with them from your
graveyard. Playing a land is your special one-per-turn action in your Main
phase where you lay a land into play, normally from your hand.

Dave

> All Crucible does is allow you to PLAY lands in your graveyard as if
> they were in your hand, not discard them, cycle them, use them to
> imprint something etc.

Thanks, Mark. :eek:)

Eerie Teferi

> Actually, your gut feeling should be saying "this has nothing to do with
the
> act of 'playing a land'". Mox Diamond doesn't tell you to PLAY a land in
any
> way; it tells you to DISCARD one. Crucible of Worlds lets you -play- lands
> from your graveyard; it doesn't let you do anything else with them from
your
> graveyard. Playing a land is your special one-per-turn action in your Main
> phase where you lay a land into play, normally from your hand.

Thanks, David. :eek:)

Eerie Teferi