Blue error screen then reboot

March 5, 2005 8:27:03 PM

Hi, I recently posted (3/3/05) questions regarding a blue error screen, with
the following question:

"Hi, ocassionally I am just minding my own business on my laptop when all of
sudden the screen goes blue, and an error message appears (DOS style) and the
system reboots 1 or 2 seconds later. This obviously does not give me time to
read the error of course so I don't know what is wrong or how to go about
fixing it. It's happened 3 times in total. Twice in one day about a week and
a half ago, and once today. Each time I was doing a different activity on the
computer so I don't believe they relate to something I'm doing at the time.

Can anybody help?"

I sorted the reboot out, but the error still appears. It says that it's an
error with hardware or software drivers, but I don't know which. I don't know
how to find out, so I used the system restore utility in order to restore my
laptop to before I remember the errors ocurring. But the error has happened
again since then (also, sometimes a serious error message pops-up when I turn
on the computer and log in.) Files involved include the following:
C:\DOCUME~1\ED-VYP~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc13b.dir00\Mini030305-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\ED-VYP~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc13b.dir00\sysdata.xml

I'm thinking of just backing up all my important files and formatting the
laptop in order to get rid of the error once and for all.

Any thoughts much appreciated.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 12:40:12 AM

You say "I sorted the reboot out, but the error still appears".
Just out of curiosity, what information is contained in the error
message? What is the stop error code displayed when you see the
blue screen? Is there any mention of a driver, something like
filename.sys? Have you installed all the latest updates,
including Service Pack 2, from Microsoft?

If you've been troubleshooting this problem for a few days and
making no progress then it may be time to either perform a repair
install or, as you suggest, a clean installation. Keep in mind
that reinstalling Windows will only repair a driver related
error. If your problem is with the physical hardware component,
e.g. bad memory, then the problem will soon reappear.

Note: If you've had to reinstall XP on this laptop before you can
disregard the following suggestions. You already know the drill.
Before you wipe out your hard drive, make sure you've got all the
CD's you need to get the job done. If you weren't supplied with
an XP CD or a recovery CD, check your laptops manual and
familiarize yourself with the operating system recovery
procedure. Make sure you've got the 25 digit product key needed
to activate your copy of XP. It's usually found on the bottom of
your laptop. It also doesn't hurt to download all the latest
drivers that are available from the manufacturer's web site and
put them on a CD.

Good luck

--
Nepatsfan