Problem whith Windows 2000 and doc files

spotlight

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2002
have put a second hard disk in a PC with Windows 2000 and Office XP installed. When i try to open the doc files from the second hard disk i get the message that the user doesn't have the rights to open the file. Also when i try to copy the same files i get the message "Access is denied. The source file may be in use" Any help?

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Sounds like you’re using NTFS, so I can only guess. I know if you click on something and it doesn’t work, and then try to save it and get the in use message. It sounds like it’s hung up, you could try rebooting then try to save it first. As for not being able to read it, do you also have Office XP on your main system?

When you feel that reality does not suit you, live a fantasy life.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
This could be a permissions issue.

Is there more than one person using the computer and do you have separate logins? If so you need to check the accounts to see who is in which user group and then the groups to see which group has permission to do what.

Office can also be set so that only the file's "owner" can open them. Check the settings there as well.

---><font color=green>It ain't better if it don't work</font color=green><---

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
When i select a file in windows explorer, i get the message "attributes : encrypted"
You need decryption key (it's called private key from the original computer that encrypted the file) to open it.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Are you supposed to have those files?

If so, just ask whoever encripted them.
If not, well... :smile:

---><font color=green>It ain't better if it don't work</font color=green><---

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The only way is going back to the computer that created and encrypted the file and exporting the private key to use on another comp.
<b><A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;241201" target="_new"><font color=red>HOW TO: Back Up the Recovery Agent Encrypting File System Private Key in Windows 2000</A></b></font color=red>

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

spotlight

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2002
The problem is that the disk that has the encrypted files, also has a corrupted Win2000 installation, that's why i put the hard disk on another pc

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I wonder what would happen if you converted to FATs with Partition Magic???

When you feel that reality does not suit you, live a fantasy life.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You should have backed up its recovery agent when you created encrypted file on that computer. Without it, there is no way (AFAIK) to decrypt it. Can you repair the original W2k using its CD?

spotlight

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2002
When i try to boot with the disk that has the encrypted files, i get the message "A disk read error occured" After passing the POST. i have checked the Hard disk with diagnostics and scandisk but no faults found