Nature's Revolt vs Ambush Commander

I was just wondering : What happens if you have both of these cards in
play at the same time? Are your forests both 1/1 and 2/2 creatures,
and so will die at one point of damage? or is there some other
explanation? Thanks in advance

Nature's Revolt
3GG, Enchantment, 7th Edition Rare
All lands are 2/2 creatures that are still lands.

Ambush Commander
3GG, Creature Elf 2/2, Scourge Rare
Forests you control are 1/1 green Elf creatures that are still lands.
{1}{G}, Sacrifice an Elf: Target creature gets +3/+3 until end of
turn.

On 25 Jul 2004 05:29:16 -0700, Barry Bobbit <barry@bobbybarrett.cjb.net> wrote:
>I was just wondering : What happens if you have both of these cards in
>play at the same time? Are your forests both 1/1 and 2/2 creatures,
>and so will die at one point of damage? or is there some other
>explanation? Thanks in advance

There is some other explanation.

>Nature's Revolt
>All lands are 2/2 creatures that are still lands.
>
>Ambush Commander
>3GG, Creature Elf 2/2, Scourge Rare
>Forests you control are 1/1 green Elf creatures that are still lands. /
>{1}{G}, Sacrifice an Elf: Target creature gets +3/+3 until end of turn.

Both of these have a static ability with a continuous effect. (The AC also
has an activated ability which isn't relevant for this question.) When there's
mor than one continuous effect affecting something - in this case, a Forest
land you control - you use timestamp and dependency to figure out the order.

This means: start with the effects applied in timestamp order. If any depend
on another effect, move the dependent one to after what it depends on, in
application order.

Here, Nature's Revolt makes lands into 2/2 land creatures; Ambush Commander
makes Forests you control into 1/1 green Elf land creatures. Neither one is
_changing_ what the other applies (or could apply) to; neither one is trying
to remove the other's ability. So they don't depend on each other.

So you use timestamp order, where they conflict; the affected Forests are
green and are Elves and are creatures, and are still lands. Whether they
are 1/1 or 2/2 green Elf land creatures hinges on which effect is timestamped
after the other; the later-timestamped one "overwrites" the power and toughness
from the earlier one.

And, for the final puzzle piece, the timestamp for each of these effects is
the time the permanent it's on came into play. (If they came into play at the
exact same time, say through Show and Tell, whoever is active player right then
determines their timestamp order; for continuous effect ordering to 'work
right' you can't ever have two effects with the same timestamp.)

So: they are 1/1 if the Nature's Revolt is newer than the AC, and they are
2/2 if the opposite is the case.

Dave

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004, Barry Bobbit wrote:

> I was just wondering : What happens if you have both of these cards in
> play at the same time? Are your forests both 1/1 and 2/2 creatures,
> and so will die at one point of damage? or is there some other
> explanation? Thanks in advance

It depends on timestamp order. The one that came last applies.

--

David

David de Kloet <dskloet@cs.vu.nl> ha scritto:

>It depends on timestamp order. The one that came last applies.

Applying first Ambush Commander, then Nature's Revolt, lands are still
green elves, right?
Thanks

AA

Acherontia atropos <andrea.mr@nospam.tin.it> wrote:
>David de Kloet <dskloet@cs.vu.nl> ha scritto:
>>It depends on timestamp order. The one that came last applies.
>
>Applying first Ambush Commander, then Nature's Revolt, lands are still
>green elves, right?

Yes; Nature's Revolt doesn't say it overwrites the creature type or color
in any way. (And the rules say that "are still lands" means they're still
any other permanent type they were before too - so it doesn't even overwrite
the 'creature' part of land creature. The only thing they try to set
_differently_ is the power and toughness of the land creatures...)

Dave