sunburst question

OK if you have a Pentad Prism can you pay MORE than 2 mana to cast it to get
more counters on it??
I'm pretty sure the answer is no because how can you pay for something MORE
than it's casting cost, but I am just checking

SNu0037 <snu0037@aol.com> wrote:

> OK if you have a Pentad Prism can you pay MORE than 2 mana to cast it to get
> more counters on it??

Only if you have something like Fist of Suns, your opponent has
something like Aura of Silence, or anybody has something like
Trinisphere.

> I'm pretty sure the answer is no because how can you pay for something MORE
> than it's casting cost, but I am just checking

When you pay the cost, that is what you pay. Not "at least the cost".
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

On 25 Jul 2004 23:24:29 GMT, SNu0037 <snu0037@aol.com> wrote:
>OK if you have a Pentad Prism can you pay MORE than 2 mana to cast it to get
>more counters on it??

No, not unless something is telling you to pay an additional cost (Sphere of
Resistance, etc.) or to pay an alternate cost (Fist of Suns, etc.).

>I'm pretty sure the answer is no because how can you pay for something MORE
>than it's casting cost, but I am just checking

The answer is in fact "you can't, unless something else is telling you to or
is allowing you to", correct.

Dave

"SNu0037" <snu0037@aol.com> wrote in message
> OK if you have a Pentad Prism can you pay MORE than 2 mana to cast it to
get
> more counters on it??
> I'm pretty sure the answer is no because how can you pay for something
MORE
> than it's casting cost, but I am just checking

Generally speaking, no. Two mana is the most you can pay. However, if
you played your Prism by using Fist of Suns, the Prism will see that you
paid WURGB for it and it will have five counters.

<<
>OK if you have a Pentad Prism can you pay MORE than 2 mana to cast it to get
>more counters on it??

Not without something that increases the mana cost or allows you to pay an
alternate cost with more mana (Fist of Suns works wonders)...

----
If [Michael Moore] makes a mistake in [F 9/11], it's not that he's careless
with the facts ... It's that he suggests Bush is the cause of our problems,
when, in fact, Bush is just the result.
--The Libertarian Lessons of Fahrenheit 9/11

SNu0037, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
> OK if you have a Pentad Prism can you pay MORE than 2 mana to cast it to get
> more counters on it??
> I'm pretty sure the answer is no because how can you pay for something MORE
> than it's casting cost, but I am just checking

There are many ways to do this, Fist of Suns being perhaps the most
obvious, but without something like that in play the answer is no. You
can't overpay for the Prism "just because".