number of cards in deck

what is the minimum number of cards allowed in your deck i've
heard both 40 and 60 i was just wondering which one it is.
3 answers Last reply
More about number cards deck
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:42:31 GMT, Marcus <jojothebadclown@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >what is the minimum number of cards allowed in your deck i've
    >heard both 40 and 60 i was just wondering which one it is.

    Depends.

    Are you playing outside of a tournament entirely, or playing in a tournament
    where you make yor deck beforehand and bring it to the tournament? If so,
    minimum number of cards is 60, and you can have only four of any one card
    (other than basic lands).

    Are you playing in a tournament where you get the cards for your deck AT THE
    TOURNAMENT and make the deck on the spot (Booster Draft, or Sealed Deck, which
    together make up "Limited" tournaments)? If so, then your deck has to be at
    least 40 cards, and there's no limit on how many of a card you can have other
    than 'how many did I manage to get?'.

    In short: constructed decks have to be 60 cards or more. Limited have to be
    40 cards or more.

    Dave
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    In <Xns9533B4F0CBC17jojothebadclownhotma@24.24.2.165> Marcus <jojothebadclown@hotmail.com> writes:

    > what is the minimum number of cards allowed in your deck i've
    > heard both 40 and 60 i was just wondering which one it is.

    That depends on the format you're playing.

    For constructed formats, where you make your deck at home and bring it
    with you, the minimum is 60.

    For sealed formats, where you're given some sealed packs of cards
    *after* you arrive and then you build your deck from those cards,
    the minimum is 40.

    --
    John Gordon "Between BST melee, their spells, their warders' melee,
    gordon@panix.com and their warders' procs, they put out enough damage

    Marcus wrote:

    > what is the minimum number of cards allowed in your deck i've
    > heard both 40 and 60 i was just wondering which one it is.

    Depends on the format you're playing. As a general rule, constructed
    decks have to be at least 60, while sealed deck/draft can be only 40.
    --
    Christopher Mattern

    "Which one you figure tracked us?"
    "The ugly one, sir."