Ahg! anyone else out there experienced this?

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I've been scouring the web the last couple hours to no avail... So i'm
posting here :)

Well, here's the deal. I've been dual-booting Windows XP home SP2 and
linux(with Grub) on my computer for awhile now, but I got a copy of Pro
from my school(MSDNAA)and i'm installing it on a new 160 gig drive I
just bought. Well, I disconnected my 80 gig so that windows doesn't see
it because I still wanted to be able to boot into it, no problems
installing just problems dual booting from the other drive, And I figure
it has to do with the fact that the 80 gig wasn't plugged in when I
installed pro, So I put in the pro cd and reboot to install windows with
the 80 gig plugged in this time.

Here's my problem, I get to "Setup is inspecting your computer's
configuration..." and I see that for a few seconds when the screen goes
blank with the HD access light non-stop on. Now here's whats weird, I
disconnected the 160 gig, still does it, But if I disconnect the 80 gig,
it works normally. Any ideas?

Also, My 160 gig is on a seperate PCI IDE controller, and the 80 gig is
on the motherboard, Don't know if this could affect it

Thanks ahead of time,
-Ben

You can't have another hd plugged in to any of the IDE extensions but the
one youre trying to install xp on to.

"Ben" wrote:

> I've been scouring the web the last couple hours to no avail... So i'm
> posting here :)
>
> Well, here's the deal. I've been dual-booting Windows XP home SP2 and
> linux(with Grub) on my computer for awhile now, but I got a copy of Pro
> from my school(MSDNAA)and i'm installing it on a new 160 gig drive I
> just bought. Well, I disconnected my 80 gig so that windows doesn't see
> it because I still wanted to be able to boot into it, no problems
> installing just problems dual booting from the other drive, And I figure
> it has to do with the fact that the 80 gig wasn't plugged in when I
> installed pro, So I put in the pro cd and reboot to install windows with
> the 80 gig plugged in this time.
>
> Here's my problem, I get to "Setup is inspecting your computer's
> configuration..." and I see that for a few seconds when the screen goes
> blank with the HD access light non-stop on. Now here's whats weird, I
> disconnected the 160 gig, still does it, But if I disconnect the 80 gig,
> it works normally. Any ideas?
>
> Also, My 160 gig is on a seperate PCI IDE controller, and the 80 gig is
> on the motherboard, Don't know if this could affect it
>
> Thanks ahead of time,
> -Ben

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Though Here's the thing, I unplugged the 160 and it still did it...

> You can't have another hd plugged in to any of the IDE extensions but the
> one youre trying to install xp on to.

LOL.

--
William