How to activate password when resume from screensaver ?

March 6, 2005 3:33:02 AM

I'm a Win Xp Home User and I want to password protect my computer after being
resumed from screensaver. Under "Display/Screensaver" tab, the checkbox is
supposed to show "When resume, password required". But my computer is
showing, "When resume, show welcome page". Would you please tell me how I can
activate a password for the screensaver ? Please help me out. Thank you.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 3:39:22 AM

"Baggio" <Baggio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm a Win Xp Home User and I want to password protect my computer after
> being
> resumed from screensaver. Under "Display/Screensaver" tab, the checkbox is
> supposed to show "When resume, password required". But my computer is
> showing, "When resume, show welcome page". Would you please tell me how I
> can
> activate a password for the screensaver ? Please help me out. Thank you.

You user account must have a paasword. You cannot assign a different
password for the screensaver like Win 98 does.

--
William
Anonymous

Requiring the welcome screen is the same thing. You will have to enter your
password to reenter your account. Using the terms "welcome screen" as
opposed to "require password" was a change when a service pack was
installed. Both have the same effect.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Baggio" <Baggio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm a Win Xp Home User and I want to password protect my computer after
> being
> resumed from screensaver. Under "Display/Screensaver" tab, the checkbox is
> supposed to show "When resume, password required". But my computer is
> showing, "When resume, show welcome page". Would you please tell me how I
> can
> activate a password for the screensaver ? Please help me out. Thank you.
Related resources
March 6, 2005 4:19:34 PM

You must have installed Microsoft.net Framework and not have SP installed.
That will cause the problem you have. There should be a box beside "When
resume, password required" that can be unchecked then a password is not
required.

If you install SP2 and get all the updates, this becomes a NON issue.

Good luck
"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Baggio" <Baggio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I'm a Win Xp Home User and I want to password protect my computer after
>> being
>> resumed from screensaver. Under "Display/Screensaver" tab, the checkbox
>> is
>> supposed to show "When resume, password required". But my computer is
>> showing, "When resume, show welcome page". Would you please tell me how I
>> can
>> activate a password for the screensaver ? Please help me out. Thank you.
>

> You user account must have a paasword. You cannot assign a different
> password for the screensaver like Win 98 does.
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
March 7, 2005 3:25:02 AM

Ok ! I'll try installing Sp2 and relevant updates. Thanks for your help !

!