uninstallation problems

I have been trying to install the latest version of Nokia PC Suite on my
windows XP laptop for my new phone. when installing the installation program
says that a previous version of the software is installed and must be
uninstalled before the installation can continue. The installation program
then goes on to say that it will do this automatically much like most
programs. The installation continues until an error message appears saying
"Error 1401. Could not create key UNKNOWN\.3gp\Nokia.Multimedia\shellnew.
Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support
personnel." and three option buttons 'abort', 'retry' and 'ignore'; if i
click abort the installation is rolled back and nothing is installed, if i
click retry the same message appears again and again and if i click ignore
the installation continues as normal (or so it would seem). once the
installation is complete a message appears stating "No Nokia PC Suite
applications were found. please reinstall Nokia PC Suite" even though all the
applications that should have been installed in fact are there and mostly
operational. once i open the main PC Suite launcher window and click the
connection manager icon to connect the software to my phone another message
appears saying "Connection to Nokia PC Suite failed. Please reinstall Nokia
PC Suite. (Code: Init IMediaControl2)". If i try and reinstall the software
all the above happens again. I have attempted to get around this problem by
downloading the seperate applications that i want and trying to install them.
When trying to unistall the Nokia PC Suite software the process completes and
has nothing to say there were any problems, however not all the software
uninstalls and several applications remain. Therefore i cannot install any of
the singular applications i downloaded because the software will not let me
due to another version being installed. I believe that if i could make it
possible to uninstall the original software completely I could then solve the
problem myself, therefore i would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell
me whether or not i can uninstall software without using windows installer
(and how) or any other solutions you may have. Please help. Thank you.

I also did use system restore and took system back prior to installation -you
could try that ! But unfortunatley, in amongst things ! and general messin
cant go back now !!