Eightfold Maze oracle text

Eightfold Maze
{2}{W}
Sorcery
Play Eightfold Maze only during the declare attackers step and only if
you are the defending player.
Destroy target attacking creature.

Uh... what's wrong with this picture?

"Jeff Heikkinen" <oh@s.if> wrote in message
> Eightfold Maze
> {2}{W}
> Sorcery
> Play Eightfold Maze only during the declare attackers step and only if
> you are the defending player.
> Destroy target attacking creature.
>

> Uh... what's wrong with this picture?

Is that from one of the Portals or something? AFAIK, there's no instants in
Portal (the original Portal, anyway). It's weird to see that, though.

--

KB

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 20:03:45 GMT, Jeff Heikkinen <oh@s.if> wrote:

>Eightfold Maze
>{2}{W}
>Sorcery
>Play Eightfold Maze only during the declare attackers step and only if
>you are the defending player.
>Destroy target attacking creature.

>Uh... what's wrong with this picture?

That it's from Portal: Three Kingdoms.

Portal dosn't have instants, it does however have sorceries that can
be cast at non-standart times - like Eightfold Maze that can be played
on your opponents turn, after he has declared attackers but before
you've chosen blockers.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

Simon Nejmann, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
> On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 20:03:45 GMT, Jeff Heikkinen <oh@s.if> wrote:
>
> >Eightfold Maze
> >{2}{W}
> >Sorcery
> >Play Eightfold Maze only during the declare attackers step and only if
> >you are the defending player.
> >Destroy target attacking creature.
>
> >Uh... what's wrong with this picture?
>
> That it's from Portal: Three Kingdoms.
>
> Portal dosn't have instants, it does however have sorceries that can
> be cast at non-standart times - like Eightfold Maze that can be played
> on your opponents turn, after he has declared attackers but before
> you've chosen blockers.

I am well aware of the Portal rules, but the above is, as the Subject
line indicated, 8FM's **ORACLE** text. All the other Portal Sorceries
(so far as I've checked) were corrected to Instants when they were added
to Oracle, my point is that this one should have been as well.

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 20:59:17 GMT, Jeff Heikkinen <oh@s.if> wrote:

>> >Eightfold Maze
>> >{2}{W}
>> >Sorcery
>> >Play Eightfold Maze only during the declare attackers step and only if
>> >you are the defending player.
>> >Destroy target attacking creature.

>I am well aware of the Portal rules, but the above is, as the Subject
>line indicated, 8FM's **ORACLE** text. All the other Portal Sorceries
>(so far as I've checked) were corrected to Instants when they were added
>to Oracle, my point is that this one should have been as well.

Hmm, looks like you are right - plenty of instants in the oracle
version of the Portals. Sorry about assuming that you didn't know the
rules, but it seemed like the simplest explanation... :|

Guess my only other guess must be that somebody forgot...?

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

Simon Nejmann wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 20:03:45 GMT, Jeff Heikkinen <oh@s.if> wrote:
>
>>Eightfold Maze
>>{2}{W}
>>Sorcery
>>Play Eightfold Maze only during the declare attackers step and only if
>>you are the defending player.
>>Destroy target attacking creature.
>
>>Uh... what's wrong with this picture?
>
> That it's from Portal: Three Kingdoms.
>
> Portal dosn't have instants, it does however have sorceries that can
> be cast at non-standart times - like Eightfold Maze that can be played
> on your opponents turn, after he has declared attackers but before
> you've chosen blockers.

Correct. But this is *Oracle* text. All the Portal cards have
been brought into Oracle and should have been revised therein to
conform to proper templating for *real* Magic. But this one
hasn't. And that's what's wrong with this picture.
--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

Jeff Heikkinen <oh@s.if> wrote:
>Eightfold Maze 2W Sorcery
>Play Eightfold Maze only during the declare attackers step and only if
>you are the defending player.
>Destroy target attacking creature.

>Uh... what's wrong with this picture?

Nothing, really; Eightfold Maze was a rare in Portal Three Kingdoms, which
did not HAVE instants. Or artifacts or enchantments either.

And since attackers are declared as declare-attackers step starts, once
we get to 'during declare-attackers step' there will generally be legal targets
for it. Especially since there _has to_ be at least one attacker declared,
for there to be a defending player in the first place.

Dave

David DeLaney, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
> Jeff Heikkinen <oh@s.if> wrote:
> >Eightfold Maze 2W Sorcery
> >Play Eightfold Maze only during the declare attackers step and only if
> >you are the defending player.
> >Destroy target attacking creature.
>
> >Uh... what's wrong with this picture?
>
> Nothing, really; Eightfold Maze was a rare in Portal Three Kingdoms, which
> did not HAVE instants. Or artifacts or enchantments either.
>
> And since attackers are declared as declare-attackers step starts, once
> we get to 'during declare-attackers step' there will generally be legal targets
> for it. Especially since there _has to_ be at least one attacker declared,
> for there to be a defending player in the first place.

As I (and Chris) mentioned to others already though, that's its ORACLE
text, as the subject line says. All the other Portal Sorceries like
that which I've checked have been fixed to be Instants.

Jeff Heikkinen <oh@s.if> wrote:
>David DeLaney, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
>> Nothing, really; Eightfold Maze was a rare in Portal Three Kingdoms, which
>> did not HAVE instants. Or artifacts or enchantments either.
>
>As I (and Chris) mentioned to others already though, that's its ORACLE
>text, as the subject line says. All the other Portal Sorceries like
>that which I've checked have been fixed to be Instants.

I do see now. I'll ask. I hadn't gone and looked at all other Portal cards
in Oracle, just that one.

Dave

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, David DeLaney wrote:

> Jeff Heikkinen <oh@s.if> wrote:
> >David DeLaney, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
> >> Nothing, really; Eightfold Maze was a rare in Portal Three Kingdoms, which
> >> did not HAVE instants. Or artifacts or enchantments either.
> >
> >As I (and Chris) mentioned to others already though, that's its ORACLE
> >text, as the subject line says. All the other Portal Sorceries like
> >that which I've checked have been fixed to be Instants.
>
> I do see now. I'll ask. I hadn't gone and looked at all other Portal cards
> in Oracle, just that one.
>
> Dave

Btw, they also made a mistake with the mana cost of Blinkmoth Infusion
and Mycosynth Golem. I emailed wizards some time ago but I didn't get
any response.

David

Blinkmoth Infusion
{1}2{U}{U}
Instant
Affinity for artifacts (This spell costs {1} less to play for each
artifact you control.)
Untap all artifacts.

Mycosynth Golem
{1}1
Artifact Creature -- Golem
4/5
Affinity for artifacts (This spell costs {1} less to play for each
artifact you control.)
Artifact creature spells you play have affinity for artifacts. (They
cost {1} less to play for each artifact you control.)