Problem Installing XP PRO

geezer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2002
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have a friend who is having great difficulty installing a new XP PRO
disk he bought.

He is trying to install XP on a brand new 80G hard drive in a
machine he just built with a new Gigabyte MOBO.

He says it repeatedly (he tried install more than once) stops when it
is trying to load the following files:

dvdplay.exe
oembios.bin
tourW.exe
usrcoina.dll
usrdpa.dll
usrdtea.dll
usr?a.dll
usrlbva.dll
usrmlnka.exe
usrprbda.exe
usrrtosa.dll
usrdpia.dll
usrshuta.exe
usrsvpia.dll
usrv42a.dll
usrv80a.dll
usrvoica.dll
usrvpa.dll
ndis.sys
mrxsmb.sys
p3.sys
ks.sys
modem.sys
parport.sys
swenum.sys

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be?
Thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have built a great many computers over the years (in the hundreds). The
few times I have seen something like this, going all the way back to Windows
95 - it has mostly been rectified by changing out what appeared to be
substandard RAM! An occasional new CD, or cleaning of the drive and CD, has
rectified the problem in a few instances also.

This problem seems to manifest itself more (to my way of thinking) when
upgrading a new system. The RAM, which worked just fine with the older M/B
just can't cut it in the new M/B.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
>I have a friend who is having great difficulty installing a new XP PRO
> disk he bought.
>
> He is trying to install XP on a brand new 80G hard drive in a
> machine he just built with a new Gigabyte MOBO.
>
> He says it repeatedly (he tried install more than once) stops when it
> is trying to load the following files:
>
> dvdplay.exe
> oembios.bin
> tourW.exe
> usrcoina.dll
> usrdpa.dll
> usrdtea.dll
> usr?a.dll
> usrlbva.dll
> usrmlnka.exe
> usrprbda.exe
> usrrtosa.dll
> usrdpia.dll
> usrshuta.exe
> usrsvpia.dll
> usrv42a.dll
> usrv80a.dll
> usrvoica.dll
> usrvpa.dll
> ndis.sys
> mrxsmb.sys
> p3.sys
> ks.sys
> modem.sys
> parport.sys
> swenum.sys
>
> Can anyone suggest what the problem might be?
> Thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

In addition to Richard's suggestion (which is a very good possibility), try
letting WinXP's setup do the partitioning and formatting. Drives that are
set up with a manufacturer's utility often have trouble with XP's setup
routine.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Richard Urban wrote:
> I have built a great many computers over the years (in the hundreds). The
> few times I have seen something like this, going all the way back to Windows
> 95 - it has mostly been rectified by changing out what appeared to be
> substandard RAM! An occasional new CD, or cleaning of the drive and CD, has
> rectified the problem in a few instances also.
>
> This problem seems to manifest itself more (to my way of thinking) when
> upgrading a new system. The RAM, which worked just fine with the older M/B
> just can't cut it in the new M/B.

I agree wholeheartedly. A bad memory module is what was causing me the
same problem not long ago. And the bootup memory check did not find it
- the only symptom was difficulty installing from CD's, both
applications and Windows.

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Not suggesting anything but have seen this with bad copies, also dirty or
scratched discs.

--

Kenny Cargill

> Hi,
>
> In addition to Richard's suggestion (which is a very good possibility),
> try letting WinXP's setup do the partitioning and formatting. Drives that
> are set up with a manufacturer's utility often have trouble with XP's
> setup routine.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
>>I have a friend who is having great difficulty installing a new XP PRO
>> disk he bought.
>>
>> He is trying to install XP on a brand new 80G hard drive in a
>> machine he just built with a new Gigabyte MOBO.
>>
>> He says it repeatedly (he tried install more than once) stops when it
>> is trying to load the following files:
>>
>> dvdplay.exe
>> oembios.bin
>> tourW.exe
>> usrcoina.dll
>> usrdpa.dll
>> usrdtea.dll
>> usr?a.dll
>> usrlbva.dll
>> usrmlnka.exe
>> usrprbda.exe
>> usrrtosa.dll
>> usrdpia.dll
>> usrshuta.exe
>> usrsvpia.dll
>> usrv42a.dll
>> usrv80a.dll
>> usrvoica.dll
>> usrvpa.dll
>> ndis.sys
>> mrxsmb.sys
>> p3.sys
>> ks.sys
>> modem.sys
>> parport.sys
>> swenum.sys
>>
>> Can anyone suggest what the problem might be?
>> Thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Why not suggest it? It certainly is a possibility.

--

"Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Not suggesting anything but have seen this with bad copies, also dirty or
> scratched discs.
>
> --
>
> Kenny Cargill

>> Hi,
>>
>> In addition to Richard's suggestion (which is a very good possibility),
>> try letting WinXP's setup do the partitioning and formatting. Drives that
>> are set up with a manufacturer's utility often have trouble with XP's
>> setup routine.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a friend who is having great difficulty installing a new XP PRO
>>> disk he bought.
>>>
>>> He is trying to install XP on a brand new 80G hard drive in a
>>> machine he just built with a new Gigabyte MOBO.
>>>
>>> He says it repeatedly (he tried install more than once) stops when it
>>> is trying to load the following files:
>>>
>>> dvdplay.exe
>>> oembios.bin
>>> tourW.exe
>>> usrcoina.dll
>>> usrdpa.dll
>>> usrdtea.dll
>>> usr?a.dll
>>> usrlbva.dll
>>> usrmlnka.exe
>>> usrprbda.exe
>>> usrrtosa.dll
>>> usrdpia.dll
>>> usrshuta.exe
>>> usrsvpia.dll
>>> usrv42a.dll
>>> usrv80a.dll
>>> usrvoica.dll
>>> usrvpa.dll
>>> ndis.sys
>>> mrxsmb.sys
>>> p3.sys
>>> ks.sys
>>> modem.sys
>>> parport.sys

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 13:15:44 -0000, "Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>Not suggesting anything but have seen this with bad copies, also dirty or
>scratched discs.

Always a possibility

Thanks

geezer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2002
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 07:41:33 -0500, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
<rick@mvps.org> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>In addition to Richard's suggestion (which is a very good possibility), try
>letting WinXP's setup do the partitioning and formatting. Drives that are
>set up with a manufacturer's utility often have trouble with XP's setup
>routine.

Thanks

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

This will happen with not having SmartDrive as a part of the picture. Thus,
in many cases not allowing the friendly GUI install. The long way to fix
this is to install say Win98 then upgrade to XP. The short way is to add
SD.

--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
>I have a friend who is having great difficulty installing a new XP PRO
> disk he bought.
>
> He is trying to install XP on a brand new 80G hard drive in a
> machine he just built with a new Gigabyte MOBO.
>
> He says it repeatedly (he tried install more than once) stops when it
> is trying to load the following files:
>
> dvdplay.exe
> oembios.bin
> tourW.exe
> usrcoina.dll
> usrdpa.dll
> usrdtea.dll
> usr?a.dll
> usrlbva.dll
> usrmlnka.exe
> usrprbda.exe
> usrrtosa.dll
> usrdpia.dll
> usrshuta.exe
> usrsvpia.dll
> usrv42a.dll
> usrv80a.dll
> usrvoica.dll
> usrvpa.dll
> ndis.sys
> mrxsmb.sys
> p3.sys
> ks.sys
> modem.sys
> parport.sys
> swenum.sys
>
> Can anyone suggest what the problem might be?
> Thanks

TRENDING THREADS