Tournament questions

Hi

Sorry if this is a really stupid question but I am kind of new to the
tournament scene and was wondering what a Team Sealed (mirrodin block
constructed). I was wondering if I have to bring my own deck to this
or whether I am supplied with cards- because I thought constructed
meant you brought along your own deck?
thanks for any help

Richard

Richard Burrows, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
> Hi
>
> Sorry if this is a really stupid question but I am kind of new to the
> tournament scene and was wondering what a Team Sealed (mirrodin block
> constructed). I was wondering if I have to bring my own deck to this
> or whether I am supplied with cards- because I thought constructed
> meant you brought along your own deck?
> thanks for any help
>
> Richard

Which is it - team sealed or Mirrodin block constructed? Those are two
completely different things.

Team sealed would mean that your team is provided with some tournament
packs and boosters, most likely of the latest Expert-level block
(Mirrodin block at the moment), and given X amount of time to build a
deck for each player out of that product. Minimum deck size would be 40
cards with no minimum or maximum sideboard size and you would be allowed
to play with however many copies of any given card your team happened to
recieve. You may or may not be able to get, or trade for, additional
basic lands from the organizers.

Mirrodin Block Constructed would mean everyone has to bring their own
deck, made up of cards from Mirrodin, Darksteel and Fifth Dawn (cards
from earlier sets that had the same names as cards in those sets would
also be legal, so you could have swamps from Odyssey and Icy
Manipulators from Beta and Cathodions from Urza's Saga and so on). You
would be limited to four copies of any given card except for basic lands
(no limit) and Skullclamp (currently banned in that format), and overall
deck size would have to be at least 60 cards with a sideboard
(technically optional, but not something you want to do without) of
exactly 15 cards.

As you can see, these are two very different formats; the tournament
can't be both (though there could conceivably be two seperate ones going
on, for example at a con). I recommend getting clarification on which of
them it is.

Richard Burrows wrote:

> Hi
>
> Sorry if this is a really stupid question but I am kind of new to the
> tournament scene and was wondering what a Team Sealed (mirrodin block
> constructed). I was wondering if I have to bring my own deck to this
> or whether I am supplied with cards- because I thought constructed
> meant you brought along your own deck?
> thanks for any help

"Sealed constructed" makes no sense to me, since, as you note, one
means you use sealed product provided at the tournament and the
other means you bring a deck constructed from your own collection.
You'll have to ask the tournament sponsors what they mean
by this (I suspect that they wanted to say it was Mirrodin block
sealed and added "constructed" by mistake, but I don't know for
sure).

--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"