Ghost restore does not work

March 6, 2005 6:16:05 AM

Hey All,

Every time I use ghost to restore a Windows XP partition image, it won't let
me log in. I've never experienced this problem, and would really love to
get my laptop running again. My machine has been to HP 3 times in the past
3 months, and I'm really tired of having to reinstall everything. I'm using
Ghost 9.0, Windows XP Pro MSDN license (I'm a developer at a company in
Bellevue) and I use this machine for everything from gaming, finances,
working on my projects at work, programming, school, whatever, so it has a
ton of apps.

The ghost file is a partition image (I have two partitions on the drive).
I've marked it as startable using FDISK, and restored the image to the
primary partition. Windows boots, I can get the login box to come up, but
when I log in, it immediately logs me off.

Thanks,
Matthew

More about : ghost restore work

Anonymous
March 6, 2005 1:46:55 PM

"support.microsoft.com" <ms@dachew.biz> wrote in message
news:o Sh1l2jIFHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hey All,
>
> Every time I use ghost to restore a Windows XP partition image, it won't
> let me log in. I've never experienced this problem, and would really love
> to get my laptop running again. My machine has been to HP 3 times in the
> past 3 months, and I'm really tired of having to reinstall everything.
> I'm using Ghost 9.0, Windows XP Pro MSDN license (I'm a developer at a
> company in Bellevue) and I use this machine for everything from gaming,
> finances, working on my projects at work, programming, school, whatever,
> so it has a ton of apps.
>
> The ghost file is a partition image (I have two partitions on the drive).
> I've marked it as startable using FDISK, and restored the image to the
> primary partition. Windows boots, I can get the login box to come up, but
> when I log in, it immediately logs me off.
>
> Thanks,
> Matthew

Every backup program I ever saw had a problem backing up files that were in
use by windows.......making the backup completely useless! Those programers
are pretty stupid sometimes.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 3:27:31 PM

Many tens of thousands of people use "Ghost", "Drive Image" and even "Backup
MyPC" without any problem what-so-ever.

Maybe YOU are the cause of the problem!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"Rodney Kelp" <Rodneykelp605@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "support.microsoft.com" <ms@dachew.biz> wrote in message
> news:o Sh1l2jIFHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Hey All,
>>
>> Every time I use ghost to restore a Windows XP partition image, it won't
>> let me log in. I've never experienced this problem, and would really
>> love to get my laptop running again. My machine has been to HP 3 times
>> in the past 3 months, and I'm really tired of having to reinstall
>> everything. I'm using Ghost 9.0, Windows XP Pro MSDN license (I'm a
>> developer at a company in Bellevue) and I use this machine for everything
>> from gaming, finances, working on my projects at work, programming,
>> school, whatever, so it has a ton of apps.
>>
>> The ghost file is a partition image (I have two partitions on the drive).
>> I've marked it as startable using FDISK, and restored the image to the
>> primary partition. Windows boots, I can get the login box to come up,
>> but when I log in, it immediately logs me off.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Matthew
>>

> Every backup program I ever saw had a problem backing up files that were
> in use by windows.......making the backup completely useless! Those
> programers are pretty stupid sometimes.

March 7, 2005 2:10:03 AM

So, that's it? Nobody has any useful input?

Oh yeah, why would I WASTE my time imaging a partition that was bad in the
first place??? The data is good, XP just won't let me log into my profile
after I restore an image.

Also, this isn't the first time - I've installed XP 3 times (due to HP
having to "restore their customer install"). Each time I sent it into HP
(loose screw, bad CD rom), I made a ghost image. And each time the exact
same problem. Login, get logged out. The HDD does not have any bad
sectors, the data is good, everything with the OS was working FINE before I
sent the machine back. It just plain doesn't like the restore, and I was
hoping an MS engineer could point me in the right direction, as I'm not
looking for useless commentary from other users.

> Many tens of thousands of people use "Ghost", "Drive Image" and even
> "Backup MyPC" without any problem what-so-ever.
>
> Maybe YOU are the cause of the problem!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

> "Rodney Kelp" <Rodneykelp605@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "support.microsoft.com" <ms@dachew.biz> wrote in message
>> news:o Sh1l2jIFHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>> Hey All,
>>>
>>> Every time I use ghost to restore a Windows XP partition image, it won't
>>> let me log in. I've never experienced this problem, and would really
>>> love to get my laptop running again. My machine has been to HP 3 times
>>> in the past 3 months, and I'm really tired of having to reinstall
>>> everything. I'm using Ghost 9.0, Windows XP Pro MSDN license (I'm a
>>> developer at a company in Bellevue) and I use this machine for
>>> everything from gaming, finances, working on my projects at work,
>>> programming, school, whatever, so it has a ton of apps.
>>>
>>> The ghost file is a partition image (I have two partitions on the
>>> drive). I've marked it as startable using FDISK, and restored the image
>>> to the primary partition. Windows boots, I can get the login box to
>>> come up, but when I log in, it immediately logs me off.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Matthew
>>>

>> Every backup program I ever saw had a problem backing up files that were
>> in use by windows.......making the backup completely useless! Those
>> programers are pretty stupid sometimes.

Anonymous
March 7, 2005 9:02:37 AM

No, you're missing the point. Ghost DOES like to restore. That's what it was
designed to do - and it does it well.

I have been using either Drive Image or Ghost for about a dozen years. I
have never had any problems in restoring an image, which I do often. I am
always trying new programs, after which I will revert to the way the system
was before the trial. I may do this once a week.

Ghost IS reliable!

That being the case - where does the problem lie? I have no doubt that I
could create an image of your computer and then restore said image. The
image WILL be bootable and usable!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

> So, that's it? Nobody has any useful input?
>
> Oh yeah, why would I WASTE my time imaging a partition that was bad in the
> first place??? The data is good, XP just won't let me log into my profile
> after I restore an image.
>
> Also, this isn't the first time - I've installed XP 3 times (due to HP
> having to "restore their customer install"). Each time I sent it into HP
> (loose screw, bad CD rom), I made a ghost image. And each time the exact
> same problem. Login, get logged out. The HDD does not have any bad
> sectors, the data is good, everything with the OS was working FINE before
> I sent the machine back. It just plain doesn't like the restore, and I
> was hoping an MS engineer could point me in the right direction, as I'm
> not looking for useless commentary from other users.

>> Many tens of thousands of people use "Ghost", "Drive Image" and even
>> "Backup MyPC" without any problem what-so-ever.
>>
>> Maybe YOU are the cause of the problem!
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

>> "Rodney Kelp" <Rodneykelp605@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "support.microsoft.com" <ms@dachew.biz> wrote in message
>>> news:o Sh1l2jIFHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

>>> Every backup program I ever saw had a problem backing up files that were
>>> in use by windows.......making the backup completely useless! Those
>>> programers are pretty stupid sometimes.

March 7, 2005 2:09:24 PM

Maybe its something HP is doing. Have you tried to restore your working
computer while it is working as a test?

!