Magnetic theft question

Good morning!

Just a quick question concerning Magnetic Theft:

Magnetic Theft
Instant
Attach target Equipment to target creature. (Control of the Equipment
doesn't change.)

The stuff inside the parenthesis is what's bugging me. Obviously, the
wording is there so that the owner of the equipment can move it back
to their creature. But how does this interact with stuff that has a
triggered or power/toughness setting ability? For example...

Example 1: My opponent has Cranial Plating attached to a creature.
Besides the Plating, he has 10 artifacts out. I have 3 artifacts in
play, and play Magnetic theft, moving the plating to my creature.
(Let's just say it's a 1/1 token.) Is my token an 11/1 or a 4/1?

Cranial Plating
2
Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature gets +1/+0 for each artifact you control. :
Attach Cranial Plating to target creature you control. Equip [1]

Example 2: Same as above, except this time, the equipment is a Sword
of Fire and Ice. If my creature deals damage to my opponent, who
controls the triggered effects (the 2 points of damage and the card
drawing?)

Sword of Fire and Ice
3
Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature gets +2/+2 and has protection from red and from
blue. Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player,
Sword of Fire and Ice deals 2 damage to target creature or player and
you draw a card. Equip 2

Thanks!

Scott

On 9 Aug 2004 06:36:52 -0700, Scott Vajdos <sfvajdos@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Magnetic Theft >R >Instant
>Attach target Equipment to target creature. (Control of the Equipment
>doesn't change.)
>
>The stuff inside the parenthesis is what's bugging me.

That's "reminder text"; nothing on Magnetic Theft SAYS to change the controller
of the Equipment, but new players tend to think, somehow, that an Equipment's
or enchantment's controller changes to be the player who controls what it's
attached to. (This isn't so.)

> Obviously, the
>wording is there so that the owner of the equipment can move it back
>to their creature. But how does this interact with stuff that has a
>triggered or power/toughness setting ability?

?? The controller of the Equipment _does not change_. That means nobody new
controls it, it's still controlled by whoever controlled it before, regardless
of who controls target creature. The Equipment will have its normal effect
on the creature it's now attached to; the Equipment's controller will be able
to use any abilities the _Equipment_ has (including the Equip ability itself),
while the creature's controller will be able to use any abilities the Equipment
gives _to the creature_ (as Heartseeker does).

>Example 1: My opponent has Cranial Plating attached to a creature.
>Besides the Plating, he has 10 artifacts out. I have 3 artifacts in
>play, and play Magnetic theft, moving the plating to my creature.
>(Let's just say it's a 1/1 token.) Is my token an 11/1 or a 4/1?

Did you gain _control_ of the Plating? No, you did not. You just attached
it to a different creature. It's still controlled by your opponent, so he
is still its "you", and it still counts his artifacts, not yours. Your
creature is an 11/1.

>Example 2: Same as above, except this time, the equipment is a Sword
>of Fire and Ice. If my creature deals damage to my opponent, who
>controls the triggered effects (the 2 points of damage and the card
>drawing?)

Did you gain _control_ of the Sword? No, you did not. You just attached it
to a different creature. It's still controlled by your opponent, so he is
still its "you", and he will pick the target creature or player for its
triggered ability and will draw the card from that ability.

Now look at Healer's Headdress. That gives an ability to the creature it's
attached to; you -would- be the player who could play the damage-prevention
ability, assuming the creature wasn't "sick", and would choose the target
creature or player for it. Opponent is still the player who could play the
Equipment's "WW: Attach ~ to target creature you control" ability, though.

Dave

Scott Vajdos <sfvajdos@hotmail.com> sent:
> Good morning!

Good afternoon.

> Just a quick question concerning Magnetic Theft:

Magnetic Theft {R} Instant
/ Attach target Equipment to target creature.

> The stuff inside the parenthesis is what's bugging me.

(Control of the Equipment doesn't change.)

> Obviously, the
> wording is there so that the owner of the equipment can move it back
> to their creature.

It's just a reminder, to reinforce the fact that it doesn't change whose
equipment it is, just where it happens to be attached. So if you attach
your opponent's equipment to your creature, it's still their equipment.

> But how does this interact with stuff that has a
> triggered or power/toughness setting ability? For example...

If the equipment says 'you' on it, it refers to its controller. If it
says 'equipped creature' it refers to the creature it's attached to.
If the equipment gives some ability to the creature, then it's the
creature's controller that will matter.

> Example 1: My opponent has Cranial Plating attached to a creature.
> Besides the Plating, he has 10 artifacts out. I have 3 artifacts in
> play, and play Magnetic theft, moving the plating to my creature.
> (Let's just say it's a 1/1 token.) Is my token an 11/1 or a 4/1?

Cranial Plating {2} Artifact -- Equipment
/ Equipped creature gets +1/+0 for each artifact you control.
/ {B}{B}: Attach Cranial Plating to target creature you control.
/ Equip {1}

It's a 12/1. The Plating asks its controller how many artifacts that
player controls - that's the Cranial Plating, and the ten other
artifacts, for a total of +11/+0.

> Example 2: Same as above, except this time, the equipment is a Sword
> of Fire and Ice. If my creature deals damage to my opponent, who
> controls the triggered effects (the 2 points of damage and the card
> drawing?)

Sword of Fire and Ice {3} Artifact -- Equipment
/ Equipped creature gets +2/+2 and has protection from red and from
blue.
/ Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, Sword of
Fire and Ice deals 2 damage to target creature or player and you draw
a card.
/ Equip {2}

The opponent will choose the creature or player to deal damage to, and
will also draw the card. It's still their sword, it's just slightly
misplaced. Note that if it said 'whenever equipped creature deals combat
damage to an opponent', it wouldn't trigger. Conversely, if it had this
ability instead:

/ Equipped creature has "whenever this creature deals combat damage to a
player, Sword of Fire and Ice deals 2 damage to target creature or
player and you draw a card."

then it would be you, the creature's controller, choosing the target and
drawing the card.

--
-- zoe - who didn't enjoy being ill in bed for three weeks

Zoe Stephenson <zrs1@uk.ac.york.reversed> wrote:
>Scott Vajdos <sfvajdos@hotmail.com> sent:
>> Besides the Plating, he has 10 artifacts out. I have 3 artifacts in
>> play, and play Magnetic theft, moving the plating to my creature.
>> (Let's just say it's a 1/1 token.) Is my token an 11/1 or a 4/1?
>It's a 12/1. The Plating asks its controller how many artifacts that
>player controls - that's the Cranial Plating, and the ten other
>artifacts, for a total of +11/+0.

Oh, good catch - yes, it counts the Plating itself, of course.

Dave

"Scott Vajdos" <sfvajdos@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Good morning!
>
> Just a quick question concerning Magnetic Theft:
>
> Magnetic Theft
> Instant
> Attach target Equipment to target creature. (Control of the Equipment
> doesn't change.)
>
> The stuff inside the parenthesis is what's bugging me. Obviously, the
> wording is there so that the owner of the equipment can move it back
> to their creature. But how does this interact with stuff that has a
> triggered or power/toughness setting ability? For example...
>

> Example 1: My opponent has Cranial Plating attached to a creature.
> Besides the Plating, he has 10 artifacts out. I have 3 artifacts in
> play, and play Magnetic theft, moving the plating to my creature.
> (Let's just say it's a 1/1 token.) Is my token an 11/1 or a 4/1?
>
> Cranial Plating
> 2
> Artifact - Equipment
> Equipped creature gets +1/+0 for each artifact you control. :
> Attach Cranial Plating to target creature you control. Equip [1]

Since the controller of the equipment doesn't change, it still counts the
same number of artifacts (the 'you' in the rules text of Cranial Plating
doesn't change) In this case, your Myr becomes a 11/1.

> Example 2: Same as above, except this time, the equipment is a Sword
> of Fire and Ice. If my creature deals damage to my opponent, who
> controls the triggered effects (the 2 points of damage and the card
> drawing?)
>
> Sword of Fire and Ice
> 3
> Artifact - Equipment
> Equipped creature gets +2/+2 and has protection from red and from
> blue. Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player,
> Sword of Fire and Ice deals 2 damage to target creature or player and
> you draw a card. Equip 2

Note that although the SoFaI gives protection from Red, that protection
doesn't extend to the equipment, so you can still steal it. The ability on
the SoFaI is controlled by the controller of the SoFaI, so he gets to make
all decisions about it. He also decides to draw a card. It's probably better
not to attack with the creature, since he gets a free shock and a free card.

Jasper Overman

Scott Vajdos wrote:

> Good morning!
>
> Just a quick question concerning Magnetic Theft:
>
> Magnetic Theft
> Instant
> Attach target Equipment to target creature. (Control of the Equipment
> doesn't change.)
>
> The stuff inside the parenthesis is what's bugging me. Obviously, the
> wording is there so that the owner of the equipment can move it back
> to their creature. But how does this interact with stuff that has a
> triggered or power/toughness setting ability? For example...
>

> Example 1: My opponent has Cranial Plating attached to a creature.
> Besides the Plating, he has 10 artifacts out. I have 3 artifacts in
> play, and play Magnetic theft, moving the plating to my creature.
> (Let's just say it's a 1/1 token.) Is my token an 11/1 or a 4/1?

An 11/1. "You" on a card *always* refers to the controller of that
card.

> Cranial Plating
> 2
> Artifact - Equipment
> Equipped creature gets +1/+0 for each artifact you control. :
> Attach Cranial Plating to target creature you control. Equip [1]
>

> Example 2: Same as above, except this time, the equipment is a Sword
> of Fire and Ice. If my creature deals damage to my opponent, who
> controls the triggered effects (the 2 points of damage and the card
> drawing?)

The opponent controls the triggered effect and he gets the card.
It's still his artifact.

Note that there's a different template that *does* give you
control of the ability: "Equipped creature gains 'Whenever
this creature deals combat damage to a player, it deals
2 damage to target creature or player and you draw a card.'"
When it's worded this way, the ability is actually on the
creature, and the creature's controller controls it.

--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

Scott Vajdos, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
> Good morning!
>
> Just a quick question concerning Magnetic Theft:
>
> Magnetic Theft
> Instant
> Attach target Equipment to target creature. (Control of the Equipment
> doesn't change.)
>
> The stuff inside the parenthesis is what's bugging me. Obviously, the
> wording is there so that the owner of the equipment can move it back
> to their creature. But how does this interact with stuff that has a
> triggered or power/toughness setting ability?

By doing precisely what it says. The deceptively simple answer to 90%
of all Magic questions...

> For example...
>

> Example 1: My opponent has Cranial Plating attached to a creature.
> Besides the Plating, he has 10 artifacts out. I have 3 artifacts in
> play, and play Magnetic theft, moving the plating to my creature.
> (Let's just say it's a 1/1 token.) Is my token an 11/1 or a 4/1?

11/1. "You" is the Equipment's controller. It doesn't matter whose
creature it's currently on, though the two will normally be the same.

> Cranial Plating
> 2
> Artifact - Equipment
> Equipped creature gets +1/+0 for each artifact you control. :
> Attach Cranial Plating to target creature you control. Equip [1]
>

> Example 2: Same as above, except this time, the equipment is a Sword
> of Fire and Ice. If my creature deals damage to my opponent, who
> controls the triggered effects (the 2 points of damage and the card
> drawing?)

Your opponent controls these, for the same reason.

--
Let's not let this drift into a topic about playing your alignment. I
have too much to do to be able to properly ridicule and post whore.

So by with magnetic theft, if you were playing Skullclamp against a weenie
deck and you've got enough mana, could you effectively wipe out their side
of the board and draw you a whole bunch of cards?

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:03:22 GMT, Mike Rana <mjr2k@verizon.net> wrote:
>So by with magnetic theft, if you were playing Skullclamp against a weenie
>deck and you've got enough mana, could you effectively wipe out their side
>of the board and draw you a whole bunch of cards?

Er, with enough mana _and enough Magnetic Thefts_; MT is an Instant, and
goes to the graveyard once it's done resolving. (Or with a way to get it
back from your graveyard each time you use it.)

With one Magnetic Theft, you can attach the Skullclamp to one (1) of their
weenies. (And yes, you still draw the cards; it's still your Skullclamp.)

Dave

oh so you'd have to use one MT for everytime you want to use SC on their
creatures? I figured since it was already on their side, you could just keep
equipping w/o MT.
"David DeLaney" <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote in message
> >> Magnetic Theft {R} Instant
> >> / Attach target Equipment to target creature.
>
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:03:22 GMT, Mike Rana <mjr2k@verizon.net> wrote:
> >So by with magnetic theft, if you were playing Skullclamp against a
weenie
> >deck and you've got enough mana, could you effectively wipe out their
side
> >of the board and draw you a whole bunch of cards?
>
> Er, with enough mana _and enough Magnetic Thefts_; MT is an Instant, and
> goes to the graveyard once it's done resolving. (Or with a way to get it
> back from your graveyard each time you use it.)
>
> With one Magnetic Theft, you can attach the Skullclamp to one (1) of their
> weenies. (And yes, you still draw the cards; it's still your Skullclamp.)
>
> Dave
> --
> \/David DeLaney posting from dbd@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the
flower
> It's not the clock that slows the hour The definition's plain for anyone
to see
> Love is all it takes to make a family" - R&P. VISUALIZE HAPPYNET
VRbeable<BLINK>
> http://www.vic.com/~dbd/ - net.legends FAQ & Magic / I WUV you in all
CAPS! --K.

"Mike Rana" <mjr2k@verizon.net> wrote in message
> oh so you'd have to use one MT for everytime you want to use SC on their
> creatures? I figured since it was already on their side, you could just
keep
> equipping w/o MT.

I think this is a common misconception with equipment. The Skullclamp (or
whatever) doesn't go to "their side". Sure, you might slip the Skullclamp
under, on top of, or next to their creature, and this is where people lose
track. The fact that you physically put the Skullclamp on their half of the
table has nothing to do with the game - it's just logisitcally "simpler" and
more aesthetically pleasing. The game isn't telling you to put the card
Skullclamp under your opponents creature card. It's just telling you to
"associate" the Skullclamp and their creature. Control of the Skullclamp
doesn't change. And it doesn't matter what half of the table the card is
actually on, you can still only pay the Skullclamp's equip cost to move it
to a creature you control. You'd need as many Magnetic Theft's as they have
creatures to wipe out their army of x/1's.

Hope that cleared things up.

--

KB

Mike Rana <mjr2k@verizon.net> wrote:
>oh so you'd have to use one MT for everytime you want to use SC on their
>creatures? I figured since it was already on their side, you could just keep
>equipping w/o MT.

"On their side"? As the original post specifically noted, and the card itself
notes, MT does NOT change who controls the Skullclamp, in any way. And Equip
targets a creature _you_ control ... that is to say, the Skullclamp's
controller.

I believe I even reiterated this in my post:

>> With one Magnetic Theft, you can attach the Skullclamp to one (1) of their
>> weenies. (And yes, you still draw the cards; it's still your Skullclamp.)

Dave

thanks for helping me clear that one up