jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Since IQ is a big topic. The only complaint I have about my GF4 4400, beside the fact that AA is useless and I have to deal with jagged edges in some games. I have notice one thing though and it’s going back a little while ago. I have notice while playing MOHAA and maybe one or two other games while inside a building the walls would be messed up. They would look ok, but when I move around the wall would not stay perfect, it’s like in certain spots their will be spot of the wall that would not be lined up. I really don’t know how to explain and maybe there’s a name for it. Hmm flaw

Out side of that everything else is smooth and may only happen in certain spots of the game. For all I know there could be patches for the games, which I should start doing.

My question is does anybody know what I’m talking about? Also has the game patch fix this, or is it something you learn to live with, maybe a little of both.

As for the ATi user what similar effect have you experience. I ask, because I may seem on the Nv side, I still haven’t ruled out an ATi card. Their not exactly giving away the Nv cards I’m looking at and I do have a hard time accepting there AA and the life of the card. I already pisssed away enough money with PC device just to watch the price drop and I’m starting to think maybe I should spend my money a little wiser. Like houses or cars, something that doesn’t lose value.

Ok, I’m nuts going back and fourth, but there must be some reason I haven’t kissed 4-500 bucks away yet.

When I have a problem with ATI's drivers, I assume it's their fault. When I have a problem with nVidia's drivers, I assume it's my fault

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Yap it must be tearing, because when I put vsync to always on I didn’t notice it any more. Actually I recently notice it in the Splinter Cell demo, and that’s where I quickly tested it, because I was having tearing on the walls as soon as I walk out the first door on to the porch. I have a little trouble getting the guy to jump across the porch onto the other porch, but once I do I’ll be in some rooms to test it some more, but so far that look to be the problem. I’ll have to reload MOHAA to see how that goes, but I was planning on playing that game again when I get a new card. Even when I think I might be able to save a few dollars getting an ATi card that’s about all I’ll be saving. <A HREF="http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?refer=pricewatch.com&id=1001148" target="_new"> VisionTek Xtasy 9800 PRO 128MB</A>

No more tearing, thanks a lot. :wink:

When I have a problem with ATI's drivers, I assume it's their fault. When I have a problem with nVidia's drivers, I assume it's my fault

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Cough, cough and comment on the VisionTex. It’s about $360, and sounds really nice, but do I need to spend that much for a good 9800 P card?

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
It is called Tearing I have experienced the same problem. Use a registry hack called Coolbits to enable a tab in Nvidia's display properties (more direct 3d options) to enable v-synch.

As for MOHAA enabling V-synch didn't cure it for me. I had to add a line in the command console (~) of the game. I forget what it was but search some forums and you'll find it.

The aim of military training is not just to prepare men for battle, but to make them long for it. <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=327&s" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Also from time to time textures just dont match up correctly.
Sometimes its a minor driver bug doingsomething wierd... other times its been a slight flaw in level design that has left holes jaggies or tears.

<b>My CPU is so powerful its faster than Melb_Angel's Laptop!</b> :eek: <i>(Plus it's not pink)</i>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
The (more direct 3d options) is already showing, and Coolbits is enabled. I didn’t change the registry, but maybe the GF Tweak Utility that I’m using did. That might explain why sometimes I see where I can overclock threw the nv driver and other times I can’t. Thanks for the tip.

It didn’t help in MOHAA though, huh. Chances are good the next time I play it will be with the Xtasy card, which I believe will order very soon.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Yeah I notice bad graphics in the Splinter Cell demo. There was a bad reflection from the lights and the jaggy edges on the side of the door look terrible. I read a review and the demo didn’t seem to hot for testing either. I’ll have to check for a patch and keep playing it to see if it gets any better. Right now I wouldn’t buy the game with the flaws I saw.

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
Try this for your "tearing" problem
Mohaa:
Use your ~ key to pull down your console in MOHAA.
Then type this exactly as I have it:
Seta r_swapinterval "1"

The aim of military training is not just to prepare men for battle, but to make them long for it. <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=327&s" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I never heard of such thing, hehe. I made note of it though, thanks.