Ertai's Meddling

The following situation occurs:
I cast a creature spell;
My opponent cast a counter spell;
I inturn cast Ertai's Meddling" which delays the counter spell.

Question: Does the counter spell resolve "X" turns later effect the casting of
my creature?

Many thanks in advance

Bill

On 13 Aug 2004 18:40:36 GMT, Billjazzer <billjazzer@aol.com> wrote:
>The following situation occurs:
>I cast a creature spell;
>My opponent cast a counter spell;
>I inturn cast Ertai's Meddling" which delays the counter spell.
>
>Question: Does the counter spell resolve "X" turns later effect the casting of
>my creature?

No (and no). The counterspell reappears X of your opponent's turns later,
during their upkeep (notice that this is _usually_ rather longer than "X
turns later"), but gets countered when it tries to resolve, because its
target is missing. Meanwhile, the creature spell involved resolved a long
time ago (or otherwise left the stack) and is no longer eligible to be
countered.

(Even if the creature spell ALSO got Ertai's Meddlinged, and even if the
same person had cast both of them, the delayed counterspell still would get
countered for missing target, because what comes back onto the stack is
the card, as a _copy_ of the original. It's not 'the same spell' in any
way, it just has all the same information the original had from casting-time.)

Dave

On 13 Aug 2004 18:40:36 GMT, billjazzer@aol.com (Billjazzer) wrote:

>The following situation occurs:
>I cast a creature spell;
>My opponent cast a counter spell;
>I inturn cast Ertai's Meddling" which delays the counter spell.
>
>Question: Does the counter spell resolve "X" turns later effect the casting of
>my creature?

Yes - or rather it tries to, but since it then no longer can find its
target (it left the stack) his spell is countered.

413.2a If the spell or ability specifies targets, it checks whether
the targets are still legal. A target that's removed from play, or
from the zone designated by the spell or ability, is illegal. A target
may also become illegal if its characteristics changed since the spell
or ability was played or if an effect changed the text of the spell.
If all targets are now illegal, the spell or ability is countered. If
the spell or ability is not countered, it will resolve normally,
affecting only the targets that are still legal. If a target is
illegal, the spell or ability can't perform any actions on it or make
the target perform any actions. If the spell or ability needs to know
information about one or more targets that are now illegal, it will
use the illegal targets' current or last known information.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

>The following situation occurs:
>>I cast a creature spell;
>>My opponent cast a counter spell;
>>I inturn cast Ertai's Meddling" which delays the counter spell.
>>
>>Question: Does the counter spell resolve "X" turns later effect the casting
>of
>>my creature?
>
>Yes - or rather it tries to, but since it then no longer can find its
>target (it left the stack) his spell is countered.
>
>413.2a If the spell or ability specifies targets, it checks whether
>the targets are still legal. A target that's removed from play, or
>from the zone designated by the spell or ability, is illegal. A target
>may also become illegal if its characteristics changed since the spell
>or ability was played or if an effect changed the text of the spell.
>If all targets are now illegal, the spell or ability is countered. If
>the spell or ability is not countered, it will resolve normally,
>affecting only the targets that are still legal. If a target is
>illegal, the spell or ability can't perform any actions on it or make
>the target perform any actions. If the spell or ability needs to know
>information about one or more targets that are now illegal, it will
>use the illegal targets' current or last known information.
>
>--
>Regards
> Simon Nejmann

Many thanks for both the timely and comprehensive response

Bill

Billjazzer sez:

<<
>The following situation occurs:
>I cast a creature spell;
>My opponent cast a counter spell;
>I inturn cast Ertai's Meddling" which delays the counter spell.
>
>Question: Does the counter spell resolve "X" turns later effect the casting of
>my creature?

No. By the time the counter resolves, the spell has resolved and become a
creature, and thus an illegal target of the counter. So, in effect, the
Meddling counters the counter spell...

----
If [Michael Moore] makes a mistake in [F 9/11], it's not that he's careless
with the facts ... It's that he suggests Bush is the cause of our problems,
when, in fact, Bush is just the result.
--The Libertarian Lessons of Fahrenheit 9/11

billjazzer@aol.com (Billjazzer) writes:

> The following situation occurs:
> I cast a creature spell;
> My opponent cast a counter spell;
> I inturn cast Ertai's Meddling" which delays the counter spell.
>
> Question: Does the counter spell resolve "X" turns later effect the casting
> of
> my creature?

Ertai's Meddling: {XU} |Instant| X can't be 0. / The next time target spell
would resolve, instead its controller removes it from the game, then puts X
delay counters on it. / As long as that card is removed from the game, remove
a delay counter from it at the beginning of that player's upkeep. If the card
has no delay counters on it, he or she puts it onto the stack as a copy of the
original spell.

It will be placed on the stack as a copy of the original spell, but it will
not resolve. By then, the Counterspell copy (which will have the same target
as the original) will have an illegal target (since it's not on the stack
anymore), so the Counterspell copied will be countered on resolution.

--
Lee Sharpe, lee.sharpe@gmail.com
DCI Level 2 Judge