Whipgrass Entangler

Hello.

Player A has Whipgrass Entangler and 3 other Clerics in play.
Player B has a Serra Angel in play.

Can player A pump his Whipgrass Entangler twice in order to force player B
to spend 4*2=8 mana in order to attack with the Serra Angel?

"Jimmy Wong" <j4389130@telus.net> writes:
> Player A has Whipgrass Entangler and 3 other Clerics in play.
> Player B has a Serra Angel in play.
>
> Can player A pump his Whipgrass Entangler twice in order to force player B
> to spend 4*2=8 mana in order to attack with the Serra Angel?

Yes, although your terminology is a little off. ("Pumping" abilities
doesn't mean anything.)

,----[ Oracle ]
| Whipgrass Entangler
| {2}{W}
| Creature -- Cleric
| 1/3
| {1}{W}: Until end of turn, target creature gains "This creature
| can't attack or block unless its controller pays {1} for each Cleric
| in play. (This cost is paid as attackers or blockers are declared.)"
`----

You can play the Entangler's ability as many times as you can pay the
cost. Each time that the ability resolves, the targeted creature gains
the ability that's in quotation marks. If this has happened twice by
the time player B is declaring attackers, then the Serra Angel has two
instances of the ability. When trying to declare it as an attacker, he
can only declare it successfully if all costs to attack can be
paid. So, he would need to satisfy the cost for each of the abilities
on it, a total of {8}, in order to attack with the Angel.

--
Peter C.
"Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you

Jimmy Wong <j4389130@telus.net> wrote:
>Player A has Whipgrass Entangler and 3 other Clerics in play.
>Player B has a Serra Angel in play.
>
>Can player A pump his Whipgrass Entangler twice in order to force player B
>to spend 4*2=8 mana in order to attack with the Serra Angel?

Whipgrass Entangler 2W Creature -- Cleric
1/3 1W: Until end of turn, target creature gains "This creature can't attack
or block unless its controller pays 1 for each Cleric in play. (This cost is
paid as attackers or blockers are declared.)".

He can use the power twice on the Angel, sure. And yes, the effect is
cumulative; having that ability twice means that both have to be satisfied
before the Angel can attack. (The cost is all paid at the same time, but
it's cumulative with itself, Propaganda, Brainwash, etc.; it's an additional
cost to attack.)

Dave

"Jimmy Wong" <j4389130@telus.net> writes:

> Hello.
>
> Player A has Whipgrass Entangler and 3 other Clerics in play.
> Player B has a Serra Angel in play.
>
> Can player A pump his Whipgrass Entangler twice in order to force player B
> to spend 4*2=8 mana in order to attack with the Serra Angel?

Whipgrass Entangler: {2W} |Creature -- Cleric| 1/3. 1W: Until end of turn,
target creature gains "This creature can't attack or block unless its
controller pays 1 for each Cleric in play."

Yes. Each activation generates a seperate ability on Serra Angel. These
requirements are seperate, and must be paid for seperately in order to attack
with the Serra Angel.
--
Lee Sharpe, lee.sharpe@gmail.com
DCI Level 2 Judge