Windows Support Tools Script Error

Running XP Pro/SP2. Installed Windows Support Tools from CD, everything
appeared to install properly. When I launch "Support Tools Help", the
following scripting error window appears:

"An error has occurred in the script on this page.

Line: 34
Char: 2
Error: Object expected
Code: 0

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page? Yes/No"

At the top of the page, a "Windows Tools" missing graphic box displays with
a red "X". Also, the alphabetical letter index does appear at the top of the
page, but each letter is underlined versus appearing in its own separate box.
I tried to e-mail MS directly but they bounced my message.

Does anyone have any ideas? BTW, I installed the same tools on my laptop
(from its own XP Pro/SP2 CD), and everything works fine on that computer!

TIA for your help.
7 answers Last reply
More about windows support tools script error

    Try this...
    Start | Run | Paste this in the box:

    C:\WINDOWS\Help\suptools.chm

    Click OK.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:C8B60FEE-1D1D-4164-8ACA-37DECFEFF8CA@microsoft.com,
    Phoenix <Phoenix@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Running XP Pro/SP2. Installed Windows Support Tools from CD,
    > everything appeared to install properly. When I launch "Support
    > Tools Help", the following scripting error window appears:
    >
    > "An error has occurred in the script on this page.
    >
    > Line: 34
    > Char: 2
    > Error: Object expected
    > Code: 0
    >
    > Do you want to continue running scripts on this page? Yes/No"
    >
    > At the top of the page, a "Windows Tools" missing graphic box
    > displays with a red "X". Also, the alphabetical letter index does
    > appear at the top of the page, but each letter is underlined versus
    > appearing in its own separate box. I tried to e-mail MS directly but
    > they bounced my message.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas? BTW, I installed the same tools on my
    > laptop (from its own XP Pro/SP2 CD), and everything works fine on
    > that computer!
    >
    > TIA for your help.

    Wesley,

    Your trick worked! (Thanks!). I am still puzzled about why using the
    Start>All Programs>Windows Support Tools>Support Tools Help doesn't work.

    Just to troubleshoot, I deleted the similar installation on my laptop, and
    installed the support tools from the Windows CD that came with my desktop on
    it, thinking that I might have gotten a CD with a bad file or something.
    However, the install went fine and the program worked just fine on my laptop.

    Next, thinking I might have something dorked up Office Pro 2003 that somehow
    was affecting the process, I performed a "detect and repair" off that install
    CD. Then I re-installed Windows Support Tools from the OEM Win XP Pro CD (I
    had previously un-installed it), ran it, and the same problem occurred. When
    I clicked the browser "back" button, another window popped up asking me if I
    wanted to debug the script...to which I answered "No."

    I certainly don't mind launching the app from the command line...I just wish
    I knew what was screwed up when I try to launch from the default installation!

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Try this...
    > Start | Run | Paste this in the box:
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\Help\suptools.chm
    >
    > Click OK.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:C8B60FEE-1D1D-4164-8ACA-37DECFEFF8CA@microsoft.com,
    > Phoenix <Phoenix@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Running XP Pro/SP2. Installed Windows Support Tools from CD,
    > > everything appeared to install properly. When I launch "Support
    > > Tools Help", the following scripting error window appears:
    > >
    > > "An error has occurred in the script on this page.
    > >
    > > Line: 34
    > > Char: 2
    > > Error: Object expected
    > > Code: 0
    > >
    > > Do you want to continue running scripts on this page? Yes/No"
    > >
    > > At the top of the page, a "Windows Tools" missing graphic box
    > > displays with a red "X". Also, the alphabetical letter index does
    > > appear at the top of the page, but each letter is underlined versus
    > > appearing in its own separate box. I tried to e-mail MS directly but
    > > they bounced my message.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any ideas? BTW, I installed the same tools on my
    > > laptop (from its own XP Pro/SP2 CD), and everything works fine on
    > > that computer!
    > >
    > > TIA for your help.

    Phoenix,

    I don't know why, so I posted what I did. :-)

    The only thing Office has to do with it, is that Office includes a Script
    Debugger.

    Something else you can do...
    Right click the Desktop | New | Shortcut |
    Paste this in for the location:

    C:\WINDOWS\Help\suptools.chm

    Click Next | Paste this in for the name:

    Support Tools Help 2 (or what ever)

    Click Finish | Navigate to >>
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Support
    Tools or where ever the Windows Support Tools folder is and drag the new
    shortcut into the folder.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:AF7BE30F-DCEB-43CE-97F7-FEABF2FA9E30@microsoft.com,
    Phoenix <Phoenix@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Wesley,
    >
    > Your trick worked! (Thanks!). I am still puzzled about why using the
    > Start>All Programs>Windows Support Tools>Support Tools Help doesn't
    > work.
    >
    > Just to troubleshoot, I deleted the similar installation on my
    > laptop, and installed the support tools from the Windows CD that came
    > with my desktop on it, thinking that I might have gotten a CD with a
    > bad file or something. However, the install went fine and the program
    > worked just fine on my laptop.
    >
    > Next, thinking I might have something dorked up Office Pro 2003 that
    > somehow was affecting the process, I performed a "detect and repair"
    > off that install CD. Then I re-installed Windows Support Tools from
    > the OEM Win XP Pro CD (I had previously un-installed it), ran it, and
    > the same problem occurred. When I clicked the browser "back" button,
    > another window popped up asking me if I wanted to debug the
    > script...to which I answered "No."
    >
    > I certainly don't mind launching the app from the command line...I
    > just wish I knew what was screwed up when I try to launch from the
    > default installation!
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Try this...
    >> Start | Run | Paste this in the box:
    >>
    >> C:\WINDOWS\Help\suptools.chm
    >>
    >> Click OK.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:C8B60FEE-1D1D-4164-8ACA-37DECFEFF8CA@microsoft.com,
    >> Phoenix <Phoenix@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Running XP Pro/SP2. Installed Windows Support Tools from CD,
    >>> everything appeared to install properly. When I launch "Support
    >>> Tools Help", the following scripting error window appears:
    >>>
    >>> "An error has occurred in the script on this page.
    >>>
    >>> Line: 34
    >>> Char: 2
    >>> Error: Object expected
    >>> Code: 0
    >>>
    >>> Do you want to continue running scripts on this page? Yes/No"
    >>>
    >>> At the top of the page, a "Windows Tools" missing graphic box
    >>> displays with a red "X". Also, the alphabetical letter index does
    >>> appear at the top of the page, but each letter is underlined versus
    >>> appearing in its own separate box. I tried to e-mail MS directly
    >>> but they bounced my message.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have any ideas? BTW, I installed the same tools on my
    >>> laptop (from its own XP Pro/SP2 CD), and everything works fine on
    >>> that computer!
    >>>
    >>> TIA for your help.

    Wesley,

    I already created the shortcut, naming it the same but with (good) after the
    name. The original one I appended with (bad). I looked at the shortcut
    properties and it points to "st.xml" at the end of the line...so I think that
    is where the problem lies. I'll keep fooling around to see if I can stumble
    on someting. The difference between the two is that the "st.xml" opens up as
    a portion of the Windows Help and Support Center window, whereas
    "suptools.chm" opens as a stand alone window. Regardless, I greatly
    appreciate your help!

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Phoenix,
    >
    > I don't know why, so I posted what I did. :-)
    >
    > The only thing Office has to do with it, is that Office includes a Script
    > Debugger.
    >
    > Something else you can do...
    > Right click the Desktop | New | Shortcut |
    > Paste this in for the location:
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\Help\suptools.chm
    >
    > Click Next | Paste this in for the name:
    >
    > Support Tools Help 2 (or what ever)
    >
    > Click Finish | Navigate to >>
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Support
    > Tools or where ever the Windows Support Tools folder is and drag the new
    > shortcut into the folder.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:AF7BE30F-DCEB-43CE-97F7-FEABF2FA9E30@microsoft.com,
    > Phoenix <Phoenix@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Wesley,
    > >
    > > Your trick worked! (Thanks!). I am still puzzled about why using the
    > > Start>All Programs>Windows Support Tools>Support Tools Help doesn't
    > > work.
    > >
    > > Just to troubleshoot, I deleted the similar installation on my
    > > laptop, and installed the support tools from the Windows CD that came
    > > with my desktop on it, thinking that I might have gotten a CD with a
    > > bad file or something. However, the install went fine and the program
    > > worked just fine on my laptop.
    > >
    > > Next, thinking I might have something dorked up Office Pro 2003 that
    > > somehow was affecting the process, I performed a "detect and repair"
    > > off that install CD. Then I re-installed Windows Support Tools from
    > > the OEM Win XP Pro CD (I had previously un-installed it), ran it, and
    > > the same problem occurred. When I clicked the browser "back" button,
    > > another window popped up asking me if I wanted to debug the
    > > script...to which I answered "No."
    > >
    > > I certainly don't mind launching the app from the command line...I
    > > just wish I knew what was screwed up when I try to launch from the
    > > default installation!
    > >
    > > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Try this...
    > >> Start | Run | Paste this in the box:
    > >>
    > >> C:\WINDOWS\Help\suptools.chm
    > >>
    > >> Click OK.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >>
    > >> Wes
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> In news:C8B60FEE-1D1D-4164-8ACA-37DECFEFF8CA@microsoft.com,
    > >> Phoenix <Phoenix@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    Wesley,

    I'd already done as you suggested with the shortcut! The "bad" shortcut
    ends with "st.xml" on the command line, so I suspect that is where the
    problem exists. It is supposed to open as part of the Windows "Help and
    Support" window. "suptools.chm" opens in its own window.

    Regardless, thanks for your help. Somehow, I may stumble upon the answer...

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Phoenix,
    >
    > I don't know why, so I posted what I did. :-)
    >
    > The only thing Office has to do with it, is that Office includes a Script
    > Debugger.
    >
    > Something else you can do...
    > Right click the Desktop | New | Shortcut |
    > Paste this in for the location:
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\Help\suptools.chm
    >
    > Click Next | Paste this in for the name:
    >
    > Support Tools Help 2 (or what ever)
    >
    > Click Finish | Navigate to >>
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Support
    > Tools or where ever the Windows Support Tools folder is and drag the new
    > shortcut into the folder.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:AF7BE30F-DCEB-43CE-97F7-FEABF2FA9E30@microsoft.com,
    > Phoenix <Phoenix@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Wesley,
    > >
    > > Your trick worked! (Thanks!). I am still puzzled about why using the
    > > Start>All Programs>Windows Support Tools>Support Tools Help doesn't
    > > work.
    > >
    > > Just to troubleshoot, I deleted the similar installation on my
    > > laptop, and installed the support tools from the Windows CD that came
    > > with my desktop on it, thinking that I might have gotten a CD with a
    > > bad file or something. However, the install went fine and the program
    > > worked just fine on my laptop.
    > >
    > > Next, thinking I might have something dorked up Office Pro 2003 that
    > > somehow was affecting the process, I performed a "detect and repair"
    > > off that install CD. Then I re-installed Windows Support Tools from
    > > the OEM Win XP Pro CD (I had previously un-installed it), ran it, and
    > > the same problem occurred. When I clicked the browser "back" button,
    > > another window popped up asking me if I wanted to debug the
    > > script...to which I answered "No."
    > >
    > > I certainly don't mind launching the app from the command line...I
    > > just wish I knew what was screwed up when I try to launch from the
    > > default installation!
    > >
    > > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Try this...
    > >> Start | Run | Paste this in the box:
    > >>
    > >> C:\WINDOWS\Help\suptools.chm
    > >>
    > >> Click OK.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >>
    > >> Wes
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> In news:C8B60FEE-1D1D-4164-8ACA-37DECFEFF8CA@microsoft.com,
    > >> Phoenix <Phoenix@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    Compare the st.xml file, laptop/desktop, you can open it in IE.

    Or just use the new shortcut and keep on trucking. :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:5E14C8D1-F939-4A12-A8C8-B07BE4FCCA1A@microsoft.com,
    Phoenix <Phoenix@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Wesley,
    >
    > I'd already done as you suggested with the shortcut! The "bad"
    > shortcut ends with "st.xml" on the command line, so I suspect that is
    > where the problem exists. It is supposed to open as part of the
    > Windows "Help and Support" window. "suptools.chm" opens in its own
    > window.
    >
    > Regardless, thanks for your help. Somehow, I may stumble upon the
    > answer...
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Phoenix,
    >>
    >> I don't know why, so I posted what I did. :-)
    >>
    >> The only thing Office has to do with it, is that Office includes a
    >> Script Debugger.
    >>
    >> Something else you can do...
    >> Right click the Desktop | New | Shortcut |
    >> Paste this in for the location:
    >>
    >> C:\WINDOWS\Help\suptools.chm
    >>
    >> Click Next | Paste this in for the name:
    >>
    >> Support Tools Help 2 (or what ever)
    >>
    >> Click Finish | Navigate to >>
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Windows
    >> Support Tools or where ever the Windows Support Tools folder is and
    >> drag the new shortcut into the folder.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:AF7BE30F-DCEB-43CE-97F7-FEABF2FA9E30@microsoft.com,
    >> Phoenix <Phoenix@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Wesley,
    >>>
    >>> Your trick worked! (Thanks!). I am still puzzled about why using
    >>> the Start>All Programs>Windows Support Tools>Support Tools Help
    >>> doesn't work.
    >>>
    >>> Just to troubleshoot, I deleted the similar installation on my
    >>> laptop, and installed the support tools from the Windows CD that
    >>> came with my desktop on it, thinking that I might have gotten a CD
    >>> with a bad file or something. However, the install went fine and
    >>> the program worked just fine on my laptop.
    >>>
    >>> Next, thinking I might have something dorked up Office Pro 2003 that
    >>> somehow was affecting the process, I performed a "detect and repair"
    >>> off that install CD. Then I re-installed Windows Support Tools from
    >>> the OEM Win XP Pro CD (I had previously un-installed it), ran it,
    >>> and the same problem occurred. When I clicked the browser "back"
    >>> button, another window popped up asking me if I wanted to debug the
    >>> script...to which I answered "No."
    >>>
    >>> I certainly don't mind launching the app from the command line...I
    >>> just wish I knew what was screwed up when I try to launch from the
    >>> default installation!

    Will do, will advise.

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Compare the st.xml file, laptop/desktop, you can open it in IE.
    >
    > Or just use the new shortcut and keep on trucking. :-)
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:5E14C8D1-F939-4A12-A8C8-B07BE4FCCA1A@microsoft.com,
    > Phoenix <Phoenix@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Wesley,
    > >
    > > I'd already done as you suggested with the shortcut! The "bad"
    > > shortcut ends with "st.xml" on the command line, so I suspect that is
    > > where the problem exists. It is supposed to open as part of the
    > > Windows "Help and Support" window. "suptools.chm" opens in its own
    > > window.
    > >
    > > Regardless, thanks for your help. Somehow, I may stumble upon the
    > > answer...
    > >
    > > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Phoenix,
    > >>
    > >> I don't know why, so I posted what I did. :-)
    > >>
    > >> The only thing Office has to do with it, is that Office includes a
    > >> Script Debugger.
    > >>
    > >> Something else you can do...
    > >> Right click the Desktop | New | Shortcut |
    > >> Paste this in for the location:
    > >>
    > >> C:\WINDOWS\Help\suptools.chm
    > >>
    > >> Click Next | Paste this in for the name:
    > >>
    > >> Support Tools Help 2 (or what ever)
    > >>
    > >> Click Finish | Navigate to >>
    > >> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Windows
    > >> Support Tools or where ever the Windows Support Tools folder is and
    > >> drag the new shortcut into the folder.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >>
    > >> Wes