Time Warner Holding Back Super-fast Broadband?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
No doubt! This has got to be the most backwards company in the communications business i have ever seen. Lets take a page from GM's playbook on how to run a company!!

DarkMatterBT

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Well I for one see this as their way to get back at customers for their backlash of their consumption based plans. I say let there current system stand, let them watch there competition upgrade there systems and speeds, and let them see there customer base move to other options. This is nothing more than a corporate hissy fit in progress. Got my vote for one of the worst run companies ever, and thats saying a lot in the current economic situation were all witnessing.

gwellin

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
Well the good news of holding back on super fast broadband connection is we now wont hit our bandwidth cap within the first 15 minutes each month.

greenskye

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I've never understood the "faster speeds, but less data" approach.

Old way: You run a marathon on foot but you get to go 26 miles.
New way: They give you a ferrari but you're only allowed to drive it 100 meters.

How does that make sense??

G

So give me a 50mb/sec internet speed but limit my traffic to 10-50GB??? SO I can reach my limit faster? Really guys, I do not understand the internet companies.

marsax73

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
[citation][nom]greenskye[/nom]I've never understood the "faster speeds, but less data" approach.Old way: You run a marathon on foot but you get to go 26 miles.New way: They give you a ferrari but you're only allowed to drive it 100 meters.How does that make sense??[/citation]

I say let those who want the superfast connections just pay more and let those who are happy with their current speeds to pay no more than $35-40 a month. I mean it's competitive with other countries. I don't need anymore than 12 Mbs downloads. I'm completely fine with that but NO bandwidth limitations.

But what do I know...I'm only a consumer

G

thousands of TW customers jumped ship when they announced the tier program. Anyone still on TW and has somewhere else to go needs to go ahead and cancel their subscription and change companies. If more people would continue this action then TW would be forced to look at themselves and stop this silly game that they are playing.
If the numbers leaving TW start reaching into the tens of thousands then you are removing million$ per month from TW and that is the type of action that is needed.

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
How about a tiered system where the faster the internet package you're subscribed to the higher the cap limit. ex. 10Mbps/50 Gig cap limit, 16Mbps/80 Gig cap limit, 50Mbps/250 Gig cap limit. If you want a higher cap limit than you have to pay more, but you also get the benefit of more speed. I really like Comcasts approach though where they have a 250 gig cap limit, which allows at least 8 gigs a day for the whole month. Cox Communications has cap limits, but they are never really enforced.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Let's hope they invested heavily with Leeman Brothers. Go die now Time Warner, the free market has rejected you.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
it's all nonsense, they could roll out the higher speed tiers without the caps, the caps and high cost are there to preserve their current table tv subscribers. else in time most people would move over and get their tv from their internet directly from the distrubutors. it will happen anyways, it'll just take a little longer abd be a little more painful. what we need is internet providers that are not selling us cable tv or phone service, ect. otherwise they favor their business model over their consumer

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
They're generating a buzz, but for all the wrong reasons.

Do we need more competition? I'm sad to say that I have ONE cable option where I live and ONE dsl option. They're both 1.5meg down and both charge $40+/mo. It sucks. I can barely stream a South Park episode online. Forget streaming HQ content. I have to pause and let it load.

.. and then I read that a Japan company offers something like 50meg for $35. Give me an effing break.

sonicmachinehead

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
[citation][nom]marsax73[/nom]I say let those who want the superfast connections just pay more and let those who are happy with their current speeds to pay no more than $35-40 a month. I mean it's competitive with other countries. I don't need anymore than 12 Mbs downloads. I'm completely fine with that but NO bandwidth limitations.But what do I know...I'm only a consumer[/citation]

It's only competitive to countries like Mexico, Somalia, (insert 3rd world with internet access here) Look at countries like Germany and Japan where the internet infrastructure promotes growth and speed and doesn't hinder it based of profit margins.

mustwarnothers

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Time Warner is taking its proverbial ball, and going home.

Scumbags.

Hey Time Warner, I don't know if you noticed, but we're in a recession.

Maybe now is not the best time to try and gouge the fuck out of your customers, when every customer is monitoring their expenses, if only a bit more.

How stupid can you be? I hope these idiotic choices that you've made cause a slip in your market share.

Then you can explain to your shareholders how such a small group of greedy corporate swine, were able to fuck up in such a massive way.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
i hope this company crashes and burns. if you use steam, where if you uninstall your games, to install them again you have to download them, it'll eat up your GB cap fast. Time Warner you are an effing joke.

my_name_is_earl

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
with TW, everything is sketchy. Why waste your time crossing your finger when you can just move to a different provider? They not the only one offer high speed.

audioee

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
I have an idea, but it would go against net neutrality.

Have site based download weighting toward a monthly cap. For example, "legitimate" site likes iTunes, Netflix, Hulu, Steam, Windows update, etc. would have a 0.1-0.25 multiplier applied to data downloaded (1GB downloaded = 100-250MB toward a cap). While sites known to have a large quantity of pirated material would have a multiplier of 1 or more toward the same download cap. So users that play online games and stream movies from "pay-to-play" sites can download what they need and most likely not hit a cap and users who abuse the system will be penalized.

Just my two cents. And I know a lot of you here will say my idea isn't even worth that.

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
The real focus here I don't think is about video downloads or software upgrades. I don't think they are even targeting the online gamers although it may be some of that.

The real battle coming is for TWC to try to obliterate VOIP's like Vonage and Magicjack, and the expansion of free webcam based communication systems like the ones in Yahoo Messenger and Tokbox.

There are a lot of International customers out there talking to relatives around the world on their webcams for free. My wife spends 3 or 4 hours a week either on Vonage or Tokbox with her relatives in Philippines and that has got to use up a bunch of Gb's of data streaming.

TWC has their own VOIP phone system and you can imagine that getting rid of all the free riders that they can't make money off of or forcing people to pay extra for them reduces the competition to their main battle with Yahoo/AT&T Uverse DSL Broadband.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Just so you guys know:
As soon as the word came out on the tiered caps I immediately called TW here in portland, maine and told them they will lose me as a customer if they ever try and do this in maine.I actually called them once a week.
second thing I did was file an FCC complaint
third thing I did was talk to my lawyer
fourth thing i did was to tell everyone i know who understands computers what Tw was going to try and do to us loyal customers.

anyways i got a phone call from TW on moinday and spoke to a PR person who called about my FCC complaint.We talked for around 20 minutes and she was very nice.I want you to know she was not pleased at her company's plans and t old me how she works a long day and has her home computer setup to download TV shows to watch that she misses due to her long commute and workday.She realized that rthese caps were screwing here over as well.She totally understood the issue and was all the way on our side not her company's side.I enjoyed our discussion and we both understood that if this goes to caps we are both looking elsewhere for ISP.

I do think that we all need to work hard whereever we live in the USA.Write to the goverment,file an FCC claim,talk to a lawyer,tell your buddies and let us all work together to try and see if we can have net neutrality.
NO CAPS !!!! We need to have our access to the net without the BS.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
also please do not support any views other than a flat rate access.
that is unless you are greedy and own a company.
al of us guys on this site are i am sure technically aware.so be aware that if you want to continue watching videos,using steam,buying itunes and other online videos, and do what work you want to with big files
all of us normal "little" guys need to have the same viewpoint.
FLAT RATE MONTHLY BILLS !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.