Furnace Dragon / Mycosynth Lattice

2 cards involved:

Card Name: Furnace Dragon
Color: R
Cost: 6RRR
Type: Creature — Dragon
Pow/Tgh: 5/5
Rules Text: Affinity for artifacts (This spell costs 1 less to
play for each artifact you control.)
Flying
When Furnace Dragon comes into play, if you played
it from your hand, remove all artifacts from the game.

Card Name: Mycosynth Lattice
Color: A
Cost: 6
Type: Artifact
Pow/Tgh:
Rules Text: All permanents are artifacts in addition to their other
types.
All cards that aren't in play, spells, and permanents
are colorless.
Players may spend mana as though it were mana of any
color.

Mycosynth Lattice is in play. I summon a Furnace Dragon. Does the
Furnace Dragon become an artifact before all artifacts are removed
from the game, in which case the Furnace Dragon would be removed from
the game as well? Or does the Dragon's triggered ability occur while
it is still colorless? Thanks!

"SulfuricMox" <sulfuricmox@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> 2 cards involved:
>
> Card Name: Furnace Dragon
> Color: R
> Cost: 6RRR
> Type: Creature - Dragon
> Pow/Tgh: 5/5
> Rules Text: Affinity for artifacts (This spell costs 1 less to
> play for each artifact you control.)
> Flying
> When Furnace Dragon comes into play, if you played
> it from your hand, remove all artifacts from the game.
>
> Card Name: Mycosynth Lattice
> Color: A
> Cost: 6
> Type: Artifact
> Pow/Tgh:
> Rules Text: All permanents are artifacts in addition to their other
> types.
> All cards that aren't in play, spells, and permanents
> are colorless.
> Players may spend mana as though it were mana of any
> color.
>
> Mycosynth Lattice is in play. I summon a Furnace Dragon. Does the
> Furnace Dragon become an artifact before all artifacts are removed
> from the game, in which case the Furnace Dragon would be removed from
> the game as well? Or does the Dragon's triggered ability occur while
> it is still colorless? Thanks!

What happens is the Furnace Dragon spell resolves and the Dragon comes into
play. Normally, the Dragon would stop being a red spell on the stack and
become a red permanent. However, with the Lattice in play, as soon as it
hits the table, two things happen.
1) It stops being a colorless spell on the stack and becomes an Artifact
Creature (this doesn't use the stack)
2) The comes into play triggered ability goes on the stack.

Once this resolves, assuming that Mycosynth Lattice is still in play, then
everything, including Furnace Dragon, is removed from the game.

Hope that helps.

--

KB

SulfuricMox <sulfuricmox@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Furnace Dragon 6RRR Creature - Dragon
>5/5 Flying Affinity for artifacts (*) / When ~ comes into play, if you played
> it from your hand, remove all artifacts from the game.
>Mycosynth Lattice 6 Artifact
> All permanents are artifacts in addition to their other types. / All cards
> that aren't in play, spells, and permanents are colorless. / Players may
> spend mana as though it were mana of any color.

If the Lattice is in play when the Dragon's ability resolves, all _permanents_
get removed from the game (including the Dragon itself), since they are all
artifacts.

>Mycosynth Lattice is in play. I summon a Furnace Dragon. Does the
>Furnace Dragon become an artifact before all artifacts are removed
>from the game, in which case the Furnace Dragon would be removed from
>the game as well? Or does the Dragon's triggered ability occur while
>it is still colorless? Thanks!

The Furnace Dragon is an artifact as soon as it comes into play, before its
triggered ability actually even gets checked or (due to a small oddity about
the comes-into-play stuff). It is certainly an artifact some time later when
that ability -resolves- off the stack, after both players have had chances
to respond.

The Furnace Dragon is colorless while on the stack, because there it's a
"card that isn't in play" _and_ a spell; it's colorless while in play, because
there it's a permanent. This is -separate- from whether it's an artifact; it
is NOT an artifact -spell- on the stack, it's just a colorless creature spell.

(This is assuming you cast the spell from your hand, of course. If not, the
Dragon's ability never gets to trigger at all.)

Dave