Computer Doesn't Recognize CD Roms

Help! I am running Windows XP at home and have a cd rom drive. The cd
drive only works with certain programs. As an example, if I run NERO Cd

copying program it recognizes the cd in the tray and I can run the
program, but if I put a cd in the tray and go into the cd drive on my
computer, it doesn't recognize that a disc is there. When I put a cd
rom (like Norton anti-virus) which should normally open up and run
automatically, nothing happens. I go into My Computer and open the E
cd drive and it says no disc in there. If I boot my computer when the
cd rom is in the drawer it will start up then!

Any help will be appreciated.

The AutoRun feature or the AutoPlay feature does not work when you insert a CD-ROM in the drive:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330135

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509