Finally decided on ATi

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Just ordered the ATI SAPPHIRE RADEON 9800 PRO 256MB RETAIL. Should be here in a few days. Also, comes with SOF2. That should be fun. Finally!

When I have a problem with ATI's drivers, I assume it's their fault. When I have a problem with nVidia's drivers, I assume it's my fault

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
my 500mhz ddr vram is having penis envy of your -2.8 or better vram

-------

<A HREF="http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001355.html" target="_new">*I hate thug gangstas*</A>

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
NO SHIZ? Good for you, man. Well, if you're confident that YOU made the right purchase, that's what really matters.

Tit for tat, butter for fat, ATi's dog kicks nVidia's cat

(Maximum PC)

eden

Champion
I didn't follow on any thread you created where you were choosing between the FX5900 Ultra and the 9800PRO 256MB, so could you sum up what made you switch your choice?
Fancy seeing ya switch after so much rambling on nVidia's drivers! :wink:
PS: Great choice and good luck, hope it works well with ya!
--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/news.html" target="_new"><font color=red><b>Join the Tom's Hardware Guide Community Photo album, send us your pics!</font color=red></b></A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 07/07/03 11:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

dhlucke

Polypheme
What system do you have?

My problem is that I'm going to have to buy a new motherboard, memory, and CPU along with my Videocard in order to really enjoy it so I'm just going to wait until HL2 is released.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=389&s=1fee5dab901bebe29da7aa1c2658fc6f" target="_new"><font color=red>dhlucke's system</font color=red></A>

<font color=blue>GOD</font color=blue> <font color=red>BLESS</font color=red> <font color=blue>AMERICA</font color=blue>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Thanks everybody…. I was facing the same situation and decided to upgrade my cpu and mobo first, since I wasn’t sure what card I wanted anyways. I was using a XP1800 on a Abit KR7A-R mobo with Corsair XMS DDR 2400.

Now I have a P4P800 mobo and a 2.8 cpu clock at a very stable 3.36. I’m still using the DDR 2400, which is at 192 MHz 2.5-4-4-8. I’m not sure what memory to get to try to get better speed, if I buy any at all. Mean while the cpu is at 240 FSB.

To sum up why the 9800 P over the 5900 U, IMHO I would have to say simply because of the IQ. I bent over backwards and went out of my way to find reviews to support getting the FX, which was no easy task. And even though I was pulling for the FX I wasn’t overly impressed, and even where the FX shined the ATi was always near, but the FX wasn’t when the ATi shined. No matter what I read it was close or favored ATi, either it be now or in the future. Beside if I’m going to spend the big buck I least should be able to get rid of the jaggies and a nice crisp pic. And I feel confident with ATi, since there drivers are at there best.

I really wasn’t sure what ATi card to get, so hopefully I got a good one. I tried to stay away from the cheapest ones, and even thought 256 mb was a lot more I figured it was a must and I knew I wouldn’t be happy settling for less.

I said it before and I’ll say it again. This is the last upgrade, lol.

When I have a problem with ATI's drivers, I assume it's their fault. When I have a problem with nVidia's drivers, I assume it's my fault<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jiffy on 07/08/03 06:27 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Well it's likely to be as 'Future Proof' as you are going to get for now. And since you are buying now with no intention on replacing, the 256mb might be a good choice (only time will tell).

Enjoy the card, and let us know how things go (for better or for worse).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I’ll get some enjoyment of the card now, I’ll replay some of my games and some new ones with plenty of eye candy. My only hope for the future is the next cards are flops for I won’t feel so bad, hehe. Either way there a little ways away yet, so until then I can party.

I just hope I can uninstall my driver and replace the card and get going right away. I’ll download the latest driver and have that ready. Then uninstall my driver, shut down, and install the new card and load the driver. Is that it, is it that simple, or do I need to do anything else?

When I have a problem with ATI's drivers, I assume it's their fault. When I have a problem with nVidia's drivers, I assume it's my fault

Should be prett much however since it is an Nvidia to ATI switch you may want to run Detonator Destroyer or Detonator Rip. Check <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=357658#357658" target="_new">THIS</A> thread about that.

Uninstall the drivers, run either program, install (if you don't aready have them) the latest MOBO AGP/4-in-1 drivers, then power down, then swap cards, then power up and folow instructions for your card for driver installation.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Thanks…It wouldn’t hurt to run DD. I’ll have to check out my latest drivers as well going from an Athlon VIA mobo to Intel cpu and chip it’s new to me. I already updated my BIOS, but will check that again too.

Thanks again. I better get going, for I can pay for this card, lol.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Buy the 128 MB version and save your monet

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Well I believe some reviews said the card slowed down and they said that more memory might of help. I’m also thinking of big maps that may use over 128 mb, also higher resolutions that my monitor will support. Beside I already ordered the card. I change the shipping address and card number, but I’m hoping it won’t cause any delay and I have the card by the end of the week.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
SoF2? Well thats not exactly the game to show off such a hot card, its based off the q3a engine. Awesome game though. Single player is actually pretty impressive graphically. Youll see, after u start the game and once you get past the stupid videos, then youre like in a street in Prague. Nice lighting, nice weather effects, and when ya go out into the main part of the street from the alley, you shoot this big gas tank or something, and it explodes and its pretty cool.

But can i PLEASE PLEASE have your key for multiplayer?
If you try it and decide you dont like it please gimme the key cause I could definately use one to put on my moms computer so me and a friend can play at the same time.

theocking@cox.net

send the key to that addy if you are a nice person!

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Send you the key, your kidding right! Since last time you responded to me was to threw stones and insult me. I’ll send something to the address, but it won’t be a key, lol. Just kidding.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Hehe (i think) scratching head.

Hmm I just found out that 256 mb = Hot DDRII. Doesn’t look good for overclocking.

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
Wrong-o, man, the 9800 256 ships with memory heatsinks, should be a decent overclocker. That's what it said in Maximum PC

Tit for tat, butter for fat, ATi's dog kicks nVidia's cat

(Maximum PC)

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Would you happen to have the link? I couldn’t find it, but I did see where THG said:

The board, which ATI has kept in its typical red color, is longer, and on each of the 16 Samsung K4N26323AE-GC22 memory components in BGA packaging, there's a silver cooling unit. And this is urgently needed, too, because the DDR II memory develops an enormous amount of heat. In operation, the coolers become so hot that you can barely touch them.

It's interesting, though, that the Samsung memory modules used on the test card are specified for up to 450 MHz. When asked about this, ATI explained that they were able to buy these modules at a good price from Samsung after one of their larger clients cancelled. When the cards hit the retails stores, they should also be equipped with these memory modules. Overclockers will be pleased. The heat, however, increases from hot to sizzling, as shown by the first overclocking tests.

<A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030604/index.html " target="_new">full review here</A>

I’m sure whenever you overclock you can exspect things to get hot, but how hot, and what about at stock?

eden

Champion
It'll be hotter but this 450MHZ certification may mean it is in fact overclockable to such heights.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/news.html" target="_new"><font color=red><b>Join the Tom's Hardware Guide Community Photo album, send us your pics!</font color=red></b></A>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
The clock speed of the chip, 380 MHz, has not been changed. On the other hand, the memory now runs 10 MHz faster, at <b>350 MHz</b> (DDR II).

I see, thanks. That's cool I feel better now. <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=14-102-294-05.JPG/14-102-294-02.JPG/14-102-294-03.JPG/14-102-294-04.JPG/14-102-294-01.JPG" target="_new">maybe I won't need this after all, lol</A> And it doesn’t seem like they felt the need to cover the ram.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Those ramsinks are small and crappy though, switch em out with some bigger/better ones. Like tweakmonster ones.

Yeah the memory will get really hot, but its within spec, it should go to at least 450 like its rated I would assume.

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd