system restore won't work

It seems that my system restore will not create a restore point at all, and i
can not even go back to a previous month for a restore point. I'm running
windows xp sp2
it is turned on. I would appreciate any suggestions. I tried to post this as
a question, but I could not get to a screen that would let me write anything.
sorry

Hi Kathy,

Once System Restore goes bad, the only thing you can do is stop it and
restart it. Start/run services.msc, locate the SR service and doubleclick
it. Click the stop button, then set the startup type dropdown to disabled.
Click apply/ok, then reboot.

Then, check the "System Volume Information folder" on each drive (you may
need to set folder options/view tab to see hidden and system folders for
this) and delete any contents. Reverse the steps to restart it.

Be forewarned that doing this removes all existing restore points, but it
doesn't really matter as they weren't working anyways.

If this does not help, follow these steps to reinstall System Restore:

Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, set it to "Show hidden
files and folders" and "Show the contents of system folders", then uncheck
"Hide protected operating system files [recommended]". Also uncheck "Hide
extensions for known file types".

Then, open Windows Explorer from Start/All Programs and go to the
C:\Windows\Inf folder. Locate the sr.inf file, right-click it and choose
install.

You may need to either insert your WinXP CD or know where your I386 folder
is located on the hard drive. You may also need to know where the
\ServicePackFiles folder is (usually under the Windows directory).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone