IE6: Launch Window will not remain open

Whenever I click on some links from within an IE6 window, the link
will open anc close almost immediately. I have disabled my Yahoo,
Google and IE popup blockers to no avail. If I click on "open in new
window" I get a "page unavailable" message.

I've tried as many fixes as I can find information for that resemble
my problem, all to no avail. This is a brand new installation of XP.
It was occuring with the first installation as well.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kathi
3 answers Last reply
More about launch window remain open

    Go to Start/Run, and type: REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL Then open IE, Tools menu, Options, Program Tab, and click the "Reset Web Settings"
    button.

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "Kathi S." <kstein@harbornet.com> wrote in message news:34jm21ptr2hgqld1o4k4es9dmqogaq65sb@4ax.com...
    > Whenever I click on some links from within an IE6 window, the link
    > will open anc close almost immediately. I have disabled my Yahoo,
    > Google and IE popup blockers to no avail. If I click on "open in new
    > window" I get a "page unavailable" message.
    >
    > I've tried as many fixes as I can find information for that resemble
    > my problem, all to no avail. This is a brand new installation of XP.
    > It was occuring with the first installation as well.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    >
    > Kathi

    On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 07:35:07 -0600, "Mark L. Ferguson"
    <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Go to Start/Run, and type: REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL Then open IE, Tools menu, Options, Program Tab, and click the "Reset Web Settings"
    >button.

    Mark,

    Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately the problem remains. FYI I
    am running XPProSP2; I use Zonealarm Pro, AVG7 antivirus and have run
    Adaware and Spybot. I attempted to use Trendmicro's Housecall but,
    couldn't because of the problem of the IE window closing. I tried
    finding info using Google and found that others have been having the
    same problem (some messages were from last summer) and the only
    suggestion that I haven't tried yet was to reinstall the video drivers
    (which I'll try in the morning).

    What I don't understand is that when I did the first XP installation
    the problem appeared about a month or more after. Due to a really
    stupid mistake on my part, I was forced to do a clean install; but
    this time, the problem popped up right away (sigh).

    Kathi

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 00:53:46 -0800, Kathi S. <kstein@harbornet.com>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 07:35:07 -0600, "Mark L. Ferguson"
    ><marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Go to Start/Run, and type: REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL Then open IE, Tools menu, Options, Program Tab, and click the "Reset Web Settings"
    >>button.
    >
    >Mark,
    >
    >Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately the problem remains. FYI I
    >am running XPProSP2; I use Zonealarm Pro, AVG7 antivirus and have run
    >Adaware and Spybot. I attempted to use Trendmicro's Housecall but,
    >couldn't because of the problem of the IE window closing. I tried
    >finding info using Google and found that others have been having the
    >same problem (some messages were from last summer) and the only
    >suggestion that I haven't tried yet was to reinstall the video drivers
    >(which I'll try in the morning).
    >
    >What I don't understand is that when I did the first XP installation
    >the problem appeared about a month or more after. Due to a really
    >stupid mistake on my part, I was forced to do a clean install; but
    >this time, the problem popped up right away (sigh).
    >
    >Kathi

    Mark, I finally, after trying just about everyting, figured out that
    it was AdWatch that was causing the IE problem. I will have to find
    out if there's a setting to stop its effect on IE, but meanwhile I've
    removed it from the startup list.

    Just wanted to post this in case anyone else was having the same
    problem.

    Kathi

Internet Explorer IE6 Windows XP