Report: Intel SSD Price Cut on April 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

don't buy into SSDs quite yet people...

intel is supposedly releasing not only a new line of SSDs late 09... but also a new controller with it... (larger capacity and cheaper to manufacture)

I'm getting these assuming they don't flop and aren't the same $/GB

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
It's not so much the pricing anymore - for me, it's the seemingly endless confusion of how fast it really is. There's a lot of misinformation out there. I'm concerned that I have to jump through hoops to get it to work well with XP and Vista. (e.g. can't use it on the system drive, can use it on the system drive, never defrag, use it only for reads, not writes, bad for games, good for apps, continuous writes are slow, random writes are slow, etc.)

Reading all the SSD reviews on Newegg, each model and brand seems to be unique and some seem to get horrid reviews mixed with fantastic reviews. It's not a mature technology yet. I consider myself on the cutting edge of technology (most of us on THG are) but I'm going to wait until Microsoft updates their OS to take advantage of SSD's strong suits.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
They are definately the future, but right now they are still too expensive. They should
be affordable in two years. Maybe in two years they can find a way to make them in
higher volume at a much lower price. Chopping 50 dollars off a $700.00 HD isn't
enough to prompt me to buy one. For $ 700.00 i can by a complete CPU, the extra speed is
nice but it will just have to wait.

zedx

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
It might take another five years for them to match current HDD prices $/GB at this rate until a revolutionary and surprising cheap product comes up...

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
It's nice to see them heading in the correct pricing direction, but it's still way too much money for me. And like JWL3 said, there are so many mixed reviews with them and the technology is so new it'd be difficult to feel comfortable spending so much on something that has a large variable.

G

Simply put, SSD are a new technology. Overpriced with many bugs still. I know SSD will take over HDD in the coming years, but with reports of errors, writing issues and others its not worth the risk to set a new computer to fully SSD at the moment. Like anything else, they need to do hardcore research on what people want. Simply put, we need something that works and isn't to expensive.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]crisisavatar[/nom]one word, OCZ VORTEX in your face Intel !.[/citation]
Dude... if you're gonna try and get all up in someones face with a "boo yah!" then at least say it right. Its Vertex, OCZ Vertex. Yea, I like em too and that's what I'd buy if I were buying an SSD

(also, that'd be two words)

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Why would anyone pay 600+ bucks for a SSD from intel when you can get a different brand (OCZ, Super talent, ect) in the 100-200 price range?

I'll save 500 bucks and wait an extra 4 seconds for windows to load, or an extra 2 seconds for a videogame level to load... lol

martin0642

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Most THG readers are not cutting edge or even proficient, most are enthusiasts with an overly generous assessment of their own abilities.

Go to Anandtech and read his SSD article and you'll see that SSDs are ready for mainstream use. Some are just better than others, but all are getting better. ARS and Anand tend to have much more in-depth technical explanations of tech, but the 32 page articles is a turn off for some. SSDs just need a price cut and a few new controller technologies to take full advantage of features that are unique to them.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
I wouldn't consider it a "step" in the right direction. It's just how the tech world works as far as I'm concerned. The longer it's out, the cheaper it will get. That is until it reverses due to no longer being in production(DDR1) Still, like everyone noted, I bet any real consumer would have to wait, at the very least, another year before these prices become in the "ehhh, not too too bad" price range.

Status
Not open for further replies.