What is spodbc50.dll?

rishooty

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Hello, I have upgraded to windows 7 just recently so I decided to clean and defragment my harddrives and registry. So i tried a few registry cleaners to find one that wasn't so aggressive on files that didn't need to be attacked at all. First I tried CCleaner and that was exactly what i didn't want, then i tried iobit advanced systemcare because I trusted them from my satisfaction of Game Booster. So I did a basic clean and it caused no problems, but i heard bad things about it and that there are better ones out there so finally I settled with Auslogic's Registry Cleaner.

So I've done all my cleaning and defragmenting with no problems whatsoever, except one: Whenever I boot up my computer and login to windows it comes up with an error saying that spodbc50.dll is missing. After i click ok on the message, I see no negative effects whatsoever but I am concerned. I see some of my games actually use the .dll seeing from their history logs and that both spybot and Avast! come up with clean scans. I tried google/yahoo but I came up with nothing at all.

I'm not sure whether it is a crucial windows file or a driver for sound, graphics, direct x, or whatever.
So what is it, and should I restore/reinstall it?

rishooty

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Well, i tried restoring it anyway and put it on my desktop and Avast! detected it as a malware. I guess the only reason i see this in the Doom Legacy 1.42's history is because it probably forces itself to load into other .exes. I'm suprised I've had this since november(according to file creation date) with no noticeable damage :eek: . However, i still want to stop the annoying message so i guess i'll try deleting the folder it was originally contained in.

rishooty

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Ahh nvm it didn't work, I'm gonna try malware bytes now i guess. I know i already have gotten rid the actual malware, i just wanna get rid of this annoying startup message.

rishooty

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
I've solved my problem. Apparently it injected the command to launch the .dll into my rundll32.exe, so I used revo uninstaller to just stop the autolaunch process for spodbc50.dll. But thanks anyway for the reccomendation for malware bytes because I do like it as a secondary antivirus.

JessicaD

Distinguished
May 4, 2009

Have you checked your start up items (MSCONFIG) to see what processes / services are running on start up?

You can also run CCleaner to delete all unwanted items entirely from start up.

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team