Shahrazad: do subgame spells count for storm?

Do spells from a subgame (Shahrazad) count for storm in the main game?

I.e. Shahrazad, subgame with 8+ spells, Tendrils, win?

Thanks,
Arno
6 answers Last reply
More about shahrazad subgame spells count storm
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 00:52:56 +0200, Arno Beckmann <arno@gmx.de> wrote:
    >Do spells from a subgame (Shahrazad) count for storm in the main game?

    No. The main game can't see anything that goes on in the subgame, in general;
    the Shahrazad effect brings back info about who won and who didn't, used to
    adjust the life total, and most other stuff is lost. Similarly, spells cast
    earlier in the turn in the MAIN game don't contribute to a Storm spell in
    the subgame at any given subgame turn.

    (Think of Shahrazad, if you want, as "everyone puts their libraries into
    their RFG zones, then performs an incredibly complicated shuffle that reveals
    some cards for certain times, then puts the libraries back into their library
    and shuffles them, and some players then lose life"...)

    >I.e. Shahrazad, subgame with 8+ spells, Tendrils, win?

    Nope. 506.5/a notes that the main game is entirely outside the subgame, and
    that the subgame is in the main game's RFG zone. Storm in the main game doesn't
    trigger off of "spells played inside your RFG zone that stay inside the RFG
    zone instead of going onto the main game's stack"; it has no idea they're
    happening, because they're not where it's looking (maingame stack) in any way.

    Dave
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    "Arno Beckmann" <arno@gmx.de> wrote in message
    > Do spells from a subgame (Shahrazad) count for storm in the main game?
    >
    > I.e. Shahrazad, subgame with 8+ spells, Tendrils, win?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Arno

    No, the subgame's spells have nothing to do with the main game you are
    playing. All of the spells from the subgame resolve before there is a
    winner of that game. The loser(s) of the subgame lose half of his life,
    rounded up. All of the cards from the subgame are shuffled into that
    players libraries, and then the main game is resumed. Other than life (&
    causing each player to shuffle his library), the subgame has no effect on
    the main game. That is assuming you are not playing for ante.

    ~Ryan
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    Griffyn 16 (rlcarper31@mchsi.com) wrote:

    : "Arno Beckmann" <arno@gmx.de> wrote in message
    : news:412BC6C8.B4147003@gmx.de...
    : > Do spells from a subgame (Shahrazad) count for storm in the main game?
    : >
    : > I.e. Shahrazad, subgame with 8+ spells, Tendrils, win?

    : No, the subgame's spells have nothing to do with the main game you are
    : playing. All of the spells from the subgame resolve before there is a
    : winner of that game. The loser(s) of the subgame lose half of his life,
    : rounded up. All of the cards from the subgame are shuffled into that
    : players libraries, and then the main game is resumed. Other than life (&
    : causing each player to shuffle his library), the subgame has no effect on
    : the main game. That is assuming you are not playing for ante.

    However, once back *in* the main game, the Shahrazad itself counts as a
    spell for Storm spells played later that same turn. (and if someone's even
    thinking about playing Storm, how many spells have been played that turn
    before the Shahrazad is something you need to record for after...)

    Keith "one day I'll have to get a Shahrazad; it sounds like so much fun!"
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    Griffyn 16 schrieb:
    > > Do spells from a subgame (Shahrazad) count for storm in the main game?
    > >
    > > I.e. Shahrazad, subgame with 8+ spells, Tendrils, win?
    >
    > No, the subgame's spells have nothing to do with the main game you are
    > playing. All of the spells from the subgame resolve before there is a
    > winner of that game. The loser(s) of the subgame lose half of his life,
    > rounded up. All of the cards from the subgame are shuffled into that
    > players libraries, and then the main game is resumed. Other than life (&
    > causing each player to shuffle his library), the subgame has no effect on
    > the main game. That is assuming you are not playing for ante.

    Sorry for my quick question - but it was not asked to be answered
    with a short "NO" followed by a personal and uncomplete* (=wrong)
    interpretation of what Shahrazad does.

    (* just FYI: the subgame has more effekts on the main game than just
    life loss, i.e. the lib returns shuffled (read the card!) and other
    funny things like RFG'ed or wished cards during the subgame.)

    Shahrazad, Sorcery, WW
    Players play a MAGIC subgame, using their libraries as their decks.
    Each player who doesn't win the subgame loses half his or her life,
    rounded up. After the subgame, players shuffle all subgame cards they
    own into their libraries. Players don't ante a card for the subgame,
    and libraries with less than the required number of cards are legal.

    I don't only want to know IF subgame spells count for storm in the
    main game or not, but also exactly WHY (=because of which rules)
    it works or not.

    Thanks in advance for a clear and usable answer,
    Arno
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    Arno Beckmann, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
    > Griffyn 16 schrieb:
    > > > Do spells from a subgame (Shahrazad) count for storm in the main game?
    > > >
    > > > I.e. Shahrazad, subgame with 8+ spells, Tendrils, win?
    > >
    > > No, the subgame's spells have nothing to do with the main game you are
    > > playing. All of the spells from the subgame resolve before there is a
    > > winner of that game. The loser(s) of the subgame lose half of his life,
    > > rounded up. All of the cards from the subgame are shuffled into that
    > > players libraries, and then the main game is resumed. Other than life (&
    > > causing each player to shuffle his library), the subgame has no effect on
    > > the main game. That is assuming you are not playing for ante.
    >
    > Sorry for my quick question - but it was not asked to be answered
    > with a short "NO" followed by a personal and uncomplete* (=wrong)
    > interpretation of what Shahrazad does.

    You had, by the time you posted that, gotten the same answer from WotC's
    official netrep. The only one looking like a "noob" is you.

    Even if Griffyn had been wrong, insulting people who are trying to help
    you is very poor form in any situation and ESPECIALLY unwelcome here.
    Don't do it again.

    --
    Let's not let this drift into a topic about playing your alignment. I
    have too much to do to be able to properly ridicule and post whore.

    > Griffyn 16 schrieb:
    > > > Do spells from a subgame (Shahrazad) count for storm in the main game?
    > > >
    > > > I.e. Shahrazad, subgame with 8+ spells, Tendrils, win?
    > >
    > > No, the subgame's spells have nothing to do with the main game you are
    > > playing. All of the spells from the subgame resolve before there is a
    > > winner of that game. The loser(s) of the subgame lose half of his life,
    > > rounded up. All of the cards from the subgame are shuffled into that
    > > players libraries, and then the main game is resumed. Other than life
    (&
    > > causing each player to shuffle his library), the subgame has no effect
    on
    > > the main game. That is assuming you are not playing for ante.
    >
    > Sorry for my quick question - but it was not asked to be answered
    > with a short "NO" followed by a personal and uncomplete* (=wrong)
    > interpretation of what Shahrazad does.
    >
    > (* just FYI: the subgame has more effekts on the main game than just
    > life loss, i.e. the lib returns shuffled (read the card!) and other
    > funny things like RFG'ed or wished cards during the subgame.)

    Which is why he *said* the library ends up being shuffled before the
    main game resumes. Read the explanation.

Games Video Games