Settle an argument

I moved here recently and my sisters are playing the card game magic.

I have played and would like to know if people
can play using any cards they want from any set of decks, they pick at
random from old to new cards, they argue over it. Can you tell me
specific area of rules on website to settle argument
Thanks

village cat <villagecat@webtv.net> wrote:

> I moved here recently and my sisters are playing the card game magic.
>
> I have played and would like to know if people
> can play using any cards they want from any set of decks, they pick at
> random from old to new cards, they argue over it. Can you tell me
> specific area of rules on website to settle argument
> Thanks

100.2. In constructed play, each player needs his or her own deck of at
least sixty cards, small items to represent any tokens and counters, and
some way to clearly track life totals. A constructed deck can have any
number of basic land cards and no more than four of any card with a
particular English name other than basic land cards.

100.3. For sealed deck or draft play, only forty cards are required in a
deck, and a player may use as many duplicates of a card as he or she
has. Each player still needs small items to represent any tokens and
counters, and some way to clearly track life totals.

100.4. There is no maximum deck size.

100.5. Most Magic tournaments have special rules (not included here) and
may limit the use of some cards, including barring all cards from some
older sets. See the most current Magic: The Gathering DCI(tm) Floor
Rules for more information. They can be found at
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dci/utr/intro.

--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 00:17:02 -0500, village cat <villagecat@webtv.net> wrote:
>I moved here recently and my sisters are playing the card game magic.
> I have played and would like to know if people
>can play using any cards they want from any set of decks,

Pretty much, yeah. All existing Magic cards are compatible. You may want to
check out Oracle to find out how older cards are currently _worded_, which
can be important in figuring out how they work given today's rules:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dci/oracle

The current rulebook is there too, and also visible at

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=magic/rules/tourneyplayer

>they pick at
>random from old to new cards, they argue over it. Can you tell me
>specific area of rules on website to settle argument

It probably depends on what they're arguing over; you can bring specific
questions here (or even more general questions, but having specific examples
usually Helps A Lot).

Dave

David DeLaney <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:

> All existing Magic cards are compatible.

Of course, a mix of Alpha and non-Alpha cards requires opaque sleeves to
hide the distinctive corners.
--

In <11678-412C20CE-517@storefull-3216.bay.webtv.net> villagecat@webtv.net (village cat) writes:

> I have played and would like to know if people can play using any
> cards they want from any set of decks, they pick at random from
> old to new cards, they argue over it. Can you tell me specific area
> of rules on website to settle argument

It depends on what format you're playing.

If you're playing by tournament rules (which most people do), then
you must abide by the deck construction limits for the tournament
format you've chosen.

For example, Type 2 (or Standard) tournaments allow only cards from
recent sets, while Type 1 tournaments allow almost every card ever
printed. See http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=judge/resources/banned
for a complete list of tournament formats and the allowed/disallowed
cards for each.

If you're not playing by tournament rules, though, then you can use
any cards you wish.

--
John Gordon "Between BST melee, their spells, their warders' melee,
gordon@panix.com and their warders' procs, they put out enough damage

John Gordon wrote:

> In <11678-412C20CE-517@storefull-3216.bay.webtv.net> villagecat@webtv.net
> (village cat) writes:
>
>> I have played and would like to know if people can play using any
>> cards they want from any set of decks, they pick at random from
>> old to new cards, they argue over it. Can you tell me specific area
>> of rules on website to settle argument
>
> It depends on what format you're playing.
>
> If you're playing by tournament rules (which most people do), then
> you must abide by the deck construction limits for the tournament
> format you've chosen.
>
> For example, Type 2 (or Standard) tournaments allow only cards from
> recent sets, while Type 1 tournaments allow almost every card ever
> printed. See http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=judge/resources/banned
> for a complete list of tournament formats and the allowed/disallowed
> cards for each.
>
> If you're not playing by tournament rules, though, then you can use
> any cards you wish.

Note that the "sixty-card minimum, four of any one non-basic-land card
maximum" rule for constructed is now written into the rulebook.
--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

Daniel W. Johnson <panoptes@iquest.net> wrote:
>David DeLaney <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
>> All existing Magic cards are compatible.
>
>Of course, a mix of Alpha and non-Alpha cards requires opaque sleeves to
>hide the distinctive corners.

Yes, but they still wuv each other.

Dave "luckily Magic figured out right at the start that 'different backs' would
be a Bad Bad Thing" DeLaney

PS: And because of that issue, there -are- certain Magic cards which are only
compatible in friendly games: anything that has a different BACK (World
Champion decks, Collector's Edition); anything that has silver or gold borders
rather than black or white (Collector's Edition again, Unglued, World
Champion); and anything that's totally encased in a Lucite block (World
Champion 1996, Shichifukujin Dragon).

Daniel W. Johnson, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
> David DeLaney <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
>
> > All existing Magic cards are compatible.
>
> Of course, a mix of Alpha and non-Alpha cards requires opaque sleeves to
> hide the distinctive corners.

True, but I think Alpha is far enough behind us and hard enough to get
that it's mostly collectors and REALLY long-time players that will have
that problem.

Jeff Heikkinen <oh@s.if> wrote:

> True, but I think Alpha is far enough behind us and hard enough to get
> that it's mostly collectors and REALLY long-time players that will have
> that problem.

I think pointing out the Alpha/non-Alpha mixing rule is a good way to
forestall "What about ...?" mixing questions.