I have a file I want to delet but when I try it says its in use by another
program and I have no Idea how to fix this, or what file is useing it.

It would be best to boot into Safe Mode, search for the file,
then delete it.

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315222&Product=winxp

How to Delete A File That Is Seemingly "Undeletable"
http://www.theeldergeek.com/delete_undeletable_file.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"jrb420" wrote:

| I have a file I want to delet but when I try it says its in use by another
| program and I have no Idea how to fix this, or what file is useing it.

robin

Removing media preview worked for me: http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak2123.aspx

If you have a large movie clip and it either is corrupt (ie. no index from a
partial download) or it uses an unsupported codec, then Explorer tries to
load the whole file. This can slow your computer a lot and prevent
deleting/renaming/moving/etc the file until it's finished.

Simply do the following steps:

1) Open a command window (Start->Run, type in 'cmd' hit enter)
2) To remove image preview, type and hit enter
regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll
3) To readd image preview, type and hit enter
regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
4) To remove media preview, type and hit enter
regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll
5) To readd media preview, type and hit enter
regsvr32 shmedia.dll

Simple.