Inspiron 1000 memory - is it really "not upgradeable" ?

Paul

Splendid

I'm looking at the low end Inspiron 1000 at $579 after rebate -- would be
nice if it could be upped to 512MB in the future -- does anyone know if this
is truly limited to 256MB RAM as Dell says? Did they do something like
not put in an access door for the RAM slot? Maybe they crippled the BIOS
so it won't see more than 256MB?

Also any comments on the hardware platform this notebook is based on --
reliability compared to the Inspiron 1150 for example (which we have been
very happy with)

Thanks.

-- Paul

Configuration page for the Inspiron1000:
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=i1000F2&s=dhs

Under "Help me choose"/Details section of the page, it states that there are 2 slots for the unit, with one slot containing a hardwired/soldered 256MB stick, and an opened slot, that you can add another stick, for the total of 512MB of RAM. So you should be able to upgrade to unit. But you will need to order another stick from a 3rd party vendor such as www.crucial.com , or the parts section from Dell.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"Paul" <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:10t8cj2k5sp7n59@news.supernews.com...
I'm looking at the low end Inspiron 1000 at $579 after rebate -- would be
nice if it could be upped to 512MB in the future -- does anyone know if this
is truly limited to 256MB RAM as Dell says? Did they do something like
not put in an access door for the RAM slot? Maybe they crippled the BIOS
so it won't see more than 256MB?

Also any comments on the hardware platform this notebook is based on --
reliability compared to the Inspiron 1150 for example (which we have been
very happy with)

Thanks.

-- Paul

not sure where you got that... but the standard memory is 256mb (non
removable) and it has one sodimm socket that will take another 256mb module
for a possible system total of 512mb.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1000/en/Y69601LRs.pdf

"Paul" <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking at the low end Inspiron 1000 at $579 after rebate -- would be
> nice if it could be upped to 512MB in the future -- does anyone know if
> this is truly limited to 256MB RAM as Dell says? Did they do something
> like not put in an access door for the RAM slot? Maybe they crippled the
> BIOS so it won't see more than 256MB?
>
> Also any comments on the hardware platform this notebook is based on --
> reliability compared to the Inspiron 1150 for example (which we have been
> very happy with)
>
> Thanks.
>
> -- Paul

Dell says it'll take 512M; it will likely take 1G, but they won't
guarantee it.

Caveats about this machine:

DO NOT take the 90-day warranty. Repair parts are just as expensive as
on better systems - i.e., a new mainboard would still run you $700. If
you don't plan to use it longer than a year, get a year's warranty; if
you have long-term plans for it, get 3 years at minimum.

The base battery is a NiMH unit - short runtime.

The video is integrated into the chipset, which is not Intel (it uses a
SiS chipset). It is basically a 2D-only chipset - forget 3D apps; it's
too slow and it is not upgradeable.

A lot of people on the Dell forums are complaining bitterly about the
low-end Inspiron and Dimension systems as far as performance
(particularly gaming) goes. If that's your intended purpose, look
elsewhere - this is a budget office machine, not a gaming notebook.

You don't get, what you don't pay for.

Paul wrote:
> I'm looking at the low end Inspiron 1000 at $579 after rebate -- would be
> nice if it could be upped to 512MB in the future -- does anyone know if this
> is truly limited to 256MB RAM as Dell says? Did they do something like
> not put in an access door for the RAM slot? Maybe they crippled the BIOS
> so it won't see more than 256MB?
>
> Also any comments on the hardware platform this notebook is based on --
> reliability compared to the Inspiron 1150 for example (which we have been
> very happy with)
>
> Thanks.
>
> -- Paul

I have a Inspiron 1000 and have 512 mb ram in it. That is the max it
will take
with the bios it has. But im sure it would be all you need for this
computer.
This is a simple business computer for internet, word processing and
solitare.
I`ve tried games on it and its too slow!! Its ok for DVD viewing and
such. I got
it with the DVD, CDRW burner works great! But battery time 1.5 hours
tops.