Conjurer's Bauble

{1}
Artifact
{T}, Sacrifice Conjurer's Bauble: Put up to one target card from your
graveyard on the bottom of your library. Draw a card.

-----------------------------

After I activate ~ ability, tapping and sacrificing it, can I then
place that same ~ on the bottom of my library?

Thanks,

Phil

Lophophora <nope@nope.com> writes:
> Conjurer's Bauble
> {1}
> Artifact
> {T}, Sacrifice Conjurer's Bauble: Put up to one target card from your
> graveyard on the bottom of your library. Draw a card.
> -----------------------------
>
> After I activate ~ ability, tapping and sacrificing it, can I then
> place that same ~ on the bottom of my library?

Nope. You choose targets before you pay costs, so at the time that you
would want to declare it as a target, it's not yet in the graveyard.

--
Peter C.
"This document MUST be secured in a locked cabinet to prevent it from

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:59:02 -0400, pete+mtg@cooper.homedns.org (Peter
Cooper Jr.) wrote:

>Lophophora <nope@nope.com> writes:
>> Conjurer's Bauble
>> {1}
>> Artifact
>> {T}, Sacrifice Conjurer's Bauble: Put up to one target card from your
>> graveyard on the bottom of your library. Draw a card.
>> -----------------------------
>>
>> After I activate ~ ability, tapping and sacrificing it, can I then
>> place that same ~ on the bottom of my library?
>
>Nope. You choose targets before you pay costs, so at the time that you
>would want to declare it as a target, it's not yet in the graveyard.

Ok. So let's say I have one Conjurer's Bauble in play, a Conjurer's
Bauble in my graveyard and I have no cards in my library. Can I tap &
sacrifice the Conjurer's Bauble I have in play targeting the
Conjurer's Bauble I have in my graveyard and put that Conjurer's
Bauble on the bottom of my library? Or must I draw the card I put in
my graveyard? Or may I put the "Put up to one target card from your
graveyard on the bottom of your library. Draw a card." abilities on
the stack in any order or must I follow the order in which the card
states?

Thanks!

Lophophora <nope@nope.com> writes:
> pete+mtg@cooper.homedns.org (Peter Cooper Jr.) wrote:
> > Lophophora <nope@nope.com> writes:
> > > Conjurer's Bauble {1} Artifact
> > > {T}, Sacrifice Conjurer's Bauble: Put up to one target card from
> > > your graveyard on the bottom of your library. Draw a card.
> > >
> > > After I activate ~ ability, tapping and sacrificing it, can I
> > > then place that same ~ on the bottom of my library?
> >
> > Nope. You choose targets before you pay costs, so at the time that
> > you would want to declare it as a target, it's not yet in the
> > graveyard.
>
> Ok. So let's say I have one Conjurer's Bauble in play, a Conjurer's
> Bauble in my graveyard and I have no cards in my library. Can I tap
> & sacrifice the Conjurer's Bauble I have in play targeting the
> Conjurer's Bauble I have in my graveyard and put that Conjurer's
> Bauble on the bottom of my library?

Yup.

> Or must I draw the card I put in my graveyard?

I'm not quite sure what you mean here... Immediately after putting the
originally-in-graveyard Bauble on the bottom of your library, you'll
draw it. By that time, the originally-in-play Bauble will be in your
graveyard.

> Or may I put the "Put up to one target card from your graveyard on
> the bottom of your library. Draw a card." abilities on the stack in
> any order or must I follow the order in which the card states?

Individual sentences on a card don't go on the stack or anything. You
follow them in order during the ability's resolution. (Besides, you
wouldn't want to: following them in the other order would cause you to
lose the game since you couldn't draw a card.)

The play-by-play:

- Start with Bauble A in play, Bauble B in graveyard, empty library

- Play Bauble A's ability, targeting Bauble B. As part of this
playing, you select Bauble B as the target, and then pay the cost of
tapping and sacrificing Bauble A. This puts the "Put target card
(Bauble B) from graveyard on bottom of library. Draw a card."
ability on the stack.

- Neither player wants to do anything, so each passes priority.

- That ability resolves. You put Bauble B on the bottom of your
library, and then draw a card. That card happens to be Bauble B, but
only because you started with an empty library.

I hope that clears things up. Please post again if you have any more
questions.

--
Peter C.
"I'm not trying to hack into the system! Or again!"

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:39:24 -0400, pete+mtg@cooper.homedns.org (Peter
Cooper Jr.) wrote:

>Lophophora <nope@nope.com> writes:
>> pete+mtg@cooper.homedns.org (Peter Cooper Jr.) wrote:

>> > Nope. You choose targets before you pay costs, so at the time that
>> > you would want to declare it as a target, it's not yet in the
>> > graveyard.
>>
>> Ok. So let's say I have one Conjurer's Bauble in play, a Conjurer's
>> Bauble in my graveyard and I have no cards in my library. Can I tap
>> & sacrifice the Conjurer's Bauble I have in play targeting the
>> Conjurer's Bauble I have in my graveyard and put that Conjurer's
>> Bauble on the bottom of my library?
>
>Yup.
>
>> Or must I draw the card I put in my graveyard?
>
>I'm not quite sure what you mean here... Immediately after putting the
>originally-in-graveyard Bauble on the bottom of your library, you'll
>draw it. By that time, the originally-in-play Bauble will be in your
>graveyard.
>
>> Or may I put the "Put up to one target card from your graveyard on
>> the bottom of your library. Draw a card." abilities on the stack in
>> any order or must I follow the order in which the card states?
>
>Individual sentences on a card don't go on the stack or anything. You
>follow them in order during the ability's resolution. (Besides, you
>wouldn't want to: following them in the other order would cause you to
>lose the game since you couldn't draw a card.)
>
>The play-by-play:
>
>- Start with Bauble A in play, Bauble B in graveyard, empty library
>
>- Play Bauble A's ability, targeting Bauble B. As part of this
> playing, you select Bauble B as the target, and then pay the cost of
> tapping and sacrificing Bauble A. This puts the "Put target card
> (Bauble B) from graveyard on bottom of library. Draw a card."
> ability on the stack.
>
>- Neither player wants to do anything, so each passes priority.
>
>- That ability resolves. You put Bauble B on the bottom of your
> library, and then draw a card. That card happens to be Bauble B, but
> only because you started with an empty library.
>
>I hope that clears things up. Please post again if you have any more
>questions.

I originally thought that this would be a nice, cheap way to keep my
Leveler in play without decking.

Thanks,

Phil

Lophophora wrote:

> Conjurer's Bauble
> {1}
> Artifact
> {T}, Sacrifice Conjurer's Bauble: Put up to one target card from your
> graveyard on the bottom of your library. Draw a card.
>
> -----------------------------
>
> After I activate ~ ability, tapping and sacrificing it, can I then
> place that same ~ on the bottom of my library?

No, because you choose targets before you pay costs. Therefore, when
you choose your target card, the Bauble is not yet in the graveyard
and thus not a legal target.
--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 12:44:09 -0500, Lophophora <nope@nope.com> wrote:
>Conjurer's Bauble 1 Artifact
> Tap,Sacrifice ~: Put up to one target card from your graveyard on the bottom
> of your library. Draw a card.

>After I activate ~ ability, tapping and sacrificing it, can I then
>place that same ~ on the bottom of my library?

Nope. Because you can't possibly have _chosen it as the target of the ability_.
Targets are chosen BEFORE costs are paid; the Bauble is still in play at the
time you pick the Bauble's ability's target. (And there's currently no way to
change the target of this ability, in any way.)

Dave

Lophophora <nope@nope.com> wrote:
>Ok. So let's say I have one Conjurer's Bauble in play, a Conjurer's
>Bauble in my graveyard and I have no cards in my library.

Then sure, you can put the Bauble that's _already_ in the graveyard on the
bottom of your library, using the ability of the Bauble that's in play. And
since your library was empty, this is also the top of your library, so it's
the next card you'll draw... which happens to be immediately, since the
Bauble ability also makes you draw a card.

>Can I tap &
>Conjurer's Bauble I have in my graveyard and put that Conjurer's
>Bauble on the bottom of my library?

Yes.

> Or must I draw the card I put in my graveyard?

No; there's no way to arrange that, as you CAN'T pick that Bauble as the target
of its own ability, so have no way to get it into your library (using only the
cards mentioned) in time to draw it as the card drawn for that ability.

> Or may I put the "Put up to one target card from your
>graveyard on the bottom of your library. Draw a card." abilities on
>the stack

"Abilities"? This is ONE ability. It does a couple of things, in order; it's
one ability, and goes on the stack as the very first part of announcing it.

>or must I follow the order in which the card states?

When this ability resolves, you process its effects in the order written on the
card. (First check that the target is legal, before the ability can even begin
to resolve.) Put the chosen target card from your graveyard on the bottom of
your library. Then draw a card.

(There is no "may" in the ability text; nothing done on resolution is optional.
You can choose on ANNOUNCEMENT to have no targets; if you do, then there is
no check on resolution for target legality, AND you can't put anything on the
bottom of your library, but you still draw the card.)

Dave