Sign in with
Your question

Windows crashes at startup

Last response: in Windows 7
June 15, 2010 1:26:19 AM

Hello,

I've just built a new system and it goes from bad to worst. I'll start by telling what my system is:

I7 930 2.8,
MOBO : asus p6x58d-e
Ram corsair triple channel 6gigs
western digital black 1000gigs sata 3
asus EAH5770 1 gigs ddr5
sb audigy zs2
power supply: zalman 650 watts

I am running on window 7 professionnal.

At first, my system worked very well, but once in a while, it would crashes (blue screen) while gamming,
i upped drivers, it stoped.

Then, my problem is that my computer would randomly reboot on idle, but only while idle. I decided to upgrade my bios, my chipset. it didnt do it.

Then i tried upping the drivers from my mobo integrated soundcard. From then, windows will crash right after startup. I tried disabling the sound card from the bios, it wont do it.

Something's strange: when i boot, my system says : overclocking failed... please enter setup to reconfigure your system or press f2 to load setup default. still, with default setup, window crashes at startup.

The funny fact is that i never tried overclocking the computer... !!

Anyone can help? Thanks alot !
Eric
a c 215 $ Windows 7
June 15, 2010 3:11:44 AM

So you attempted a BIOS flash, but it reverted back? I don't quite understand what you meant by "I decided to upgrade my bios, my chipset. it didnt do it." Can you confirm? If you aren't on BIOS version 0303, try the flash again, as the changelog indicates there are some system stability improvements included, along with better memory compatibility.

I've seen the overclocking failed message on Asus motherboards I have had in the past that weren't overclocked, and they ran perfectly fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

Have you tried setting the ram voltage and timings to fixed values in the BIOS, rather than letting it auto detect the settings via SPD?
m
l
June 15, 2010 4:23:12 AM

Also, i didn't try to set the ram voltage and timings to fixed values in the BIOS. I don't think i have the knowledge to set manual value, i mean that i wouldn't know what value to set :\
m
l
Related resources
June 15, 2010 4:25:50 AM

Hey, sorry about that misunderstanding. I'm not a english speaking, obviously ^^. Plus my probleme is kinda complicated.

Okay, so here's the deal.

The main problem that i was trying to fix is that my comp would randomly restart when idling (after like, 15 mins). + i would get randomly blue screen, sometimes while gaming, sometimes while watching a video. (this sound like the graphic card)

I order to try and correct that, i updated the bios version, from the asus site, im now on the 0303 version, like u mentioned. It didnt stop the random restarts... So, what i did is that i try to upgrade everything from the asus web site. First the chipset, nothing changed. Then i downloaded the audio update : Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.6037 for Windows 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit 7.(WHQL). Thats when my computer would reboot everytime right after the windows startup. My computer sure didnt like that upgrade, so i did a restoration of windows from before i do that specific update. I'm not able to start window, in fact im writing from my computer right now.

So i guess my problem has changed a bit. I need to try and fix those blue screens and random restarts. As i just restored my system, im not sure whats gonna happen when it will idle. I will try it and the post the results. But still, i wouldnt see why it would have changed anything

Another thing im going to try is removing my old sound card SB audigy ZS2 and use only the motherboard integrated sound card. I used to disable that MOBO integrated sound from the bios and i still had those reboots.

Another possible problem is that im using ATI's drivers for my videocard, but the card is actually Asus. This is because i had problem with the asus drivers...

I don't know what to think right now ;) . Will post results of all that...
Can u think of something that might cause the restarts?

Thanks for answering in first place m8 !
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
June 15, 2010 4:28:13 AM

If you can find the model number of your ram sticks (should be on the box if you still have it), I can tell you what values to set.

As far as the blue screens themselves go, you may want to download and burn a copy of MemTest86+ and test your ram overnight. Immediate blue screens like you are describing are most likely caused by either faulty RAM, or bad drivers.

Have you tried starting the system in Safe Mode to see if it blue screens there?
m
l
June 15, 2010 4:37:51 AM

I have tried memtest86+ for about 40 minutes, no errors occured. I will test it overnight as u suggest.

If there are no errors, is it still usefull to set the values of the ram memory manually? Could this solve anything?

I'm thinkg about trying to install asus divers for my graphic cards, but i'm also reading, at the moment, comments from users who also had problems with those drivers for the EAH 5770 (The asus drivers, i mean) ...

What do you think about removing the sound card?

The funny thing is that, when im using the computer, and it's not idling, it will never reboot. I though about preventing it from going into 'sleep mode', still reboot.

I am not sure if the blue screens and the random restarts are caused from the same thing.
I am not of much help, am i?
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
June 15, 2010 4:43:53 AM

Yes, the ram timings can actually solve a lot. If the timings are too low (too fast) the ram can destabilize the entire system and cause anything from a minor application crash, to random (but consistent) blue screens.

Regarding video drivers, I NEVER EVER use the drivers from a card reseller like Asus. If I download video drivers, I always do so from AMD or Nvidia, depending on which card I have.

Given the circumstances, I think removing the sound card might be a good idea.
m
l
June 15, 2010 5:02:38 AM

Alright,

I will try removing the sound card, and i will try to find the proper value to set (i don't think i still have the boxes but I can probably find the information on the corsair's web page.

By the way, i just tested trying to let my computer idle, and it rebooted after about 20 minutes, not when the screen when in idle, but when the HD did, i guess.
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
June 15, 2010 5:13:38 AM

Interesting....

What you may want to try first is stripping the machine down to the basics. Leave in the video card (unless you have an integrated video chip as well), one stick of ram, and the hard drive you need to boot from. Turn the system on and repeat the same process you've been going through thus far to let the system blue screen. If it doesn't, start adding components back in, one at a time, until it starts bluescreening again.
m
l
June 15, 2010 5:16:08 AM

It doesn't blue screen for now tho,

It just reboots...

But thats a good idea, 'still i don't see how my soundcard can cause it to reboot when idling... or any hardware either.
m
l
!