Windows Compatibility and an old DOS program

Mike

Splendid

I have an old DOS program called astro.exe. I've had it for about 10
years or so. I used in DOS, Win9x, and I believe I had it working in
Win2k.

Anyway, now when I try to run the program, I get this error:

(0) Unrecoverable error 669: Eval stack fault
run-time error R6001
- null pointer assignment

I have never run across this before. I tried running it on my Win2k
machine and I get the same fault. I try it on WinXP Home and get the
same thing. I've changed a couple setting in the XP compatibility mode
with the same results. I would almost say 100% that I've run it in W2k
since thats all I had a the time when I added some info. I have SP2
installed for WinXP and SP4 for Win2000.

The reason behind all this work is that I have information created by this
program that I need to access. There is no update to the program so that is
out of the question. Getting a newer program won't help me get the old
data. Unless I can get it to work, I will have to build a DOS box.

I have given myself a headache searching the Net trying to get the info
myself. Although I've learned a few other things :) , this answer
eludes me. I hope someone can help me get this program to work again in
Win2000 or maybe get it work in XP.

Thanks....

Cheers,
Mike

Mike, type Getting older Dos programs to work in WinXP in Google.
"Mike" <stretch0069@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an old DOS program called astro.exe. I've had it for about 10
> years or so. I used in DOS, Win9x, and I believe I had it working in
> Win2k.
>
> Anyway, now when I try to run the program, I get this error:
>
> (0) Unrecoverable error 669: Eval stack fault
> run-time error R6001
> - null pointer assignment
>
> I have never run across this before. I tried running it on my Win2k
> machine and I get the same fault. I try it on WinXP Home and get the
> same thing. I've changed a couple setting in the XP compatibility mode
> with the same results. I would almost say 100% that I've run it in W2k
> since thats all I had a the time when I added some info. I have SP2
> installed for WinXP and SP4 for Win2000.
>
> The reason behind all this work is that I have information created by this
> program that I need to access. There is no update to the program so that
> is
> out of the question. Getting a newer program won't help me get the old
> data. Unless I can get it to work, I will have to build a DOS box.
>
> I have given myself a headache searching the Net trying to get the info
> myself. Although I've learned a few other things :) , this answer
> eludes me. I hope someone can help me get this program to work again in
> Win2000 or maybe get it work in XP.
>

> Thanks....
>
> Cheers,
> Mike

Mike

Splendid

Thanks for the info Barry. I guess I wasn't typing in the right words. :D
Oh well. I hooked up with DOSBox. The program will run, but there still
seems to be some goofiness with the program. I would work on it further,
but I (by chance) got my hands on an old Pentium machine. SO I just might
put MSDOS6 on it if I can find a place to buy it. Hey...you can never have
enough computers. :D:D

Thanks again.