Goblin Medic and Price of Progress

peter

Two questions. First:
***
Goblin Medics {2R}
Creature -- Goblin 1/1
Urza's Legacy Common
- Whenever Goblin Medics becomes tapped, it deals 1 damage to target
creature or player.
***
I want to make sure I'm reading this correctly. I can't tap this any
time I want, correct? It only does the damage if it becomes tapped,
for example by attacking, getting regenerated or through the result of
someone else's spell or ability? Right?

***
Price of Progress {1R}
Instant
Exodus Uncommon
- Price of Progress deals 2 damage to each player for each nonbasic
land he or she controls.
***
Under which conditions would a player take 2 damage:
- Snow-Covered Swamp in play
- Volcanic Island in play
- Volcanic Island in play with a Blood Moon.
- Great Furnace in play with a Blood Moon.
- Treetop Village in play and animated with a Blood Moon

I think the Swamp is okay, but they take damage from the remaining
four.

By the way, just to be sure, what are the types of the following lands
with a Blood Moon in play:
- Snow-Covered Swamp: Basic Land - Mountain (and it's still
Snow-Covered)
- Volcanic Island: Land - Mountain
- Great Furnace: Artifact Land - Mountain
- animated Treetop Village: Land Creature - Mountain

Is this right?
Peter

***
Blood Moon {2R}
Enchantment
The Dark Rare
- Nonbasic lands are Mountains.
***
Volcanic Island
Land -- Island Mountain
A/B/U Rare
***
Great Furnace
Artifact Land
Mirrodin Common
- (Great Furnace isn't a spell.)
- {T}: Add {R} to your mana pool.
***
Treetop Village
Land
Urza's Legacy Uncommon
- Treetop Village comes into play tapped.
- {T}: Add {G} to your mana pool.
- {1}{G}: Treetop Village becomes a 3/3 green creature with trample
until end of turn. It's still a land.
***

knucklehead000@yahoo.com (Peter) writes:
> Two questions. First:
> ***
> Goblin Medics {2R}
> Creature -- Goblin 1/1
> Urza's Legacy Common
> - Whenever Goblin Medics becomes tapped, it deals 1 damage to target
> creature or player.
> ***
> I want to make sure I'm reading this correctly. I can't tap this any
> time I want, correct?

Correct. It's not an activated ability, it just does something when it
gets tapped.

> It only does the damage if it becomes tapped, for example by
> attacking,

That would work of course.

> getting regenerated

Assuming you mean "having a regeneration shield active and it would be
destroyed" and not "playing a regeneration ability", yes.

> or through the result of someone else's spell or ability?

Well, anyone's spell or ability, as long as it taps it.

> ***
> Price of Progress {1R}
> Instant
> Exodus Uncommon
> - Price of Progress deals 2 damage to each player for each nonbasic
> land he or she controls.
> ***
> Under which conditions would a player take 2 damage:
> - Snow-Covered Swamp in play
> - Volcanic Island in play
> - Volcanic Island in play with a Blood Moon.
> - Great Furnace in play with a Blood Moon.
> - Treetop Village in play and animated with a Blood Moon
>
> I think the Swamp is okay, but they take damage from the remaining
> four.

That is correct.

> By the way, just to be sure, what are the types of the following lands
> with a Blood Moon in play:
> - Snow-Covered Swamp: Basic Land - Mountain (and it's still
> Snow-Covered)
> - Volcanic Island: Land - Mountain
> - Great Furnace: Artifact Land - Mountain
> - animated Treetop Village: Land Creature - Mountain
>
> Is this right?

Yes, those are all correct. Blood Moon doesn't change Basic-ness (and
I don't think anything else does either).

--
Peter C.
"In fact, I'll go cancel some email right now."

Peter Cooper Jr. <pete+mtg@cooper.homedns.org> wrote:

> knucklehead000@yahoo.com (Peter) writes:
> > By the way, just to be sure, what are the types of the following lands
> > with a Blood Moon in play:
> > - Snow-Covered Swamp: Basic Land - Mountain (and it's still
> > Snow-Covered)
> > - Volcanic Island: Land - Mountain
> > - Great Furnace: Artifact Land - Mountain
> > - animated Treetop Village: Land Creature - Mountain
> >
> > Is this right?
>
> Yes, those are all correct. Blood Moon doesn't change Basic-ness (and
> I don't think anything else does either).

Except for the Snow-Covered Swamp. Blood Moon would have absolutely no
effect on it.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

panoptes@iquest.net (Daniel W. Johnson) writes:
> Peter Cooper Jr. <pete+mtg@cooper.homedns.org> wrote:
> > knucklehead000@yahoo.com (Peter) writes:
> > > By the way, just to be sure, what are the types of the following
> > > lands with a Blood Moon in play:
> > > - Snow-Covered Swamp: Basic Land - Mountain (and it's still
> > > Snow-Covered)
> >
> > Yes, those are all correct.
>
> Except for the Snow-Covered Swamp. Blood Moon would have absolutely no
> effect on it.

Uh, right. I guess I was answering a little too quickly there.

--
Peter C.
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not