Mike

Splendid

how do I run chkdsk?

I found the Microsoft document page but all it says on
how to run chkdsk is that you must be a member of the
administrator group.

What's that, it's my machine?

Hi Mike,

1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk drive
that you want to check.
2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now.
4. Click Start.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

mike wrote:
> how do I run chkdsk?
>
> I found the Microsoft document page but all it says on
> how to run chkdsk is that you must be a member of the
> administrator group.
>
> What's that, it's my machine?

Mike

Splendid

That worked great but sure took a while with an 80 G hard
drive.

Thanks

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> how do I run chkdsk?
>
> I found the Microsoft document page but all it says on
> how to run chkdsk is that you must be a member of the
> administrator group.
>
> What's that, it's my machine?

If it is your machine, then you should be the administrator. Click start,
then open HElp and Support, and type in search CHKDSK, click on the
suggestes topic links, and see the commands that make it work for different
purposes.

There are two methods to run CHKDSK. Do: MyComputer>Rt click
drive>properties>tools>select check now - at this point there are two
options -1. Automatically fix.... and 2. Scan for....- if you do not check
either- selecting "Start" runs CHKDSK immediately - selecting the options
(Auto fix....\Scan for...) results in a message that CHKDSK will run next
time computer is booted.
Big difference in selection - running CHKDSK immediately gives no
indication of results and does not correct errors.
Running CHKDSK at boot-up presents findings and results and corrections.

AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
Myers, FL