dick

trying to install KB842773 update. initializing installation: done, but
the update does not install. Just sits there with the installing window
blank (have waited as long as 3 hours, nothing..... I am running winxp
home ed, sp1 with most sp2 updates installed, this should be only one left
b4 sp2... also have problem installing new HP 4215 ALL IN ONE PRINTER.
hangs up on file hpquish09.dat and will NOT complete install even after 24
hours...... i got no help from microsoft.. i even loaded newest
msiexec.exe 3.0 thinking that would help. still will not install...
help!!!!

You cannot install some updates or programs: Go to: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822798&Product=winxp

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"dick" <usprime@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:u5UfAopIFHA.2276@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> trying to install KB842773 update. initializing installation: done, but the update does not install. Just sits there with the
> installing window blank (have waited as long as 3 hours, nothing..... I am running winxp home ed, sp1 with most sp2 updates
> installed, this should be only one left b4 sp2... also have problem installing new HP 4215 ALL IN ONE PRINTER. hangs up on file
> hpquish09.dat and will NOT complete install even after 24 hours...... i got no help from microsoft.. i even loaded newest
> msiexec.exe 3.0 thinking that would help. still will not install... help!!!!

thank you for your help I tried the following method and everything loaded
ok, even the complete sp2 and the hp4215 printer...

Method 3: Rename the Catroot2 folder
Rename the Catroot2 folder (Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 only), and
then try to install the program again.

Note Skip this method if your operating system is Windows 2000.

To rename the Catroot2 folder, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then
click Run.
2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
3. At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after
each line:
net stop cryptsvc
ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2
net start cryptsvc
exit
Important Do not rename the Catroot folder. The Catroot2 folder is
automatically recreated by Windows, but the Catroot folder is not recreated
if it is renamed.

thanks again
dick johnson

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> You cannot install some updates or programs: Go to: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822798&Product=winxp
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> ..
> "dick" <usprime@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:u5UfAopIFHA.2276@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > trying to install KB842773 update. initializing installation: done, but the update does not install. Just sits there with the
> > installing window blank (have waited as long as 3 hours, nothing..... I am running winxp home ed, sp1 with most sp2 updates
> > installed, this should be only one left b4 sp2... also have problem installing new HP 4215 ALL IN ONE PRINTER. hangs up on file
> > hpquish09.dat and will NOT complete install even after 24 hours...... i got no help from microsoft.. i even loaded newest
> > msiexec.exe 3.0 thinking that would help. still will not install... help!!!!

TRENDING THREADS