My son allowed the pc, intel pentium 3 to automatically perform updates. It
is a Windows XP Home Edition operating system. Since performing these
updates, the pc will boot, show you the XP loading window, but not the
account window. It is not locked because the cursor still moves when you move
the mouse. Just a black screen.
Any thoughts.

On next startup tap F8 repeatedly until you get a Menu. If a Menu shows
up then choose Safe Mode. If you get into safe
mode then go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System
Restore. Try a restore back to before this
happened. If none of this works go here and try a Repair Install. You
need a WinXP Home CD for this