Darksteel Reactor

Hi there.

I have a combo I'm hoping to spring on a friend some time soon, and
just wanted to verify it works as I think it does.

Let's say I have a Darksteel Reactor:

Darksteel Reactor
{4}
Artifact
Darksteel Reactor is indestructible. ("Destroy" effects and lethal
damage don't destroy it.)
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put a charge counter on
Darksteel Reactor.
When Darksteel Reactor has twenty or more charge counters on it, you
win the game.

Now let's say it has, oh, 10 charge counters on it.

Can I play Dismantle on it:

Dismantle
{2}{R}
Sorcery
Destroy target artifact. If that artifact had counters on it, put that
many +1/+1 counters or charge counters on an artifact you control.

and thus win the game?

Cheers,

Matt Chaplain.

On 9 Sep 2004 02:26:00 -0700, Matt Chaplain <nospam@kastagaar.com> wrote:
>I have a combo I'm hoping to spring on a friend some time soon, and
>just wanted to verify it works as I think it does.
>
>Let's say I have a Darksteel Reactor:
>
>Darksteel Reactor 4 Artifact
> ~ is indestructible. (*) / At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put a
> charge counter on ~. / When ~ has twenty or more charge counters on it, you
> win the game.
>
>Now let's say it has, oh, 10 charge counters on it.
>
>Can I play Dismantle on it:

choose it as the artifact to put the new counters on, and win? Yes.

>Dismantle 2R Sorcery
> Destroy target artifact. If that artifact had counters on it, put that many
> +1/+1 counters or charge counters on an artifact you control.
>and thus win the game?

Yes. Dismantle doesn't say "If you destroyed that artifact and it had counters
on it, ..."; it destroys, then puts counters regardless of whether it
destroyed. [If its TARGET is illegal, it gets countered, so has no effect at
all; that's different.]

Dave

dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney) wrote in message news:<slrnck09qu.hin.dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com>...
> On 9 Sep 2004 02:26:00 -0700, Matt Chaplain <nospam@kastagaar.com> wrote:
> >I have a combo I'm hoping to spring on a friend some time soon, and
> >just wanted to verify it works as I think it does.
> >
> >Let's say I have a Darksteel Reactor:

[snip]

> >Now let's say it has, oh, 10 charge counters on it.
> >
> >Can I play Dismantle on it:
>
> choose it as the artifact to put the new counters on, and win? Yes.

That's what I thought. Thanks!

Matt Chaplain.

wait a second something there confuses me
if you cannot destroy an indestructible artifact then how is it that the
"destroy" part gets off? I dont understand how that works. Unless the
spell just goes off as it normally would and the game wouldnt care if it's
destroyed or not, and just retargets itself or something. I was just
curious how that works

Mike Rana <mjr2k@verizon.net> wrote:

> wait a second something there confuses me
> if you cannot destroy an indestructible artifact then how is it that the
> "destroy" part gets off?

It's ignored.

> I dont understand how that works. Unless the
> spell just goes off as it normally would and the game wouldnt care if it's
> destroyed or not, and just retargets itself or something.

I see nothing on Darksteel Reactor or Dismantle about retargetting. And
Dismantle says "Destroy target artifact," not "Destroy target artifact
that can be destroyed."

> I was just
> curious how that works

103.3. If an instruction requires taking an impossible action, it's
ignored. (In many cases the card will specify consequences for this; if
it doesn't, there's no effect.)
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 00:13:57 GMT, Mike Rana <mjr2k@verizon.net> wrote:
>wait a second something there confuses me
>if you cannot destroy an indestructible artifact then how is it that the
>"destroy" part gets off?

Dismantle says "Destroy this"; "this" says "I can't be destroyed" and Dismantle
says "well, okay then, put some counters on an artifact".

> I dont understand how that works. Unless the
>spell just goes off as it normally would and the game wouldnt care if it's
>destroyed or not, and just retargets itself or something. I was just
>curious how that works

Dismantle doesn't say "Destroy target artifact. +If you do+ and that artifact
had countgers on it, put...". It has one target; if the target is legal - is
an artifact - it resolves, and does as much of its effect as it can.

Dave

the way you reword it makes sense.... i didnt think the reactor could be a
target. oh well shows you what i know about indestructible stuff
"David DeLaney" <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 00:13:57 GMT, Mike Rana <mjr2k@verizon.net> wrote:
>>wait a second something there confuses me
>>if you cannot destroy an indestructible artifact then how is it that the
>>"destroy" part gets off?
>
> Dismantle says "Destroy this"; "this" says "I can't be destroyed" and
> Dismantle
> says "well, okay then, put some counters on an artifact".
>
>> I dont understand how that works. Unless the
>>spell just goes off as it normally would and the game wouldnt care if it's
>>destroyed or not, and just retargets itself or something. I was just
>>curious how that works
>
> Dismantle doesn't say "Destroy target artifact. +If you do+ and that
> artifact
> had countgers on it, put...". It has one target; if the target is legal -
> is
> an artifact - it resolves, and does as much of its effect as it can.
>
> Dave
> --
> \/David DeLaney posting from dbd@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the
> flower
> It's not the clock that slows the hour The definition's plain for anyone
> to see
> Love is all it takes to make a family" - R&P. VISUALIZE HAPPYNET
> VRbeable<BLINK>
> http://www.vic.com/~dbd/ - net.legends FAQ & Magic / I WUV you in all
> CAPS! --K.

TRENDING THREADS