Sign in with
Your question

New laptop: High requirements, price basically irrelevant

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
February 15, 2012 12:08:13 PM

Hey there!

I'm looking for a new laptop for my boss. He's given me some requirements that he wants, and other than that he just wants something lightning fast. Price wise, 3000 dollars is the maximum I'd say.

I've been looking around myself, but I can't really seem to find the perfect fit.. there's always a compromise of some sort, so that's why I'm asking you guys, just to make sure I haven't missed anything.

The requirements:

It can't be a mac

4ish kilogram is the max

17.0-17.3 inch screen

HDMI output

That's the basic requirements he has. Other than that, it gotta be fast, so I figured either an i5 or i7, and perhaps an SSD or one of those hybrid drives?

I'd love your input, thanks :) 
February 16, 2012 12:23:49 PM

That is a nice feature they got there, but it kind of has to be a retail laptop, since we live in Denmark.
Related resources
a b D Laptop
February 16, 2012 2:33:52 PM

and what makes a boutique computer vendor a non-retailer? Sager is high end gaming laptop brand, but they are the most conservative on their designs, as opposed to say Alienware or Toshiba.

One thing that might drive your decision, if you boss plans to use the touchpad a lot (traveling/no table/etc), then the finish on the Sager is really not that great on the touchpad.

Take a look at dell business laptops, they have nice build quality and you'll be able to browse what's available in your country + get good warranty plan with local service centers in case something happens (not that it will).

Spec wise, I think, you got a good idea i7 + SSD should give him the best speed out there.

something like this:
http://www.dell.com/us/soho/p/precision-m6600/pd
widely used in our office, no complaints
a b D Laptop
February 16, 2012 3:12:47 PM

A $3000 price limit is not irrelevant for a laptop. I have a friend who has a $9000 Alienware laptop.
a b D Laptop
February 16, 2012 7:51:00 PM

ram1009 said:
A $3000 price limit is not irrelevant for a laptop. I have a friend who has a $9000 Alienware laptop.

you got some rich friends, make sure to milk him for all he's worth ;) 
!