I recently reformatted my computer and now the sound doesn't work. I don't
know what sound card I use. I haven't added anything new (meaning that I am
using whatever was in the computer when I bought it). I've tried to reinstal
the sound card via the control panel, but I get a message that says that
nothing is detected. In the device manager, there is a audio thing with a
yellow question mark by it, but again I am just told that nothing can be
found and asked to insert an install disk. I have tried inserting the windows
xp recovery disk (the only one I got with my computer) but this isn't
working.

I've had this computer for about a year and a half and reformatted once
before without any problems. Thanks in advance for help :)

"M." <M.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently reformatted my computer and now the sound doesn't work. I don't
> know what sound card I use. I haven't added anything new (meaning that I
> am
> using whatever was in the computer when I bought it). I've tried to
> reinstal
> the sound card via the control panel, but I get a message that says that
> nothing is detected. In the device manager, there is a audio thing with a
> yellow question mark by it, but again I am just told that nothing can be
> found and asked to insert an install disk. I have tried inserting the
> windows
> xp recovery disk (the only one I got with my computer) but this isn't
> working.
>
> I've had this computer for about a year and a half and reformatted once
> before without any problems. Thanks in advance for help :)

You need to find what type of soundcard it is and then visit the
manufacturer's web site for drivers. If it is a built-in sound card try
going to the computer manufacturer web site and locate your system and
download the drivers to install.

--
William

Go here and get Belarc Advisor www.belarc.com it will tell you what
card or audio chip you have. If you have a Via
chipset try here. http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2

"Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Go here and get Belarc Advisor www.belarc.com it will tell you what
> card or audio chip you have. If you have a Via
> chipset try here. http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2

Only works if the soundcard is known. If it listed as unknown in the Device
Manger, then this will not work.

--
William