The" Encrypt contents to secure data" function is not avai..

aki

Hi

As the subject, when I go to the Properties->General->Advanced of a folder
or a file, the function to encrypt data is greyed out, so it is not
available for me to choose. I've check the Help and Support in the Start
menu, it just won't help. Instead, it talks about the same problem in
Windows 2000. And the two situations it says which cause the problem are
not on my computer. Home edition doesn't have the function to set Local
Security and Permission on each folder and files. What can I do to fix this
problem?

Thanks for help

Aki

Hi Aki,

Unfortunately, Help and Support in the Start menu does not make mention of
the fact that the Encrypting File System feature is not included in Home
Edition. You will have to use a third-party encryption application.

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Aki" <aki_mcse@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> As the subject, when I go to the Properties->General->Advanced of a folder
> or a file, the function to encrypt data is greyed out, so it is not
> available for me to choose. I've check the Help and Support in the Start
> menu, it just won't help. Instead, it talks about the same problem in
> Windows 2000. And the two situations it says which cause the problem are
> not on my computer. Home edition doesn't have the function to set Local
> Security and Permission on each folder and files. What can I do to fix
this
> problem?
>
> Thanks for help
>
> Aki

If you wish to use MS file encryption, you need to upgrade to XP Pro, Home
has been disabled. Also, before using any file encryption software, be sure
to read and follow the instructions for backup of the encryption
certificates, if not, you may end up with a bunch of files that occupy disk
space, all you'll be able to do is delete them, as without the encryption
certificate(s), the files can not be decrypted - and most encryption
software packages (at least the MS one) does not have a back door.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
"Google is your Friend!"