black ink problem with dell 920 all in one printer

Jd

happy new year all! have a dell 920 all in one printer that won't print
or copy with the black ink cartridge. page just comes out blank. if
there is any color on the page it prints it in color, but skips
anything black. i actually have two 920's and swapped the black ink
cartridge in one for the other and got the same results. uninstalled
and reinstalled the printer driver/software, but to no avail. put the
color cartridge in the black ink slot in the printer itself and it
printed in color. tweaked out, of course(hope i didn't harm anything)
but still, ink did come out in a uniform manner. so why won't my
printer print/copy with the black ink cartridge? i have checked and
rechecked all settings and adjustments and everything seems on the up
and up. and as i said above, i've tried two black ink cartridges(they
both work in one of my 920's)and neither work in the printer i'm having
problems with. i would assume printer/hardware defect if the
problematic 920 was used very much. but it has hardly been used at all.
and as i said, the color cartridge prints when inserted in the slot
reserved for the black ink cartridge. any input would be greatly
appreciated. thanks ahead of time.

JD,

I like your troubleshooting to this point. From scanning your post, it
would appear that the one 920 is malfunctioning. Warranty?

Stew

"jd" <sickboy2all@aol.com> wrote in message
> happy new year all! have a dell 920 all in one printer that won't print
> or copy with the black ink cartridge. page just comes out blank. if
> there is any color on the page it prints it in color, but skips
> anything black. i actually have two 920's and swapped the black ink
> cartridge in one for the other and got the same results. uninstalled
> and reinstalled the printer driver/software, but to no avail. put the
> color cartridge in the black ink slot in the printer itself and it
> printed in color. tweaked out, of course(hope i didn't harm anything)
> but still, ink did come out in a uniform manner. so why won't my
> printer print/copy with the black ink cartridge? i have checked and
> rechecked all settings and adjustments and everything seems on the up
> and up. and as i said above, i've tried two black ink cartridges(they
> both work in one of my 920's)and neither work in the printer i'm having
> problems with. i would assume printer/hardware defect if the
> problematic 920 was used very much. but it has hardly been used at all.
> and as i said, the color cartridge prints when inserted in the slot
> reserved for the black ink cartridge. any input would be greatly
> appreciated. thanks ahead of time.

Jd

interesting, tom j. but like i said in my initial post, both ink
cartridges are working with one of my printers. and the ink level
monitor shows nearly full cartridges. plus your assuming i'm using the
cartridges that came with my printers, which i am not. any other ideas
would be welcome.

"jd" <sickboy2all@aol.com> wrote in message
> happy new year all! have a dell 920 all in one printer that won't print
> or copy with the black ink cartridge. page just comes out blank.

The ink cartridges that came with that printer will only print a few pages.
Order new cartridges and solve your problem. Or buy a 922 on sale and they
come with ink to print ??? pages. I put in the question marks because I have
now printed over 1000 sheets and the popup window says it has 800+ to go.
We'll see!!
Tom J
who ordered replacement cartridges when the printer was ordered

> interesting, tom j. but like i said in my initial post, both ink
> cartridges are working with one of my printers. and the ink level
> monitor shows nearly full cartridges. plus your assuming i'm using the
> cartridges that came with my printers, which i am not. any other ideas
> would be welcome.

I did not understand that the cartridge would work in the other printer, but
after reading your post again, I see you said that.

I guess you have turned off the printer and the computer both, disconnected
the printer from the computer, restarted the computer, THEN connected the
printer to the computer & turn it on. This sometimes works when a printer
"gets confused".

Tom J

Jd

unfortunately i have gone through the above routine. but i shall do so
again. i'll post up and let you know how it turned out. : )

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Not sure from your post how many PCs you have but when you swap out the
cartidges do you swap out the printers on the same PC, ie. working printer
onto the pc that has the malfunctioning printer, if the working one now does
the same then its a setting problem

"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:

>"jd" <sickboy2all@aol.com> wrote

>> unfortunately i have gone through the above routine. but i shall do so
>> again. i'll post up and let you know how it turned out. : )

>Not sure from your post how many PCs you have but when you swap out the
>cartidges do you swap out the printers on the same PC, ie. working printer
>onto the pc that has the malfunctioning printer, if the working one now does
>the same then its a setting problem

That's the only thing he hasn't done in troubleshooting - and I
missed it too, post-xmas haze I guess; except, maybe ... ... ...

Did the Dell 920 come with, rebranded or not, Lexmark's "printer
control center" as part of the driver set? Belay that. Sigh.
Hoping to find a link to give you, it would seem they have either
discontinued that control program [in addition to being a tool
for changing defaults, etc., it oversees your ink cartridges,
showing ink levels, warning when replacement is imminent, and,
when new cartridges are installed, running you through alignment
checks of test pages] or changed the name, since I can't find it
on their web site. Never mind, it was only a last gasp thought.
From my speculation below, after you told the program that your
color cartridge alignment test wasn't working, it would only tell
you to reseat and try again, and if failures continue to contact
Lexmark. Sigh.

I have a Z-52 which has operated flawlessly [other than the odd
cockpit problem when I misset some configuration settings as I
moved from Winsomething to Winsomething else - nothing inherent
in the machine and its drivers] since I bought it 4/5 years ago.

From what you have posted, I indeed suspect there is some
manufacturing defect in the cartridge caddy section of your
printer - something physically blocking the ink as it tries to
flow from the cartridge itself - which you have checked out nine
ways from Sunday on another machine - to the sheet of paper. The
most likely place for that to occur is on the printer side of the
cartridge nozzle to cartridge-caddy nozzle interface.

I'd return it for credit/refund, and buy a standard Lexmark [or
whatever printer] instead. Much as I've liked my Z-52, I'd never
buy a Dell-branded Lexmark, I don't like the idea of their
modifying the cartridges so that you have to buy them from Dell
[or refill them yourself].
--
OJ III

Jd

thanks to each and every one of you for your responses, and happy new
year to all. my next step will indeed be to swap printers/computers as
suggested by fixer. which is something that crossed my mind briefly,
but which i hesitated to actually do. most likely won't be able to get
that done until the weekend is over, though. i'll post up once again
when finished with the task to let you all know how it went. or perhaps
i can find time/space for this over the weekend? we'll see : )