marcus

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001

my cousin has been driving me crazy and i was just wondering if he was
right. I ask him during a game how many cards he has and he won't tell me
or i ask him if he has any creatures in his graveyard and he won't tell me
and the reason i ask is to see if i can play a spell like if i want to mind
twist him or anything like that he said there is no rule stating he has to
show me how many cards are in his hand or graveyard and i was wondering who
was right.

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004, Marcus wrote:

> my cousin has been driving me crazy and i was just wondering if he was
> right. I ask him during a game how many cards he has and he won't tell me
> or i ask him if he has any creatures in his graveyard and he won't tell me
> and the reason i ask is to see if i can play a spell like if i want to mind
> twist him or anything like that he said there is no rule stating he has to
> show me how many cards are in his hand or graveyard and i was wondering who
> was right.

You are:

217.3c A player may arrange his or her hand in any convenient fashion
and look at it as much as he or she wishes. A player can't look at the
cards in another player's hand but may count those cards at any time.

217.4b Each graveyard is kept in a single face-up pile. A player can
examine the cards in any graveyard at any time but can't change their
order.
--

David

marcus

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001

David de Kloet <dskloet@cs.vu.nl> wrote in

> On Sun, 12 Sep 2004, Marcus wrote:
>
>> my cousin has been driving me crazy and i was just wondering if he
>> was right. I ask him during a game how many cards he has and he won't
>> tell me or i ask him if he has any creatures in his graveyard and he
>> won't tell me and the reason i ask is to see if i can play a spell
>> like if i want to mind twist him or anything like that he said there
>> is no rule stating he has to show me how many cards are in his hand
>> or graveyard and i was wondering who was right.
>
> You are:
>
> 217.3c A player may arrange his or her hand in any convenient fashion
> and look at it as much as he or she wishes. A player can't look at the
> cards in another player's hand but may count those cards at any time.
>
> 217.4b Each graveyard is kept in a single face-up pile. A player can
> examine the cards in any graveyard at any time but can't change their
> order.

thank you very much dave

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 07:10:49 GMT, Marcus <jojothebadclown@hotmail.com> wrote:
>my cousin has been driving me crazy and i was just wondering if he was
>right. I ask him during a game how many cards he has and he won't tell me

Not right. The number of cards in his hand, and the number of cards in his
library, are both public knowledge; any player can check either one at any
time. (You can't see what cards they ARE, but you get to know how _many_
cards there are.)

>or i ask him if he has any creatures in his graveyard and he won't tell me

Also not right. Graveyards are public information: any player can see what
cards, in what order, are in any graveyard, at any time. They can't change
the order, but they can certainly see which cards are there.

>and the reason i ask is to see if i can play a spell like if i want to mind
>twist him or anything like that he said there is no rule stating he has to
>show me how many cards are in his hand or graveyard and i was wondering who
>was right.

He is not right.

217.2b Each library must be kept in a single face-down pile. Players can't look
at or change the order of cards in a library.

217.2c Any player may count the number of cards remaining in either player's
library at any time.

217.3c A player may arrange his or her hand in any convenient fashion and look
at it as much as he or she wishes. A player can't look at the cards in another
player's hand but may count those cards at any time.

217.4b Each graveyard is kept in a single face-up pile. A player can examine
the cards in any graveyard at any time but can't change their order.

These rules, from the Parts of the Game section of the rulebook, appear to me
to be exactly the rules he's claiming don't exist.

(Rulebook is findable at
http://www.wizards.com/magic/comprules/MagicCompRules060104.txt .)

Dave

peter

dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney) wrote in message news:<slrnck95f8.n5q.dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com>...

> 217.2c Any player may count the number of cards remaining in either player's
> library at any time.

I've had to whip this out on a couple people, as I have a Brain-Freeze
milling deck. If it's close, I ask, "How many cards in your deck?"
which they don't have to answer, but if they get persnickety, I ask to
count their library and use that rule to back it up.

Other times, I just estimate.
(Two Brain Freezes in hand, 8 spells played already, that's 27 + 30,
for 57 cards. I'm pretty sure that'll cover it.)
Peter

***
Brain Freeze {1U}
Instant
Scourge Uncommon
- Target player puts the top three cards of his or her library into
his or her graveyard.
- Storm (When you play this spell, copy it for each spell played
before it this turn. You may choose new targets for the copies.)
***