Flip cards (Champions of Kamigawa)

Last response: in Video Games
Share
September 14, 2004 12:14:10 AM

Finally looked at some of the rumored Kamigawa cards. One thing that
bothers me is the "Flip" cards. Many people tap cards in both
directions (clockwise and counter-clockwise), for example when
attacking with many creatures. There is no rule against this. But
with the introduction of these Flip cards, things can become very
confusing. With several Flip cards on the table, after tapping all of
them to attack, moving them around to determine attack-block pairs,
and opponent taking his turn, is a player sure which were the correct
"flipped" cards?

1) For people who tap cards in both directions, this can be confusing.
2) For people who try to cheat, this can look like an "innocent"
error.
3) For people trying to target tapped Flip cards, this can be a
nightmare.

And I haven't even started talking about changing control of
creatures, phasing out, multi-player games, or even rulings (e.g., on
copy cards). It seems there should be a more permanent indication
(like counters) for "flipped" cards.

Perhaps I am concerned for no good reason?

Ken
September 14, 2004 10:33:08 AM

kfutamura@comcast.net (Ken) wrote in message news:<d069ae6d.0409131914.2132965f@posting.google.com>...
> Finally looked at some of the rumored Kamigawa cards. One thing that
> bothers me is the "Flip" cards. Many people tap cards in both
> directions (clockwise and counter-clockwise), for example when
> attacking with many creatures. There is no rule against this. But
> with the introduction of these Flip cards, things can become very
> confusing. With several Flip cards on the table, after tapping all of
> them to attack, moving them around to determine attack-block pairs,
> and opponent taking his turn, is a player sure which were the correct
> "flipped" cards?
>
> 1) For people who tap cards in both directions, this can be confusing.
> 2) For people who try to cheat, this can look like an "innocent"
> error.
> 3) For people trying to target tapped Flip cards, this can be a
> nightmare.

My son plays his cards upside-down (facing the opponent) so you can
read them. It's a habit he picked up from the guy who taught us both
MtG. On the other hand, I play mine facing me. I could see this
causing some confusion.

Peter
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 1:06:58 PM

Hello, Ken!
You wrote on 13 Sep 2004 20:14:10 -0700:

K> Finally looked at some of the rumored Kamigawa cards. One thing
K> that
K> bothers me is the "Flip" cards. Many people tap cards in both
K> directions (clockwise and counter-clockwise), for example when
K> attacking with many creatures. There is no rule against this.
K> But
K> with the introduction of these Flip cards, things can become very
K> confusing. With several Flip cards on the table, after tapping
K> all of
K> them to attack, moving them around to determine attack-block
K> pairs,
K> and opponent taking his turn, is a player sure which were the
K> correct
K> "flipped" cards?

Yes, that was my concern as well. Although there was a good advice in
one of the preview articles "A bead [denoting that the creature was
already flipped] would suffice..."

Regards,
Arkady.
!