Mike

Splendid

If your computer has disc problems will you get error
messages from XP and MSN that suggest running chkdsk?

The issue is that I am trying to help my 85 year old Dad
to alleviate a run chkdsk problem that keeps popping up.

As we are not in the same city and I am not knowledgeable
as yet on taking over his machine remotely, I cannot tell
if this is simply a spyware problem or whether he should
run chkdsk and that will fix problem.

If I were able to take over his machine would I be able
to reboot and still have that capability to run his
machine?

Thoughts?

I really don't know anything about remote assistance personally, but there
are some very good MSKB articles about it..here is just one. I found this
by going to the MSKB, selecting windows xp and typing in Remote Assistance.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306556

Mike wrote:
> If your computer has disc problems will you get error
> messages from XP and MSN that suggest running chkdsk?
>
> The issue is that I am trying to help my 85 year old Dad
> to alleviate a run chkdsk problem that keeps popping up.
>
> As we are not in the same city and I am not knowledgeable
> as yet on taking over his machine remotely, I cannot tell
> if this is simply a spyware problem or whether he should
> run chkdsk and that will fix problem.
>
> If I were able to take over his machine would I be able
> to reboot and still have that capability to run his
> machine?
>
> Thoughts?
You may wish to go ahead with remotely working on the problem, and you
have gotten some very detailed advice on how to do that from others.
But I've found that chkdsk can report disk errors when there aren't any,
particularly security descriptor errors. I would suggest having your
dad boot up in safe mode (easy enough, just hit F8 while booting), log
on as the administrator (click the administrator icon), and run chkdsk
from the run menu. I find that when I do this, chkdsk does not report
disk errors, whereas when I run it in normal mode, it reports problems
with the Volume Bitmap, and tells me I should run with the /F switch.

Mike

Splendid

Thanks, good stuff! I'll try it.