New Maxtor HDD

Is it possible to setup this new drive in an external firewire enclosure, or
do I need to pull the secondary drive in my PC?
I only want to set this up as additional storage in the firewire enclosure.

I got the maxblast software running but got a popup that "a version of
windows may be present Maxtor recommends you use the windows version." I
tried to continue anyway, and it would not recognize my drive.

So I tried to install to windows, but the result was it wanted to remove
maxblast but pointed to my CD-ROM drive. device not ready etc.
I tried windows add remove it also tried to remove the program from my CD
drive

WD drives went in the enclosure with no problem and then I used disk
management to format and assign a drive letter.

Alright; ready for a new learning experience. :)

Thanks
Bob

Should work fine in an enclosure. Just use Windows to partition and format
it, not maxblast.

Tom
"Leanin' Cedar" <Nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
> Is it possible to setup this new drive in an external firewire enclosure,
> or
> do I need to pull the secondary drive in my PC?
> I only want to set this up as additional storage in the firewire
> enclosure.
>
> I got the maxblast software running but got a popup that "a version of
> windows may be present Maxtor recommends you use the windows version." I
> tried to continue anyway, and it would not recognize my drive.
>
> So I tried to install to windows, but the result was it wanted to remove
> maxblast but pointed to my CD-ROM drive. device not ready etc.
> I tried windows add remove it also tried to remove the program from my CD
> drive
>
> WD drives went in the enclosure with no problem and then I used disk
> management to format and assign a drive letter.
>
> Alright; ready for a new learning experience. :)
>
> Thanks
> Bob

Thanks Tom:
I couldn't figure out why I needed to use Maxblast from the beginning, but I
wanted to follow the instructions.
Formatting as I write.

Bob

"Tom Scales" <tom@scalesfamily.com> wrote in message
> Should work fine in an enclosure. Just use Windows to partition and
> format it, not maxblast.
>
> Tom
> "Leanin' Cedar" <Nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
>> Is it possible to setup this new drive in an external firewire enclosure,
>> or
>> do I need to pull the secondary drive in my PC?
>> I only want to set this up as additional storage in the firewire
>> enclosure.
>>
>> I got the maxblast software running but got a popup that "a version of
>> windows may be present Maxtor recommends you use the windows version." I
>> tried to continue anyway, and it would not recognize my drive.
>>
>> So I tried to install to windows, but the result was it wanted to remove
>> maxblast but pointed to my CD-ROM drive. device not ready etc.
>> I tried windows add remove it also tried to remove the program from my CD
>> drive
>>
>> WD drives went in the enclosure with no problem and then I used disk
>> management to format and assign a drive letter.
>>
>> Alright; ready for a new learning experience. :)
>>
>> Thanks
>> Bob

MaxBlast is there to deal with older operating systems where partitioning and
formatting are less convenient and with BIOSes that have limitations on hard
drive capacity. As far as I am concerned, MaxBlast and its ilk from other
manufacturers are to be avoided... Ben Myers

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:07:34 GMT, "Leanin' Cedar" <Nospam@nospam.org> wrote:

>Thanks Tom:
>I couldn't figure out why I needed to use Maxblast from the beginning, but I
>wanted to follow the instructions.
>Formatting as I write.
>
>Bob
>
>"Tom Scales" <tom@scalesfamily.com> wrote in message
>> Should work fine in an enclosure. Just use Windows to partition and
>> format it, not maxblast.
>>
>> Tom
>> "Leanin' Cedar" <Nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
>>> Is it possible to setup this new drive in an external firewire enclosure,
>>> or
>>> do I need to pull the secondary drive in my PC?
>>> I only want to set this up as additional storage in the firewire
>>> enclosure.
>>>
>>> I got the maxblast software running but got a popup that "a version of
>>> windows may be present Maxtor recommends you use the windows version." I
>>> tried to continue anyway, and it would not recognize my drive.
>>>
>>> So I tried to install to windows, but the result was it wanted to remove
>>> maxblast but pointed to my CD-ROM drive. device not ready etc.
>>> I tried windows add remove it also tried to remove the program from my CD
>>> drive
>>>
>>> WD drives went in the enclosure with no problem and then I used disk
>>> management to format and assign a drive letter.
>>>
>>> Alright; ready for a new learning experience. :)
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Bob

Lesson learned!!!

Bob