new motherboard & XP

I am about to change my motherboard over on my XP Pro machine. It is a
different brand name to the one currently in place with I think different
chipset. Can I do this without having to do a clean install.

TIA
cds
7 answers Last reply
More about motherboard

    Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "cds" wrote:

    | I am about to change my motherboard over on my XP Pro machine. It is a
    | different brand name to the one currently in place with I think different
    | chipset. Can I do this without having to do a clean install.
    |
    | TIA
    | cds

    You will need to do a "repair" install, before booting into XP. A repair
    install does not erase personal file or installed programs.

    However, to do such an repair, you will need a retail XP CDROM (full version
    or update version). If the PC came with XP pre-intalled, like a Dell or
    Gateway, that is an OEM version of XP, and usually does not permit a reapir
    install, assuming that they even gave you a CD.

    Here are some links about repair installs:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

    http://www.extremetech.com/print_article/0,3998,a=23979,00.asp

    "cds" <cdsaus2001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    >I am about to change my motherboard over on my XP Pro machine. It is a
    >different brand name to the one currently in place with I think different
    >chipset. Can I do this without having to do a clean install.
    >
    > TIA
    > cds

    "cds" <cdsaus2001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    >I am about to change my motherboard over on my XP Pro machine. It is a
    >different brand name to the one currently in place with I think different
    >chipset. Can I do this without having to do a clean install.
    >
    > TIA
    > cds

    Perform a repair install (use Method 2)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

    --
    William

    cds wrote:
    > I am about to change my motherboard over on my XP Pro machine. It is a
    > different brand name to the one currently in place with I think different
    > chipset. Can I do this without having to do a clean install.
    >
    > TIA
    > cds

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
    and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
    before starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
    (same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
    one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
    need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
    the very least:

    The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
    licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this
    point. You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the
    OS. (If you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as
    picking up a Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch
    style foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K
    before it, is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to
    accepting any old hardware configuration you throw at it. On
    installation it "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This
    is one of the reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much
    more stable than the Win9x group.

    important data before starting.

    This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
    Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more
    than 120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key,
    you'll most likely be able to activate via the Internet without
    problem. If it's been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone
    call.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    In news:422bc3ef$0$5190$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au,
    cds <cdsaus2001@yahoo.com.au> respectfully replied ;-)
    > I am about to change my motherboard over on my XP Pro machine. It is a
    > different brand name to the one currently in place with I think
    > different chipset. Can I do this without having to do a clean install.
    >
    > TIA
    > cds

    Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
    if using the web based newsgroup.
    Move XP to new hardware.
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

    In article <eUuv1MsIFHA.3876@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
    Bob Harris <rharris270[SPAM]@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >You will need to do a "repair" install, before booting into XP. A repair
    >install does not erase personal file or installed programs.
    >
    >However, to do such an repair, you will need a retail XP CDROM (full version
    >or update version). If the PC came with XP pre-intalled, like a Dell or
    >Gateway, that is an OEM version of XP, and usually does not permit a reapir
    >install, assuming that they even gave you a CD.

    Don't you mean that an OEM version of XP won't re-authorize? I'd hate
    to think I couldn't do a repair-install on my machine if my OS screws
    up but I'm not changing the mobo.

    --

    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    Thanks all - most helpful
    "cds" <cdsaus2001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    >I am about to change my motherboard over on my XP Pro machine. It is a
    >different brand name to the one currently in place with I think different
    >chipset. Can I do this without having to do a clean install.
    >
    > TIA
    > cds

Motherboards Windows XP