new motherboard & XP

a b V Motherboard
March 7, 2005 4:00:47 PM

I am about to change my motherboard over on my XP Pro machine. It is a
different brand name to the one currently in place with I think different
chipset. Can I do this without having to do a clean install.

TIA
cds

More about : motherboard

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 7, 2005 4:00:48 PM

Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"cds" wrote:

| I am about to change my motherboard over on my XP Pro machine. It is a
| different brand name to the one currently in place with I think different
| chipset. Can I do this without having to do a clean install.
|
| TIA
| cds
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 7, 2005 4:00:48 PM

You will need to do a "repair" install, before booting into XP. A repair
install does not erase personal file or installed programs.

However, to do such an repair, you will need a retail XP CDROM (full version
or update version). If the PC came with XP pre-intalled, like a Dell or
Gateway, that is an OEM version of XP, and usually does not permit a reapir
install, assuming that they even gave you a CD.

Here are some links about repair installs:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

http://www.extremetech.com/print_article/0,3998,a=23979...

"cds" <cdsaus2001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>I am about to change my motherboard over on my XP Pro machine. It is a
>different brand name to the one currently in place with I think different
>chipset. Can I do this without having to do a clean install.
>
> TIA
> cds

a b V Motherboard
March 7, 2005 4:00:48 PM

"cds" <cdsaus2001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>I am about to change my motherboard over on my XP Pro machine. It is a
>different brand name to the one currently in place with I think different
>chipset. Can I do this without having to do a clean install.
>
> TIA
> cds

Perform a repair install (use Method 2)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

--
William
Anonymous

cds wrote:
> I am about to change my motherboard over on my XP Pro machine. It is a
> different brand name to the one currently in place with I think different
> chipset. Can I do this without having to do a clean install.
>
> TIA
> cds

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
before starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
(same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
the very least:

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=K...;EN-US;Q315341

The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this
point. You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the
OS. (If you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as
picking up a Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch
style foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K
before it, is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to
accepting any old hardware configuration you throw at it. On
installation it "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This
is one of the reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much
more stable than the Win9x group.

important data before starting.

This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more
than 120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key,
you'll most likely be able to activate via the Internet without
problem. If it's been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone
call.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 7, 2005 4:00:48 PM

In news:422bc3ef$0$5190$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au,
cds <cdsaus2001@yahoo.com.au> respectfully replied ;-)
> I am about to change my motherboard over on my XP Pro machine. It is a
> different brand name to the one currently in place with I think
> different chipset. Can I do this without having to do a clean install.
>
> TIA
> cds

Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
if using the web based newsgroup.
Move XP to new hardware.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

In article <eUuv1MsIFHA.3876@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
Bob Harris <rharris270[SPAM]@hotmail.com> wrote:
>You will need to do a "repair" install, before booting into XP. A repair
>install does not erase personal file or installed programs.
>
>However, to do such an repair, you will need a retail XP CDROM (full version
>or update version). If the PC came with XP pre-intalled, like a Dell or
>Gateway, that is an OEM version of XP, and usually does not permit a reapir
>install, assuming that they even gave you a CD.

Don't you mean that an OEM version of XP won't re-authorize? I'd hate
to think I couldn't do a repair-install on my machine if my OS screws
up but I'm not changing the mobo.

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.