R9600Pro and those damn artifacts

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
I just bought a new powered by ATI but manufactured by Gigacube Radeon 9600 pro. at first it worked just fine but after playing a game from a few minutes certain objects started to flash on the screen. when i returned to the desktop i saw it was covered with small (about 15px wide and 4px tall) light blue rectanglers. I did the following: rebooted, reinstalled drivers, non-quick format and installation of win2k, installing all the drivers on the new OS. after i took out the card and cooled it a bit (although it was already pretty cool) then put it back the problem went away. so i reinstalled winxp installed all the drivers again and everything was great until i played a different game for 10 minutes, then it came back.
i dont know what to do, i read here that i should check my memory, but it's fine.
if you give me an email i can send a screenshot
my system (1 day old):
P4 2.4GHZ HT
Abit IS7-E mobo
2x 256MB 400MHZ Corsair LL
Maxtor 40G HD
Radeon 9600PRO by Gigacube

Coppermine, Banias, Opteron, Prescott, Barton... How 'bout investing less in the CPU and more in its name?

bigtesla99

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
We recommended to the guy with similar problems on the R9800 to check all hardware connections (agp slot and monitor). If all drivers are up to date (also BIOS flashed to latest rev.) and ram/cpu/system core is okay, then this is probably a hardware issue. Sometimes I've seen this problem go away by changing RAM brands...any ultra techie out there know if certain system RAMs can clash with GFX performances?

You can't solve current problems with current thinking... current problems are the result of current thinking. -Albert Einstein

bigtesla99

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
also, make sure your card isn't overheating; this could certainly cause artifacts and could explain the overall wierdness several minutes into gameplay (card could be slowly overheating)

You can't solve current problems with current thinking... current problems are the result of current thinking. -Albert Einstein

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
I here a lot of things particularly in this forum about graphical anomalies with radeons...hence my decision to stay with Nvidia's FX5900 Ultra.

Give a lazy man an easy job and he'll find an easier way of doing it.

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
I here a lot of things particularly in this forum about graphical anomalies with radeons...hence my decision to stay with Nvidia's FX5900 Ultra.

Give a lazy man an easy job and he'll find an easier way of doing it.

davepermen

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002

reason: people don't buy gfFX because they just suck:D

btw: i think, too, the card gets too hot. then again, my card is in a freakin small freakin stupid case, and has no problems, and is a radeon9700pro..

possibly the card or anything else in your configuration has a technical problem..

"take a look around" - limp bizkit

www.google.com

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
I used Sandra to check everything concerning the AGP, I reinstalled the chipset drivers (although it was the same version) and I did no overclocking to anything. also, I dont think it's heating cause even after letting the computer sit with no case the whole night, there were still rectangels...
Speaking of memory... when i ordered it I asked for CMX256A-3200LL, and the website said the timings were: 2-3-2-6-T1. My Bios says it's something else, a lot worse. could it be that the heat spreader says one thing and under it theres a different memory and I'm getting screwed? could it be that this is affecting my AGP connection?

Coppermine, Banias, Opteron, Prescott, Barton... How 'bout investing less in the CPU and more in its name?

vfrhawk

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2003
Had the same problem with a 9700 Pro I bought last week from eBay. Spoke to the guy I bought it from and he sent me a small patch to run in DOS - looked like it flashed the cards BIOS - which cured all these probs. Don´t know how to link files in here, so send me your e-mail address and I´ll mail to you. No guarantees, but it cured my prob straight off. Had the same as you, random squares on the screen after a few minutes in games, and a strange triangle effect all over the screen.

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
my e-mail is ytoleda@inter.net.il, appriciate your help!

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
It didnt, sais that it could not find adaptor 0, probably because we have different cards

Freakin GigaCube, I f'in Hate Their stuff! Their Cardz suck! RMA it ASAFP! I have posted many links showing the poor quality of their cards, and the 'issues' surrounding even their naming scheme (differes from ATIs)

Ok after saying that, I'll add I've never seen that on my 9600Pro. I've seen something similar on my friends computer but it was a monitor driver issue. HE re-installed the proper monitor drivers and all the 'highlighting' disappeared. He was running an origianl ATI Radeon but it all came down to the monitor drivers. Now this MAY not be the case here, just telling you what I've persoanlly seen.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
I took a screen shot and viewed it on a different computer and there still were artifacts, so it's not the monitor, right?

No what I'm saying is it may be a monitor DRIVER issue and a screen capture of the same conflict will look the same on any computer/monitor.

What I'm saying is make sure you have the latest drivers FOR YOUR MONITOR, it may be causing issue, especially if you haven't loaded ANY monitor drivers and it is running as a plug-and-play monitor. This may not be your issue, it's just the one that I've personally encountered that sounds exactly the same.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Don't worry your memory is fine. Words and names are escaping me at the moment, but there is a chip on the ram that sends out information as to what timings should be run at default. These are very conservative, and the ram is rated for faster timings, which you should be able to adjust manually in your BIOS.

What you got screwed with was that GIGACUBE (pos) Radeon.
RMA it and either give GIGACUBE (pos) another chance, or go with another brand.

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

bigtesla99

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
exactly!