High-end CRT?

darint

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2004
Looking for a "High-end" CRT to be used for professional graphics viewing (medical image viewing)
Looking to spend about $1000 or less. From what i gather, pixel pitch < .25, high contrast ratio, good color depth, and brightness are what i'm after. Any suggestions for particularly good models?
Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wow, I'm not used to that end of the scale. I've always liked Hitachi's inexpensive .22mm dp tubes. Samsung has some VERY nice monitors that would likely suit your needs.

Most of the monitors I've gotten from medical imaging labs were somewhat damaged by nearby equipment, causing color distortion that a simple degause couldn't correct. Wouldn't a digital flat panel be suitable?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I think crashman is right that an lcd would be better. If you have your heart set on a crt and there isn't anything around that would distort it then you might want to look into the Sony Artisan color reference 21" CRT.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

darint

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2004
I have a dell ultrasharp 19"lcd and the images look slightly better (but not as bright!) on my old dell crt. I think it has something to do with higher contrast ratios of CRT?
Anyway, i'm working at home, so getting messed up by equipment at the hospital isn't a problem.

I've looked at the Sony Artisan a bit - any good reason that the price is 1000 times higher than all other apparently comparable CRT's? Thanks for your help.

RichPLS

Champion
Top-of-the-line LCDs have become very good in the past year or two, and even moderately priced CRT monitors can do a decent job when properly calibrated and profiled with a third party spyder and software.
But the top end CRT's are a must have for Medical community and high end grafix design...

Specs:
Color Temperature 11000-5000K, sRGB
CRT FD Trinitron CRT
Dimensions (WxHxD inch): 19.6 x 19.7 x 19.2
Grille Type: Aperture Grille
Horizontal Freq. (kHz) 30-130
Plug & Play: DDC 2B/2Bi
Power Consumption: 135W
Recomemded Resolution 1800 x 1440 @85Hz
Screen Size / Viewable Image Size: 21"/19.8"
Screen Surface Treatment: Hgh Contrast -AR coating
Swivel Adjust: +90°
TCO TCO '99
Tilt Adjust: -5° to +15°
USB N/A
Vertical Refresh (Hz): 48-170
Warranty: Limited Warranty (3 Years Parts, Labor, CRT)
Weight (Monitor): 67.4 lbs
Design Color: Dark Grey Cabinet with L50 Neutral Grey Bezel
Maximum Resolution 2048 x 1536
Aperture Grille Pitch 0.24 mm
Signal Input Connector(s): HD15/HD15
Accessories Kit: Attachable Display Hood, Artisan" Signal Cable, HD15~HD15 Video Signal Cable, AC Power Cord, Display User Manual (English, Spanish, French), Artisan" System User Manual (English, Spanish, French), Quick Set-up Guide, Artisan" Color Reference Sensor, Artisan" Color Reference Software CD-ROM

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Most of the price is probably the calibration hardware/software, that little thing stuck on the screen.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

RichPLS

Champion
Most of the price is probably the calibration hardware/software, that little thing stuck on the screen.
Recomemded Resolution 1800 x 1440 @85Hz
Maximum Resolution 2048 x 1536
Aperture Grille Pitch 0.24 mm
Horizontal Freq. (kHz) 30-130
Vertical Refresh (Hz): 48-170

Not exactly your run of the mill specs...