Colorless Spells (inspired by the "Type Combinations" subj..

What do you think the chances are of wizards making colorless spells
someday? They wouldn't be artifacts obviously, but just
artifact-card-colored instant or what-have-you.

example:

Card_X
6
Instant
Choose two permanents. Return one to
owner's hand and ~ does 2 damage the
other.

Any wacko repercussions of colorless spells?

Rick Kunkel

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:59:04 -0700, Rick Kunkel
<NOSPAM-kunkel@w-link.net> wrote:

>What do you think the chances are of wizards making colorless spells
>someday?
Hmm, not very big - but of course they just might suprise us...

>Any wacko repercussions of colorless spells?
None that I can think of, except that it would mess completely with
the color-wheel.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

Rick Kunkel, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
> What do you think the chances are of wizards making colorless spells
> someday? They wouldn't be artifacts obviously, but just
> artifact-card-colored instant or what-have-you.

I'll be surprised if it doesn't happen *someday*, but don't expect it to
happen soon or often. Under normal circumstances, they'd just print
things like the Spellbombs instead; this would be a block mechanic, and
probably one to use rather sparingly at that.

> example:
>
> Card_X
> 6
> Instant
> Choose two permanents. Return one to
> owner's hand and ~ does 2 damage the
> other.
>

> Any wacko repercussions of colorless spells?

Ruleswise? None that I can think of. They'd have to be priced *very*
carefully, though - you don't want them to be much better at any one
thing than the *worst* color is at it, or people will use them to
overcome the weaknesses the colors are supposed to have. The danger
here, of course, is making them so expensive and/or drawback-laden that
no-one wants to use them.

Still, similar constraints exist for artifacts and we've nevertheless
just seen a block with unprecedented numbers of those, so never say
never, especially when it comes to the current R&D people.